Nuna Reviews

4.2
Nuna Co-Founder and CEO Jini Kim
Jini Kim
  1. Featured Review

"The most I've ever learned, in the shortest amount of time"

Current Employee - ETL Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nuna full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a startup - so you get to play a role in determining what you do and how. that sort of creative agency has given me the challenges I've wanted and opportunities for growth that were never afforded at my old job. I've also met so many wonderful people who are all so willing to teach me things, and I've definitely made lifelong friends from this company. Plus, of all the tech companies in San Francisco, it's awesome to be at one that is making a product that will help people across the board, not just people who own iphones and can download apps.

Cons

It's a startup - so we're all still figuring some stuff out. when things get stressful or of things aren't going the way you think they should, you can either choose to leave and complain about it publicly or you can choose to stay and try to fix it because you believe in the mission and you believe in the company. I've chosen to do the latter because Nuna has given me so much, and it's got a fighting chance to make American healthcare better.

Nuna2019-08-10
  2. "Great place of work"

Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at Nuna full-time

Pros

- Lots of room for growth -Amazing mission - Lots of opportunities to work on various projects - Flexible WFH -Unlimited PTO -Catered Lunch everyday -Fitness Reimbursement -Lots of perks -Great Benefits

Cons

-A lot can be put on your plate if you don't speak up about it (but that goes for any startup - you just need to set boundaries for yourself)

Nuna2020-02-05
  3. "Great Place to Drive Impact in Health Care"

4.0

I have been working at Nuna part-time

Pros

Nuna is uniquely positioned to help transform the HC market in the US. It has enormous potential impact.

Cons

Things change quickly at Nuna. It isn't a great fit for folks who want a super well defined role.

Nuna2020-05-21
  4. "Great mission, great people, honest growth rate"

Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist

I have been working at Nuna full-time

Pros

Fantastic people, one of the few places whose mission is actually really interesting and impactful, doing very well. "Move fast and break things" doesn't work in healthcare and Nuna is slow, steady and impactful.

Cons

Took a long time to find product market fit and there were a few rounds of mercurial leadership changes, but the company now has definitely found it.

Nuna2020-05-15

"Definitely went through growing pains, may be turning a corner"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nuna full-time

Pros

* The company is filled with people who really believe in the mission of improving the cost and quality of care in America, and they are willing to make ambitious bets to make that a reality. * Nuna seems to finally have found a need in the market. Companies want to buy the two things that Nuna is building, and we're starting to need to figure out how to scale to meet that demand. * John Doerr is our main salesperson. Having a billionaire actively sit on sales calls opens a lot of doors that other healthcare startups don't have access to. * We have brought in some senior engineering leadership who seems to have the chops to execute.

Cons

* We brought in a lot of talented + senior engineering leadership, and it seems like the team is still figuring out how to best use their skills. This creates some churn as Nuna figures out how to structure itself for success. * Engineering has had trouble keeping up with sales. We've paid down a lot of our existing technical debt, but still need to hire aggressively to meet some of the deals which are coming down the pipeline. * Nuna has historically lacked a real operator who both has the skills to do the hard-work of org building and the clout to balance out the CEO's weaknesses there. We have recently hired some senior leaders who seem to be in the process of stepping into that role, but there can still be churn as we figure out exactly how we want our team to operate. * The product management function at Nuna is still fairly junior. This can sometimes lead to churn between engineering/product/sales as we figure out how to build a roadmap which allows us to sustainably grow and meet our commitments.

Nuna2019-11-14

"A lot of pretense, little substance"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nuna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nuna has a socially important mission – to make healthcare more affordable and accessible, on a large scale. Nuna has indeed demonstrated some successes in this area, for instance, they introduced modern cloud computing methodologies to the large, stodgy institutions that control healthcare, including the Medicaid administration. Jini Kim, the CEO, is very charismatic and has managed to introduce some SV tech culture into the normally dull and buttoned-down domain of healthcare insurance analytics. Nuna has good financial backing and as a result has been able to make large-scale sales to government and big insurers, that is, to large conservative institutions that normally wouldn't dream of dealing with a young startup. Nuna put a lot of emphasis on having a compassionate and progressive culture, on inclusion and diversity and personal growth. This is mostly a plus but see below.

Cons

While Nuna is a mission-driven company, the actual mission is disguised under a cloud of self-righteous rhetoric like “every row of data is a life” (an oft-repeated company slogan which typifies the empty virtue signalling). Despite the loud devotion to compassion and helping sick people, Nuna is not in the health-care delivery business or anything close to it, but rather the cost containment business. Their customers are organizations that spend a lot of money on health care; the service Nuna provides is to help reduce that spend or make it more effective. There՚s nothing wrong with that – helping keep health care spending under control is a perfectly useful thing to do, but it՚s not very inspiring. It՚s far removed from the actual practice of medical care, and thus not really the kind of thing that deserves any special recognition for compassion, any more than an insurer like Blue Cross does. It՚s a business. And Nuna is not alone in this business, there are quite a few bigger and more established companies in this space (such as Optum and Truven, now part of IBM). Nuna՚s advantages against these competitors are minimal, mostly rooted in having more Silicon Valley cachet. Putting health care data in the cloud was innovative a few years ago, now there are a great many people doing it. Nuna՚s cachet enables it to attract some talented engineers, but it doesn՚t really know what to do with them.. There՚s very little interesting engineering innovation happening at Nuna; the data science is competent but nothing special as far as I can tell. The big technical innovation that drove the company originally was heavy use of AWS, but that is no longer much of a distinguisher. Unlike some of these older companies, Nuna is hobbled by restrictive data agreements that limit the uses they can make of all the data coming through their system – that is a serious business risk, especially given machine learning՚s need for massive datasets. If Nuna can՚t combine their customers data, scaling the business will not scale their ML capabilities accordingly. The data that Nuna does handle is limited to insurance billing records, and this too is pretty far removed from the actual practice of healthcare or the advancement of medical science. This may have changed since I was there, certainly there was talk of making use of EHR-level data, but again, Nuna has very little connection to the practice of medicine and probably wouldn't know what to do with data like that. Culturally Nuna has a serious problem in hyper-political-correctness. Diversity is one thing (and something Nuna does very well); but constant pledges of fealty to approved values are something else again. Many companies do this now to some extent but Nuna takes it to extremes, to the extent that it can create an oppressive atmosphere and alienate people in the name of inclusion. In part because of this, Nuna has had trouble retaining senior engineers, and there is very little in the way of coherent technical leadership. There are serious gaps in technical strategy -- perhaps because management is focused on other things. In short, Nuna is a good place if you care most about diversity, and want to spend a lot of mental energy on things like making sure nobody uses words like "guys" for a mixed-gender group. It is not a very good place if you value creativity, innovation, or learning. And if you really care about improving health care you should probably work on that directly, not on better analytics for payers.

Nuna2019-09-28

October 1, 2019CEO

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. As a growing startup, we’re always striving to be better. Nuna is committed to improving health care for all Americans, and the impact of our efforts with health plans is a big part of that. We also take great pride in our efforts towards DEI and our staff development. While we still have a lot of work to do, we have made significant progress in the past few months on-boarding world-class engineering leadership and are currently taking a closer look at how we can make Nuna an even more inclusive place to work.

"Great career growth and respect for administrative roles at Nuna!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nuna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked closely with Nuna Leadership for the past five years in an administrative/operations capacity. The wonderful thing about working at startups, and at Nuna in particular, is all the opportunities to step up to the plate, get involved, and show the great work you can do. I’ve had the opportunity to pitch in and learn about so many things that are above and beyond the day-to-day administrative scope, which is a definite career builder! At no other company, or role, that I’ve had in my 20 plus years administrative career have I felt my voice was as heard as it is at Nuna, nor have I felt that I was able to have as much of a positive impact as I have at Nuna. Administrative professionals at Nuna are respected and able to have great positive impact company-wide. At one of my past administrative roles, the manager of the administrative team would refer to the team as, “her girls” which, as an adult woman of the age where I could have adult children, always made me cringe. In that role, at the team meetings led by our manager, conversations were focused around what diet worked, or where to get your nails done, rather than business updates, discussions about new productivity tools, or new processes. I feel none of that attitude at Nuna. At Nuna, we are respected professionals who are experts in our field and are treated as such. In the United States, we spend trillions of dollars every year on healthcare. Nuna is developing tools that will help plans and providers succeed in value-based payment arrangements and change the way healthcare is paid for. I’m proud to be working for a woman-led company that is taking on this challenging work.

Cons

It took a while to find product/market fit. Now that we've accomplished this we are off to the races!

