Nuna Reviews

57 Comments

Tech

207.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Nuna~1830313
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Small Family Culture meets Job Specific Value

Jan 31, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

From day 1 you will be showered with excitement and encouragement. Culture is number 1 on my priorities list for trying to find a career fit for me, and Nuna is killing it in this area. The company is extremely flat and values each position greatly. They also expect each position to perform with a high level of excellence. This level of responsibility is exactly what I needed coming from a high-volume company with 200 people doing my same position. Here, typically you are 1 of 1 people doing your job. Currently, fully remote. (big bonus) Extremely competitive salaries. Unbelievable benefits. CEO Jini Kim is a larger-than-life person. She's a literal genius and has driven this series B start-up to incredible success. On top of that, she's a real person who will text you and send funny videos in the slack channels :) Culture > Everything

Cons

This might not be the place for you if you wanna hang in the back and not be great at your role. There are way too many eyes on your work to be mediocre. Come, learn, work hard, be great.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good People and Opportunities

Feb 25, 2022 - Finance in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nuna has a lot of super smart, motivated individuals. Employees are thoughtful and exceed in what they do. I was challenged but supported, and received a lot of mentorship. I made really great friends at Nuna and felt good about what I did every day, since the goals of the company are generally advertised as including tools to improve the world. This was super motivating for me. I still use skills and mindsets that I learned at Nuna, and will carry a lot of the advice and guidance I got from my manager with me for the rest of my career.

Cons

Smaller teams can mean less guidance. As with any startup, Nuna pivots frequently and abruptly.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A beacon in data, technology, and healthcare

Feb 10, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nuna is a small start up with big aspirations and talented people. They're working to make their product into something that is impactful for the underrepresented. While this has looked different over the years, it shows their adaptability and resilience for their ultimate goal of making healthcare affordable and accessible for everyone. Recently, Nuna has really focused on their goals for long term return in the value based care space. The benefits at Nuna are really spectacular from pay, retirement, lunches, wellness stipends and more. The culture is also a highlight. While a lot has changed in the era of Covid, there is still a big push to keep employees involved in culture and events for everyone and families. Diversity is taken seriously with leadership which I personally find as a positive characteristic to Nuna as a minority in tech. I think every company has hurdles when it comes to addressing these issues and the leadership at Nuna does a great job of always keeping this topic in mind at all-hands but also showing progress of growth through our quarterly anonymous company surveys which reflects their effort to making the changes that need to happen.

Cons

Nuna adapts quickly to make it's greatest impact and things can happen in a short amount of time. It might make anyone looking for a predictable environment to feel like things are moving with short timelines.

4 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0

Best time to be here

Feb 14, 2021 - General
    Business Outlook

Pros

After a few pivots, Nuna has found product-market fit and is all in. It is prioritizing the wellbeing of employees while delivering on our mission. Leadership supports product objectives that are bold and radically inclusive. I am impressed by executives unapologetic support of movements for racial and transgender equity - there’s no question of their values and they are not neutral on important issues. It’s a breath of fresh air.

Cons

Due to pivots, there has been turnover and morale is mixed - depending on who you talk to. Everything isn’t perfect; there’s a lot of work to be done, and Nuna is making key hires and has publicly committed to OKRs that will focus on equitable recruiting, hiring, and growth; and a positive culture and work experience.

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great people, a ton of work to be done

Dec 9, 2020 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

-People at Nuna are really bought into the mission of improving healthcare and excited to do the work on Nuna's products. -Nuna's leadership team and primary investor John Doerr have been able to open doors for selling and positioning Nuna's products - huge competitive advantage for a startup, and definitely helpful for ensuring the company's long term viability/success. -Over the past year or so, Nuna has found better market fit with its products and now needs to successfully deliver on what has been sold. -Though it has been maturing, Nuna still has that startup feel where you have a lot thrown at you and the opportunity to take on work that is far outside the scope of your role. It's a great place for professional growth if that kind of environment is appealing to you.

Cons

-Nuna is figuring out how to create a scalable implementation process, and it's creating a lot of churn right now while Product/Eng/Implementation Teams figure out their lanes. -In the absence of an operationally focused business process, Nuna's success and ability to meet deadlines sometimes relies on heroics from a few folks/teams in key roles, leaving Nuna feeling very execution constrained and burning people out.

5 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0

They don’t care

Jan 19, 2022 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay outs and customer service

Cons

They don’t care short hours and stuff

Be the first to find this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

"My way or the highway" leadership with Wokeism at the forefront

Jun 23, 2021 - Non-Technical Role
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart folks with a passion for the important mission. Decent salary and benefit package.

Cons

Leadership, especially CEO, are arrogant and falsely confident about what they understand and how to do business. Poor leadership, zero accountability for mistakes. Xooglers think that because they were at Google, they have the best ideas and experience. Rarely is that accurate. The company is so focused on being woke and champions of social justice issues that it ostracizes those who are there to focus on their actual job and on the very important and hard work of changing the Healthcare landscape.

6 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Warm and Welcoming

Mar 8, 2021 - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Brilliant, friendly, and welcoming group of people with open minds. Lots to learn, startup pace suitable for self-starters. Company growth and opportunities to help with cutting-edge and meaningful projects. CEO is very involved and accessible and a total badass. Weekly company-wide announcements to keep everyone in sync with what's coming next and wide array of fun-focused slack channels and engaging activities (pi-day, staff-led yoga, subject matter expert discussions, etc.) to maintain connection during remote work.

Cons

Would be great to have regular product demos!

5 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee

Avoid if you are from an underrepresented group

Jan 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great if you are a Xoogler who is looking for Google culture at a smaller scale

Cons

There are so many things broken about this company, but I won't bother with the majority of those issues. This is simply a warning for certain applicants. If you are part of an underrepresented group, don't waste time applying. If, somehow, you manage to get an offer (they're not exactly great at hiring people unless they share the same background/identity), please hold out for another opportunity. You will be miserable here, and your career will likely stagnate, or worse.

14 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Inability to be honest about DEI failures & harm perpetuated by leadership

Mar 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

When I first started at Nuna, there were a lot of things I loved about it and thought it was on an upward trajectory. At that point in time, a lot of people deeply cared about important issues -- both in terms of their actual work, and in terms of society/community more generally. I can’t say that was still true when I left, though.

Cons

Nuna had a lot of potential, but unfortunately, fragility and a refusal to interrogate the harm perpetuated got in the way -- especially by leadership. In my time at Nuna, we lost our culture lead, they refused to put resources towards a DEI lead or replacement for the culture lead, DEI efforts felt largely abandoned unless pushed by individuals at the bottom, the leadership composition shifted from predominantly women to predominantly men, they hired someone to lead recruiting who did not understand and did not care about taking the steps needed to ensure diverse candidate pools or an inclusive hiring experience, they brought in a team of ex-Googlers with pretty toxic approaches to work and management who pushed people out because they didn’t meet their model, and… there’s plenty more, but I’ll stop there. I also want to explicitly add that Nuna did a lot of harm to their trans and Black employees in the time I was there, and they never acknowledged it. Rather, the CEO blamed people who were choosing to leave, insisted she couldn’t be an oppressor in any fashion because of her own identity, and pivoted to the excuse of, “They were all just bad at their jobs anyway.” Except, you know, your low-key transphobia and racism isn’t because someone was bad at their job.

19 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 51 Reviews
</>Embed

Nuna Reviews FAQs

Nuna has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 58 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at Nuna to a friend and 72% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Nuna employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Nuna. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

78% of Nuna employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Nuna 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Nuna to be benefits, career development, culture and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Nuna Job Seekers