Nulogy Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nulogy CEO Jason Tham
Jason Tham

1. "Politics and Egos"

I worked at Nulogy (Less than a year)

Pros

They had a good product and top level leadership had great vision, ideas and beliefs.

Cons

At the mid-management level, there was a lot of politics and egos. People were more concerned with how they were perceived versus what they were actually doing. There was also a high degree of toxicity, with managers mocking people, or continually telling stories about previous "idiots" they had to fire in the past.

Advice to Management

Ensure your values are being practiced on the front lines.

Nulogy Response

Apr 21, 2015 – COO

On behalf of the leadership team at Nulogy, thank you for this feedback. We certainly do not take such comments lightly, as indeed this is very much counter to the culture we cherish and work hard to ... More

"Product Team Member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Nulogy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Awesome culture
    - Unlimited vacations
    - Great leadership
    - Downtown Toronto location
    - Transparency in executive decision making
    - Free snacks, coffee/tea
    - great potential for growth

Cons

- Salaries are on the low end of the market. Nevertheless, this is based on data from one person (myself).
    - Internships biased towards Waterloo students. Although Waterloo University produces quality students, the diversity of the workplace may be enhanced by opening doors to interns from other universities.

Advice to Management

I am generally pleased with Management at Nulogy. There is a need to hire more middle management, as I believe this will enable the company to grow faster than the current pace.

"Best Thing That Happened to The Tech Industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Nulogy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've searched a long time for a place that enables all team members to be themselves with trust and autonomy.

Nulogy is a truly unique place, team members are treated with respect and compassion. These are easy values to preach and discuss, but, incredibly hard to carry out in practice. Here, you won't find buzzwords and catchphrases, instead, if you're lucky to land a job here, you'll find yourself.

Working at Nulogy has shown me, I do my best work when there is a place/team that enables me to bring my ideas to life and values my opinions. I've spent the past two years working hard and feeling great about my work and who I am as a person. With emphasis on your personal and professional growth, no workplace politics, and every team rooting for your success, you'll stop re-defining yourself to fit someone else's definition of success and instead pursue your own.

Oh, and even with this much autonomy, the standards are still higher than any other place I've ever seen.

If you're looking for a place that inspires you to set big goals in your life and empowers you to meet them, this is it.

Cons

I really can't think of any specific cons.

My potential future concerns (as it would be for any other company that experiences fast growth) is Nulogy's ability to maintain the phenomenal culture as the team grows bigger.

Advice to Management

Please continue to listen to your employees. You're doing a great job so far understanding that having a great product gets you halfway there ... your compassion and humanity is what keeps you at the top.

"Decent but Overhyped (Software Engineer)"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Paired programming early on, the employees are free of ego or attitude (mostly), management is fairly transparent, the agile coaches run interesting and helpful sessions for various team members.

Cons

The product is nothing more than a bloated CRUD app, the codebase is in a... questionable state, you won't see much in terms of growth or challenges working on the problems Nulogy faces (most of which are self-inflicted) and the paired programming gets old fast. Some of these stem from management being inexperienced (this is the only company most of them have really worked at for any serious amount of time) but I can hardy blame them, at least they're trying.

The infrastructure team is incredibly dubious and unprofessional but for some inexplicable reason has the backing of the CTO and thus remains unchanged.

A lot of Nulogy engineers think it's the cream of the crop but I get the impression that this is due to them having previously worked at poorly managed big corp X or coming from a bootcamp. Having had experience at other companies of similar size I can say I've consistently seen it done better elsewhere. Nulogy management and practices are ok, not amazing so take the other glassdoor reviews with a pinch of salt, some of them are doing serious kool-aid drinking.

Advice to Management

Give teams more autonomy to decide which domains they own and hire more experienced devs to help re-architect this mess instead of bringing in more inexperienced bootcamp grads

Nulogy Response

Dec 15, 2016 – CTO

Thank you for your feedback, both the pros and cons. I enjoyed reading the critical feedback because it’s a great opportunity to reflect on how we do things. I’d like to address each of your points ... More

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Nulogy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is extremely smart, driven and wants to help achieve the company vision. The office is friendly, great team events and everyone has fun. I believe this company will do very very well in the future.

Cons

The office space is a little crammed. The product teams lack strong management and guidance.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your employees engaged and driven - they are after all the most important part of your organization. The development team is in need of some better guidance and management at the top.

"Lucky to work at such a great place"

I have been working at Nulogy full-time

Pros

It is hard to craft a good culture within teams, let alone big teams-- Nulogy has done an amazing job at this and gone above what I have seen at any other company.

The inspiring work culture shows itself in little ways that come together and make a big picture. For example, the founders of Nulogy are humble, and truly care about their teams. They are not locked in "executive offices" but sit and work among us, and are part of the teams we are on. When I joined I was taken aback at how much trust they had in me, and how they defaulted to delegation rather than telling me what to do.

I'm lucky because I get to work with many members of various teams and it feels like I'm partnered with extremely smart individuals who are easy to work alongside and truly care about what they are doing.There have been many instances of people going out of their way to help me out and it is very refreshing to be on a team like this. Some people have been on the Nulogy team for 5+ years and that is really rare in a tech company, so it speaks to the culture here.

The dt office and benefits/perks are a nice bonus of course, but it's really the team that has made working at Nulogy a pleasure to come into every morning.

I feel luck that I work here! Can't say enough good things.

Cons

Like I mentioned, the teams default to delegation, meaning that you are given trust and autonomy to get your work done and can ask for support or more advice if needed. If you've never worked like this before it can be challenging to get used to. While I was onboarded and given a lot of support and guidance, right away there were bigger decisions that I was delegated to make on my own. If you're not someone that can handle working like this, probably not the place for you.

Also, almost every team has fairly flattened hierarchies, so you won't be jumping around and given title-promotions every year to "senior XYZ" or "team lead", so if you're looking for upward mobility in job titles it won't really happen here (but on the other hand you really grow as a person and get better at your craft rather than chasing titles).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and preserve the amazing Nulogy culture as we continue to grow and hire more people.

"The real deal"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Nulogy full-time

Pros

After a few previous stints, I didn't think a place like Nulogy existed. It really is that white unicorn of a dev shop!

- Founders that "get it"
    - 100% buy in for the right way to develop: TDD, XP, Self managed teams
    - Very healthy culture: everyone is engaged and happy to be there
    - Development team as a whole is a very high quality
    - A constant focus on learning and bettering yourself
    - Excellent company outings building team culture and morale
    - Entire senior management team is very approachable and humble

If you are someone who is wondering what other dev shops are like: Yes the grass is greener!

Cons

No clear career advancement (if that's something that's important to you). The advancement you get at Nulogy is really from within; a self-bettering philosophy.

Advice to Management

Stay humble. Don't lower your bar for talent or excellence as we grow as a company.

"Happy to get up every morning to work here!"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Nulogy (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flat organization
    - Small teams
    - Great cross team collaboration
    - Everyone adopts effective decision making techniques
    - Open learning space every month
    - Continuous improvement practices
    - Unlimited vacation
    - Great onboarding process (Site tours are helpful)
    - Lots of transparency of company's health
    - Feels like a big family (where you know everyones' names)

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep up the great work environment as we hire more people.

"Look No Further, This is the Real (Big) Thing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Nulogy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A true collaborative, customer-focused culture... and still like a family
    - Brilliant people who are humble enough to listen and work with each other regardless of background or experience
    - You get to solve big problems for big markets... every... day
    - Recognized in the industry (both tech and supply chain) as fast growing (Deloitte Fast 50), innovator (Gartner Cool Vendor) and employer (AON Hewitt Best Employer 2015 and 2016)

Cons

- They are very capital efficient. So if you're looking for a high gloss, swanky environment... this is not for you

Advice to Management

Keep your focus and keep your talent. Those two things make a world of difference!

"Great Company, Great People"

I have been working at Nulogy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Amazing company culture
    -Great Leadership
    -Constant learning oppertunities

Cons

-Company is young, still lacks some of the formal processes