Nuna2019-08-19

"Interesting Work But Product Doesn't Sell"

Former Employee - Data Scientist

I worked at Nuna full-time

Pros

Got to work on some very interesting algorithms. The product idea itself are very ambitious and exciting to work on. I felt that I was genuinely appreciated and cared for at Nuna

Cons

The product isn't selling at all and there is a lack of confidence in the product even amongst internal stakeholders. I agree with other posters that the leadership here is very poor and unable to adapt. While I was at Nuna, several divisions were shut down and new ideas struggled to gain traction amongst the clients. The product doesn't have a market fit at the moment.

Nuna2019-07-23

August 3, 2019Data Science Manager

There have definitely been concerns about our ability to sell our products in the past. In particular, we had a lot of difficulty in selling our Meaningful Matches product in 2018. The feedback that we consistently heard on the market was that none of our potential clients wanted to be our Guinea Pig -- nobody wanted to be the first client to use Nuna’s algorithms to match their members to Primary Care Providers at scale. This year, we went live on a large Medicaid managed care plan, and have been making over 10,000 matches per month since mid May. Since then, the “chicken and egg” problem we faced in 2018 has largely evaporated, in that prospective clients can now refer to that successful large-scale launch to assuage their concerns. Our newly launched collaborative co-development effort has also helped us to realize product-market fit. That effort involves developing the Nuna Value Platform -- a software product will allow health plans and provider systems to seamlessly administer and operate value based payment arrangements, which are the future of the healthcare payments as the US moves away from the unsustainable Fee for Service system. Since the announcement of that partnership, we have seen an unprecedented influx of sales interest from health plans across the country, for both our Value Platform product and Meaningful Matches. The picture of what we need to deliver to be successful and when has never been more clear.

"Incompetent leadership running company straight into the ground"

1.0
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nuna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Positive mission, good colleagues at non-leadership level

Cons

Horrible leadership that doesn't know the first thing about health care, running a company, or dealing with people. Company is heading nowhere, has no viable product, and no future.

Nuna2019-06-20

August 3, 2019Data Science Manager

Thank you for your review. However, it’s unfortunate that you’re spending your time at a company where you hold such strong disagreement with the leadership, especially in light of so many facts to the contrary. This past year Nuna has found a great deal of market traction. Our Meaningful Matches product has been used to match tens of thousands of Medicaid members with high quality cost effective primary care physicians who are good fits for their health needs. We’ve also launched a co-development relationship to build a Value Platform. This software will allow health plans and provider systems to seamlessly administer value based payment arrangements, which are the future of the healthcare payments as the US moves away from the unsustainable Fee for Service system. Our Data Science team and our company more broadly are feeling confident in our success and our vision in achieving that success.

"Great people but horrible leadership"

I worked at Nuna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nuna is a strongly mission-driven company, and as a result attracts a great group of people to work with. I consistently had very positive experiences with all my coworkers, and learned and grew quite a lot from everybody I worked with on a day-to-day basis. Nuna's mission is also very inspiring, especially if you're on a well-staffed team working on a product that has traction.

Cons

The root of all of Nuna's problems is that it has bad and unfocused leadership. Nowhere is this more evident than in its amorphous product strategy. During my tenure at Nuna (which lasted over a year), there was a massive amount of product churn. Every year leadership would decide on a new direction and a new flagship product for the company, while simultaneously paying lip service to the importance of every other product/team. Predictably, all other products/teams would gradually hemorrhage resources, and would either go down in flames, be killed, or continue along in a zombie state indefinitely. To be fair, the health insurer market is a tough nut to crack, but this constant product/strategy churn is endless, demoralizing, and self-defeating. Nuna's leadership was consistently not upfront about what was deprioritized and what was on the chopping block. There was a high rate of burnout on neglected teams, usually due to understaffing and dishonesty. When leadership made tough decisions, they usually made them too late and in a very cowardly manner. I've been at all-hands meetings where leadership have announced offhandedly that teams/products will be dissolved without even saying thanks to the team or acknowledging the mistakes leadership made. Its unbelievable. Until Nuna can either find focus on one product or completely change their leadership, I cannot recommend it as a good place to work.

Nuna2019-04-29

May 2, 2019Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. There was a period in the past where Nuna took on too many projects and tried to solve every problem that came to us. Our willingness to take on big problems is part of who we are as a company, and it’s the reason why we have gained the trust and loyalty of our customers. Right now we’re laser-focused on fixing inefficiencies in healthcare delivery and improving the incentive structures. We have an incredible set of partners on the government and private payer side which have helped us bring in strong executive, engineering and data science talent to add to the amazing people who were already on our team.

Found 30 reviews