Numeric Investors LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Numeric Investors LLC Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2018

Found 15 reviews

4.3
Numeric Investors LLC CEO Shanta Puchtler (no image)
Shanta Puchtler

"Great company to work"

I have been working at Numeric Investors LLC full-time

Pros

The moral is good, people are nice, and there is an entrepreneurial atmosphere, especially in the research department. Good pay, plenty of corporate events, wine-tasting Fridays, to compensate brilliant and hard-working people.

Cons

Nothing I can think of... If any, you have to be self-motivated for pushing forward your projects.

Numeric Investors LLC2018-07-30

"Fantastic high energy quant"

Investment Production Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Numeric Investors LLC for less than a year

Pros

Willingness to teach, startup mentally in a test of time proven company, they want you to come up with new ideas and innovate, great people, clan/family mentality, lot of customization, everyone wants you to do well, great technology

Cons

Huge learning curve, you can’t always “shut off” when you leave work, not a direct onboarding process (pro and a con)

Advice to Management

I don’t think I’ve been here long enough to know what advice to give

Numeric Investors LLC2017-12-16
  3. "Quantitative Research - Intern"

Former Intern - Quantitative Research Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Numeric Investors LLC for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work, culture of collaboration and research/entrepreneurship. Interns are assigned individual projects and supervisors. Great learning opportunities throughout the placement. People from all the departments (Research, PM, Trading etc.) are very accessible. Relatively small structure with little bureaucracy.

Cons

Not many/ any negative aspects

Numeric Investors LLC2017-12-05
  4. "Great place to work and friendly culture."

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Numeric Investors LLC

Pros

I think Numeric is a great place to work. The people are intelligent, collaborative, and friendly. The work was very interesting, and people were happy to provide feedback and give advice about the project I was working on. I think that one of the reasons why I was able to learn as much as I did was due to the feedback I received from my mentor as well as the rest of the team. I really appreciated that people... were willing to spend time to explain concepts and give advice on how to approach certain questions that came up along the way. In fact, one of my favorite parts of the internship was the opportunities to learn from others. In addition to my daily work, I was able to learn more about other aspects of Numeric's business through conversations with other employees as well as the week-long bootcamp. I really enjoyed my internship and thought it was a very valuable experience that has shaped my career goals.

Cons

None I can think of.

Numeric Investors LLC2017-10-02

"Good Opportunities at a Growing Firm"

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher

I have been working at Numeric Investors LLC full-time

Pros

-The firm is at the inflection point of growth. With Numeric's great track record combined with Man group's name brand kicking in, business has been great. Man also supplies Numeric with a lot of support in both hard dollars and infrastructure that allows research to move forward. -Given the growth path of the firm, there are a lot of new opportunities for new employees to take charge of. You can be given... responsibility for areas of research that the firm is venturing into, and you would be greatly rewarded if you were to succeed. There are a lot of opportunities for quants confident in their research abilities. -You are very close to the top. The CEO was promoted from my direct manager's position (head of research) and members of management are generally very accessible. They are reasonable in responding to your requests as well. They will always hear out your argument, and either help you implement your recommendations, or give you a very logically reasoned out answer as to why they will not pursue it. It leaves a good feeling even when you disagree. -The firm is a good combination of being innovative and being practical. They give you a lot of room to pursue the research problem however you want, and generally give you the support to do so. Though, of course, they also apply a reasonable amount of pressure so you can come out with research conclusions to help the business move forward.

Cons

-Coming with the inflection in growth and the career growth opportunities is a less defined culture in a fast growing firm. Hiring is happening very quickly to match the success of the firm business wise, and the outlook is great. However, it is uncertain how the culture can shift. Management is investing a lot to preserve the small company feel, but only time will tell how the cultural transition will work out.... -Boston cost of living is on the rise. I still like the city, but don't expect too much of a drop in cost of living when moving here from New York.

Advice to Management

Continue working hard to define the culture as the place grows, and you will end up with a prosperous and successful firm.

Numeric Investors LLC2017-03-08

"Place where you can architect your career goals yourself"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Numeric Investors LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Open Door Policy. - Collaborative environment - Environment is flexible enough to design a perfect work-life balance for everyone and tailor their career goals accordingly. - Management is considering lot of measures to retain and develop the young employees which is a good sign. - Your efforts are being recognized and there is a good feedback channel for self-improvements. - Firm is open to change and... adopting to new environment.

Cons

- With Man coming in it is becoming more corporate but still trying it's best to keep a small-firm culture - company is going through lot of changes (which is good as they are adopting to new environments). Some changes are too rapid to digest in. - Firm is becoming more growth focused than innovation focused. Though innovation is still in focus i believe the primary focus has now shifted to growth.

Numeric Investors LLC2017-01-24

"Meritocracy"

Current Employee - Portfolio Analyst

I have been working at Numeric Investors LLC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Intelligent people, open door policy, everyone is friendly and helpful, recognized and rewarded for the work you do, flexibility to explore your interests, casual atmosphere, great benefits.

Cons

Very flat structure (good and bad), no well-defined career path- however, if you're proactive, you can carve one out. Somewhat ambiguous (albeit seemingly fair) compensation structure in terms of raises and bonuses.

Advice to Management

Give more guidance and opportunities to junior employees to help them grow their careers.

Numeric Investors LLC2016-12-09

"Great company to work for, ample opportunities and supportive environment"

I have been working at Numeric Investors LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been here for over a year in a technical role and have been impressed by how great this boutique is relative to other financial firms I know. Pros are: an open culture with supportive management, flexibility to work on projects of interest, family friendly firm, business momentum. It's nice to be in a place where you can be yourself and not have to play a political game. People are smart AND helpful, not... just protecting their own turfs. The integration in the MAN group offers some unique opportunities for Numeric employees to collaborate with other firms under the MAN umbrella. Pretty unique firm in the financial industry!

Cons

The integration with MAN group is still making some employees (mostly who have been at Numeric for a long time) reminisce the "old" Numeric. This can create interesting cross-currents in the firm.

Numeric Investors LLC2016-12-06

"Unstable and stressful"

I have been working at Numeric Investors LLC full-time

Pros

Casual dress code. Flexible schedule, although it has become less flexible.

Cons

The company is going through a lot of changes. They can hire you today, and let you go in a couple months, especially in the tech department. Because of the changes, the working environment has become very unstable, and extremely stressful. Advice to potential candidates: wait until the company settles down with its changes first. Pay is low compared to industry standard. Raises are hard to come by

Numeric Investors LLC2016-01-31
  10. "Great learning opportunities with limited room for advancement."

Current Employee - Technology Staff in Boston, MA

I have been working at Numeric Investors LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good opportunities to learn a lot about quantitative investing in a fairly supportive environment. Flexible with scheduling and vacation time. Casual dress code. Good bonus and profit sharing plan.

Cons

Company leadership is focused mainly on growth and profitability, sometimes at the expense of staff career growth. Informal culture can be a good thing or not, depending on your needs and preferences.

Numeric Investors LLC2014-11-04