Nuffield Health Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

London, England (UK)

2.7
Steve Gray

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free gym membership, discounts & offers (in 13 reviews)

• Free private healthcare, free gym membership at any Nuffield gym in the country (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • At times it was understaffed leading to long hours for some (in 5 reviews)

• senior management do not seem to care about anyone else (in 5 reviews)

1. "Good Health!!"

Current Freelancer - Fitness Coach in London, England (UK)
    Current Freelancer - Fitness Coach in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good up to date facilities, friendly staff, members and clients are always joining so growing the business.

Cons

The studio environment can be a bit dusty around equipment music too loud in gy floors and could have cleaner studios with environmentally friendly cleaning products and better air conditioning when it is too cold or too hot they should know in advance to adjust. Yoga mats can smell bad after a while.

"Poor pay at all levels"

Former Employee - Fitness Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Fitness Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Nuffield Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As with all gyms and fitness centres, the team becomes very close and you are able to make some good friends. This is mainly due to the us vs. them attitude that working for such a top heavy organisation fosters (I find the term charity shouldnt apply to Nuffield Health, it seems this is merely to enable tax breaks).

Cons

The pay is terrible. Having central London gyms run by employees on near-minimum wage is unacceptable. Fitness and well-being instructors must work 60-70+ hour weeks earning money through personal training to simply afford a decent living standard. We constantly received emails telling us how well the company was doing, but saw nothing ourselves in terms of pay increase

Advice to Management

Spread some money around. Your gym staff worharder than you likely ever have - reward them with actual money, not just some quidco style points scheme of which you undoubtedly receive referralbonuses bonuses from.

Sep 5, 2017 – Digital Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for sharing your recent feedback. We operate as a not for profit organisation as this enables all of our income to be invested back into operating and developing our health and wellbeing... More

"Poor management and short sightedness."

Current Employee - Doctor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Doctor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Nuffield Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable training.
    Healthcare included.
    Pleasant work environment.

Cons

Poor support.
    Minimal response to concerns.
    Shortsighted management policies.
    Lack of concern over employee health despite Nuffield 'philosophy '.
    Lack of consideration.
    Managers that I have had to deal with lack ability.

Advice to Management

If you spend time and effort to recruit and train an employee; have systems in place that listens to concerns and respects those concerns.
    I am being forced to resign because despite pre-emptively requesting managers not to increase my work load while changes in our systems were being introduced (G2) this was done . Plus there is another issue that I will explain to senior management later. I was happy and productive until ridiculous management decisions were made. So soon you will need to spend time filling a vacancy, train and wait until the new employee gets up to speed. What was gained by the ridiculous decisions was possibly £1000 and a lot of late reports to demaning clients. What you will lose is 000s in lost revenue. This mainly is the responsibility of the senior management who set theses 'policies'.

Aug 14, 2017 – Digital Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback of your recent employment with us, we're very disappointed to hear this and would like to re-assure you that this doesn't reflect the values and culture that we... More

"Cleaner"

Former Employee - Cleaner in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Cleaner in London, England (UK)

I worked at Nuffield Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work in general

Cons

No proper checklist .the one in place for a week took about 10 mins to fill and check your own job a manager with no cleaning experience at cleaning and thinking a part time cleaner has the same time in which the part cleaner can do the same has the full time cleaner - after the build not getting proper clean done all full cleaning wasn't done - she dislike when someone spotted how dirty the changing rooms was and I was gonna scrub - the looks - any ways on the whole I had over 30 years of cleaning under my belt and never seen it badly run from the cleaning side of things -nit picking because I was always ready at 10 pm that's was the end of my shift when I seen the other cleaner suppose to leave at six but always see her on a 10am to 6pm shift leave early any way but I say thankyou for giving me a chance I did enjoy the cleaning side the manager side due to lack of the expreince was a let down

Advice to Management

watch your staff and improve or replace them

Jul 4, 2017 – Digital Talent Acquisition Manager

5. "Hard work and fun"

Former Employee - Administrative Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrative Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Nuffield Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people. Such a great mix of people. From head office to the cleaners. Everyday is different, always something to do and learn. Great place for personal development with good support and encouragement. Company reinvests in staff constantly. Has a great plan in place for the public. Makes huge efforts to change lifestyles of members and staff for the better.

Cons

Salary much better in management positions than when starting out although the they do have a better than minimum wage wage. Still not good for a London club for any person to be on less that £8p/hr, not in this financial climate. The company has to many processes and meetings about meetings. If we could just send and email or complete an online form and things would work just as fine then we should do that.

Aug 30, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist – Group

Thank you for your feedback on your recent employment with us. It's great to hear your positive feedback on our values and culture.
    We do take all feedback seriously and are always looking to make... More

6. "Good benefits eg health"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Nuffield Health (More than a year)

Pros

Healthcare, gyms etc are good

Cons

No bonus, incentives, ever changing workforce

Advice to Management

Give more incentives and diversity to roles

May 10, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist – Group

Thank you for your review, it's great to hear what you like about working for Nuffield Health.

We're making sure we listen to 'cons' and would like the opportunity to discuss this with you. If... More

"A good stepping stone but definitely not a long-term career."

Current Employee - Health and Wellbeing Physiologist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Health and Wellbeing Physiologist in London, England (UK)

Pros

The company funds an advanced professional diploma in health and wellbeing physiology.
    Quick progression (but poor salary)
    Free gym membership.
    Good clinical experience.
    Good stepping stone into more recognised clinical roles.

Cons

Lack of admin time to complete work duties as well as diploma, expected to complete your diploma in your own time.
    Discrepancies in pay for people working in the same position as each other .
    Very limited CPD available to physiologists (apart from the diploma) unless you have been working for the company for over 2 years.
    You can be made to travel to different London sites every day, which is tiring and impacts morale.
    If you leave the company within 3 years you have to pay back mandatory training such as ILS and Phlebotomy, which you cannot work without.
    Senior management impose their authority on you.
    No incentive or bonuses for hard working individuals/sites.

Advice to Management

Physiologists should not be expected to pay back mandatory training such as ILS and Phlebotomy.
    It should be clearly stated in the interview process that physiologists what 'mobile' means expected to move sites frequently.
    Senior management should provide more incentives/bonuses to exceptional physiologists to recognise and encourage their hard work.

May 10, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist – Group

8. "Health and Wellbeing Physiologist"

Former Employee - Health and Wellbeing Physiologist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Health and Wellbeing Physiologist in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good upskilling
    Exposure to many areas of health and wellness
    Great colleagues

Cons

Main tasks and duties extremely repetitive
    Low salary
    Progression quick but limited

Advice to Management

Don't progress people into senior roles so quickly, give them more time to learn or at least provide staff with more tools to be able to step into the role.

Incentive or commission scheme would be a good addition to increase low basic salary

9. "GOOD"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

very very good
    free gym membership
    lovely team
    great manager
    good mix of customers
    always busy

Cons

nothing i had a very good time one could would probably be that sometimes i had to stay on till 10pm which is quite late

Advice to Management

All very good no advice i could give very fun time very supportive and nice people would work for again

10. "Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Free private healthcare, free gym membership at any Nuffield gym in the country.Multiple benefits i.e.10% off at various hairdresser, % off cinema tickets, theme parks etc.

Cons

Sometimes staff shortages, parking within the grounds.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff