Nuna Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Nuna Co-Founder and CEO Jini Kim
Jini Kim

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Remarkable team of healthcare visionaries who EXECUTE - mission that matters"

Current Employee - Chairman in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Chairman in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nuna full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Terrific team, using scale data to make value-based care affordable for millions. Trusted by partners - insurers, state and fed leaders - and yes providers. A great place for engineers, data scientists, innovators to learn/contribute.

Cons

Ambitious agenda, a lot of work!

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting outstanding talent. Stay hungry, scrappy and focused on happy customers and healthy Americans. And make value-based care succeed.

"Great place to learn and grow"

I have been working at Nuna full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Genuinely mission-driven environment
    - Amazing people: smart, down-to-earth, accessible, and fun
    - Opportunities to learn and work cross-functionally
    - Very approachable, accessible leadership team
    - Generous benefits, especially for being a start-up
    - Family-friendly environment
    - We have an investor who is very involved and hands-on
    - Exciting milestones and growth seen every year

Cons

- There could be an improvement in cross-team communication
    - Priorities can shift and change quickly. This also comes with the territory (being at a start-up) but it sometimes means your time hasn't been used effectively

"Good mission which attracts great people"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Nuna full-time

Pros

The thing that convinced me to join Nuna in the first place was the people that work there. Nuna has a great mission to fix the US healthcare system which attracts the right kind of people: talented, genuine and mission-driven people.

Cons

Changing things in healthcare is slow and the impact of your work is not always obvious or immediate.

"Amazing company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nuna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a truly amazing company, I have interviewed at several companies in healthcare from EHRs to mental health platforms. What I have seen is that the EHR companies in the Bay Area are full of hype, their product is buggy and lacking features and they have extremely low penetration in the market and lack of actual innovation and thus sales heavy. Nuna is truly revolutionzing healthcare and is well funded.

Cons

regardless of how much you get paid, who would not like more pay

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I love this company and what is stands for

"Interesting Work with Wonderful People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nuna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nuna is a mission-driven company trying to make the US healthcare space a better place through data analytics that benefit the actual patients receiving healthcare, not just the employer, payer or provider. Knowing this makes it very easy to get out of bed in the morning. Employees and management are caring and good listeners. There is an emphasis on being sensitive to each others' needs and to constructive problem solving and open communication. Certain new products have the possibility of being truly disruptive and profitable in the marketplace.

Cons

The company is lacking some basics: a product lifecycle that provides a common baseline and vocabulary for communicating status; an emphasis on budget and cost awareness that is driven down to all levels of the organization; for new products and services, a crisp vision of how they will be packaged, licensed, and sold.

Advice to Management

Would love to see some real business and sales people in the mix, which right now leans heavily towards engineers and data scientists.

"Great team members and mission, but needs a leadership re-haul"

I worked at Nuna full-time

Pros

Overall, if you're self-directed and looking to learn within your respective domain alongside incredibly smart and dedicated team members, Nuna is a wonderful place. If you need a plan and direction, this will be a tough place to strive as you often have to create your own order. The company offers great perks and flexibility for both remote and on-site employees. If you just keep yourself focused on your task this is a great place with really kind team members. The company has a ton of potential, but needs stronger management to reach that potential. If you're applying for a management role, know that it'll be a hard task, but you can make a difference. If you're applying as an individual contributor, you will definitely be working on projects with impact.

- The mission of changing how healthcare decisions are made on a large scale, especially on the government side, is what inspired me to come to work every day.
    - Process improvements we continue to influence with gov't clients is equal parts challenging and rewarding. Knowing that we're improving how the gov't functions, not just with our products but also with our culture/process is motivational.
    - Recruiting process is great and always improving to ensure we hire the best person for the job.
    - Very accommodating culture for remote employees.
    - Great perks including lunch, health, fitness, commuter, etc.
    - Team members are kind, helpful, and compassionate, making for a very respectful work environment.

