Nucor Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nucor CEO John J. Ferriola
John J. Ferriola

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours leading to inefficient use of time just to meet minimum work week expectations (in 7 reviews)

• The work/life balance is very poor (in 4 reviews)

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Electrical Tech in Huger, SC
    Current Employee - Electrical Tech in Huger, SC

I have been working at Nucor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nucor is a great company that tries to put its people first. They are focused on safety and making money. The majority of our pay comes from hourly bonuses that multiply our base rate by percentage. If you earn $15/hr and have a bonus of 200% you get an additional $30/hr added to your base pay for a total of $45/hr. Looking at the base pay of most people (at or below $18/hr) it doesn't come across as a high paying job. However most people in technical positions break $100k by October.
    People are friendly and have an interest in your personal life. It is like a big family. If you want to learn something here you can. Cross training is encouraged and people are eager to share what they know. Also shift work is 4 12 hr. days in a row followed by 4 days off. Plenty of time to pursue other interests.

Cons

The environment is the hardest part. My Nucor plant is in the south and many days in the mill are over 100 degrees. The process is beyond filthy. If you have an aversion to dirt, grease, oil, dust, or grime of any kind don't even bother taking a tour. Just walking into the offices will get you a bit dirty!
    The work is physically grueling also. Fire retardant clothing, heavy steel metatarsal boots, hard hat, ear plugs... all in a mill that produces steam and massive amounts of heat. Lots of stairs and cramped spaces to fit into and work. Ear-splitting noise means you must shout to talk to people when out in the mill. Also the schedule mentioned above is rotating between days and nights. Every other week you're subjected to a 12 hr jet lag.
    All said the good outweighs the bad. Nucor does what it can to mitigate the problems mentioned above but it's the process of steel making that is really the issue, not the company itself.

Advice to Management

I am proud to work at Nucor. Please continue to be good stewards of the environment. We're the largest recycler in North America and that's something to be proud of. If the new administration succeeds in defunding the EPA to help the bottom line of a wealthy few, I challenge Nucor to stay the course and not relax its responsibilities to the environment and the people of our community, even if it helps our bottom line. At the end of the day we must remember: we can neither eat nor breathe money.

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Nucor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nucor hires really smart, dedicated people who are really great to work with. The teammates have a lot of opportunities to take on new responsibilities and grow within their positions.

Cons

In a lot of areas, there isn't a lot of room for advancement. Antiquated vacation policy. Overly concerned with lean staffing over excessive consulting costs.

3. "Great company"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Birmingham, AL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Nucor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nucor provided me with a lot of opportunity while working as an intern. I was able to work on real projects and see that I was making a difference.

Cons

Alabama is very hot in the summer. The humidity is extreme and working in a melt shop is pretty miserable. Overall though I would not let this scare you away. Interning with Nucor was a great experience.

Advice to Management

The original housing that I was put in was in a bad part of town and gave me a very bad initial impression of the company. While you did fix this I feel like you hurt your recruiting buy using the cheapest housing you could possibly find.

"Great Team to work with!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ahoskie, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ahoskie, NC

I have been working at Nucor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enabled to do what I need and to advance to any position in the company that I am willing to accept. Each division operates independently allowing for flexibility and quick responses.

Cons

Our team is held accountable. We are allowed to make mistakes, as long as you learn from them. (Not really a con, unless you are lazy or unwilling to be held accountable for your actions.)

Advice to Management

Don't become centralized. The divisions remaining autonomous has always been a strength of the company and this is needed to stay flexible and respond in a changing market environment,

"Hot but rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, NY

Pros

Safety is the utmost important thing. Nucor prides itself for striving to be the industry standard when it comes to the safety of its employees. The pay is better than any other steel mill in the country.

Cons

The hours are long and the work can be strenuous. You also have to work a rotating shift if you are on production.

Advice to Management

Go to a straight night shift and straight day shift.

"Great Compny"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Decatur, AL

I worked at Nucor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture is incredible. Safety is alway still first and team members work together. There really is a family atmosphere.

Cons

If you just want to coast along in your job, you will be run out by the other teammates. Everyone gets a bonus and profit sharing.

Advice to Management

Sometimes there are golden boys in the company and other employees that want to advance don't feel like they have a chance.

8. "It's Their Nature"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Jewett, TX
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Jewett, TX

I worked at Nucor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People are wonderful. Kind, helpful, hilarious.
    Benefits are great, work environment is laid-back.

Cons

The commute was the con. Jewett is a tiny town, their grocery is a Brookshire Brother's store.

9. "Safety Intern"

Former Employee - Safety Intern in Loveland, OH
    Former Employee - Safety Intern in Loveland, OH

I worked at Nucor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity. Team members all look out for you, so much that it feels like family. Loved working at the Decatur mill.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company, had a great experience.

10. "Safety Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Decatur, AL

Pros

Great safety culture and employees

Cons

Plant is really greasy and dusty

11. "Melt Shop Electrical Intern"

Current Employee - MS ELEC in Cofield, NC
    Current Employee - MS ELEC in Cofield, NC

Pros

Great Place to work and great people to work with

Cons

The environment is very unforgiving but keeps you on your toes!

Advice to Management

None