Cons

Like many companies transitioning from small to mid-size, Nuna is going through growing pains and would benefit from a leadership team with more experience to help the company scale. This shouldn't deter anyone from joining the team, as I mentioned under the pros section, if you stay focused on your job, it's great. But if you're in a position to be mixed in with internal decision-making or promotion processes, it can be frustrating and here's why:

- The lack of talent management can lead to frustration and retention issues. If leadership or senior team members had more experience managing people, this would solve itself.
    - Promotions tend to be perception-based rather than data-based because the senior leadership team makes the final decision and they're not involved with the work on a day-to-day basis. It's an environment where those working hard are too busy to play politics, and those not working as hard are busy marketing themselves. This leads to teams being led by people who are interested in advancing themselves and not the team.
    - There's a lot of conversation around being aware of unconscious bias, but leadership doesn't do a good job of reflecting on whether it's happening and trying to eliminate it. There have been multiple cases where male employees are moved up based on "available and interested" or even "bored flight risk" and everyone is instructed to play fair and give them a chance to succeed. Whereas female employees, even when available and interested, are made to jump through arbitrary hoops such as internal interviews, multiple approvals, etc., or just flat out told they don't have the skills for the job. It's subtle, but when it happens over and over again, it's hard to ignore the data.
    - It's a very engineering-leaning organization; having your voice heard over an engineer's can be a challenge.
    - Leadership team will often belittle the CEO, signaling a not-so-healthy dynamic within that group.

Advice to Management

- Don't silence disagreement, instead welcome it, before making decisions you don't have day-to-day context for.
    - Trust that everyone is working towards the same goal and invite the people with the right insights to the table, not just your trusted cohort who doesn't interact with the client or the project team daily.
    - Take feedback seriously and not personally. It's hard to give feedback when it causes more drama than action.
    - Ensure internal moves are openly advertised and fair for all parties interested. When deciding who to backfill a position with, ensure that the decision is healthy for the team's growth, not just that individual's.
    - Ask for help from the people on the ground doing the work. Lean on these people and promote from within before hiring externally.

Nuna Response

Jul 27, 2018 – Director, Recruiting

Hello former Nuna,

Thank you for the detailed write-up. The good news is we’re investing in many of the areas you’ve cited as opportunities for improvement!

Overcoming unconscious bias and... More

"Great tech company to join to help drive the transition to value-based healthcare"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Nuna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Founders have an ambitious long-term vision and are deeply committed to the mission. They also have a real-world understanding of the challenges ahead, with strong connections to government policy and leaders across the industry.
    - Team has a unique blend of talented engineers, data scientists, product managers, health policy folks, project managers, designers, researchers, and more.
    - Compassionate, mission-driven people; company cares a lot about building and maintaining the right culture.
    - You feel like you’re working on an important problem at a company that has a real chance of making a difference.

Cons

- Driving healthcare system change is not for the faint of heart :) It is a complex environment with a lot of idiosyncrasies. Product development requires more of a consultative approach and scale takes longer to achieve than in other enterprise spaces.

"Solve Real Problems. Have actual Impact."

Current Employee - Head of Product in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Head of Product in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nuna full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with smart, talented and compassionate people. Your team is here because we want to solve real problems. People are helpful and resourceful. The team is diverse with 70% of the product team female.

We have difficult, data intensive problems to solve that impact people. Our job is to make it easy for insurance companies, the government and employers to make impactful decisions around people's quality and cost of care.
    "Every row of data is a life".

Career growth. The product team spans three different verticals. There are opportunities to move cross vertical and advance as the company grows and finds new opportunities. We focus on direct feedback, defining a clear advancement path, and recognize contribution twice a year.

Perks from cute dogs in the office, to onsite lunch, to a go-bike memberships add up.

Cons

We work with enterprise customers and the government. You need to adjust your product tool kit in order to deliver the right product for our customers. However, user research, rapid testing and iteration still apply.

Advice to Management

Focus. There is a lot to do and not enough people to get it all done. Re-check yourselves constantly and prioritize for max impact.

"Very good place to work"

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nuna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nuna has a great culture, I have never worked with such an amazing group smart and really fun people. Nuna has a really excellent COO who values the teams, is honest and direct, and has truly inspired my loyalty.

Cons

Nuna is not perfect and is still growing. For the most part, it feels like the leadership team does their very best to try to balance the reality of growing a business, of staying true to the mission, and of marching firmly towards profitability. I cannot think of any real cons that I have not seen any other place I have worked.

"Great culture and very strong data company."

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nuna full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All about using data to improve health care. data science and engineering are active in setting product strategy, friendly yet ambitious culture, amazing morale and lots of fun.

Cons

Still some uncertainty around financial future of company. Unclear how our products will produce significant revenue in the longer-term.

Advice to Management

Make employees feel that their work is more directly connected to the future survival, impact and bottom-line of the company.