Nutanix Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Nutanix Founder and CEO Dheeraj Pandey
Dheeraj Pandey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great Work-Life balance and HR teams takes company feedback very well unlike most companies" (in 20 reviews)

• "Great work culture and employees" (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • "you need to use your best judgement to balance work/life balance" (in 26 reviews)

• "General growing company problems - space crunch, lots of internal team shifting, tons of changes" (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Strap in, hold on, pedal hard... get ready for an amazing ride!"

Pros

-Culture. Such a cliche term, but the people here are genuinely good people, working together to disrupt the IT industry. Not a cut throat environment, we’re all pushing in the same direction.

-Challenge. If you love to be stretched, challenged, trusted, pushed to your limit then you’ll thrive in this company.

-Compensation. Pay is competitive, benefits are covered 100%, stock and ESPP give an added bump.

-Management. There are some really good managers and mentors at Nutanix, if you’re aligned to them then you’ll love your job. The executive leadership of the company is 2nd to none.

Cons

-Culture. If you want structure, clear growth paths, to move up the chain quickly and your value is based on your title and praise... we’re not there yet. Everyone is so focused on getting the work done that we don’t spend a lot of time on employee recognition and development. Career growth and development are pushed by HR but their not structured or adopted enough to be mainstream.

-Challenge. The fast pace and demand is not for the light hearted. If you thrive in that type of environment you’ll be happy here.

-Management. There are a lot of team managers who are stronger individual contributors than they are managers. Advice: really do your homework on who you’ll be reporting to and what their management style is.

Advice to Management

Take a pause and really look at the organizational structure and health of it. An internal audit and development of management skills would be a good exercise to go through. Many are leaving the company or are frustrated at work because of difficult managers.

2. "Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Nutanix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and the culture are without a doubt the best aspects of working for Nutanix. You'll never be the smartest person in the room and you're always surrounded by people you can learn and grow from. It's an extremely collaborative environment and you're always surrounded by people who are willing to help you get ramped up and set you up for success. It's a work hard, play harder atmosphere and there's a genuine passion and enthusiasm for our product and our customers amongst the employees that's infectious in the best way. The CEO is one of the most incredible leaders I've ever had the privilege of working under in my entire career. He sincerely puts his employees first and ensures that we're well taken care of with the same exceptional level of care that we provide our customers. This place is seriously one of a kind and you certainly won't any other company in the Triangle area like Nutanix. Making the move to Nutanix was the best decision I've ever made for my career.

Cons

None that I can think of right now.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and continue making the preservation of the Nutanix culture a top priority for the employees. You guys rock!

"Used to be a great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Northeast, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Northeast, NY

I have been working at Nutanix full-time

Pros

Benefits are very good.

Cons

Lots of ego in sales management, which doesn't care about employee retention.

Advice to Management

Slow down on hiring in the field. Try to increase % of sales teams making quota, which is very low.

4. "MTS"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nutanix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- growing pace is great.
    - good perks
    - good medical insurance

Cons

- very bad diversity
    - too much favoritism.
    - too much heirarchy and push back on work from various teams.

Advice to Management

- fix the cross communication between teams.
    - stop concentrating projects at one site.

"Great benefits, lack of identity"

Current Employee - Compensation Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Compensation Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nutanix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, for the most part, and the organization has great potential. Health benefits are bar-none (100% company paid for) and comp is relatively competitive.

Cons

Lots of talk about openness to change but not truly part of the culture. Severe lack of awareness around internal corporate identity and why people should come to work every day. Corporate values not widely socialized and definitely not part of executive decision-making.

Advice to Management

Know who you are and make decisions based on strategic problem-solving. Don't let a few executives run amok at the expense of the rest of the org and continue to espouse a nepotistic environment. Lead.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - SRE in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - SRE in Durham, NC

I worked at Nutanix (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart folks, good product, lots of oppertunity to learn

Cons

Ego and politics are creeping in

Advice to Management

Stick to the company values, fight politicing and ego

7. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nutanix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great leaders. Exciting work, great people

Cons

No Company contribution in 401k retirement plan

"The Paradox of growth is not being navigated well"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Nutanix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Disruptive technology transforms Enterprise IT, providing operational efficiency, lower cost and vastly better agility
    -Great benefits

Cons

Our CEO once discussed the “paradox of growth” in that early on we grew because of the simplicity of our Company and technology. That combined with a builder’s mentality and truly exhibiting the culture “humble, honest and hungry” fueled rapid growth. As a Company grows however, it is a challenge to preserve the things that drove that growth and manage the complexity created from that very growth. What I have experienced is a dramatic, rapid change where we are increasing becoming similar to the companies that we sought to disrupt. A lot of this seems to be a natural outcome of hiring people from those monolithic companies without requiring to them to change their approach to fit our culture. instead they are imposing the same highly bureaucratic, out of touch style (especially in sales) where the Customer’s satisfaction is no longer the primary goal. I understand the changes that arise from transitioning to a public Company and keeping shareholders happy, but losing that Customer first mentality is very dangerous. We have also let go of much of our simplicity and it’s value proposition giving way to multiple licenses to charge for. This used to be a big differentiation for us but now we look like many other vendors when Customers see quotes. While this may improve profitability in the near term, it erodes one of the core advantages of being software defined and able to push out new capabilities with software releases. We are also failing to deliver much advertised capabilities with new products in a timely fashion and I fear we will suffer on main street, wall street and places like Gartner. From a sales culture perspective, it has become toxic. Headcount is added without any consideration or strategy but rather a mathematical formula. Our vision has become one not looking beyond 90 days, in quarter deals to focus on and analyze to death. We are also told that “we are on a 90 day contract”, that ‘they aren’t your Customers but the Company’s Customer”. These are the heavy handed tactics of the large, legacy vendors we were trying to disrupt and it sucks the morale out of sales Teams. The creative, best and brightest sales talents don’t flourish in this environment and will lead to an even greater exodus to other Vendors.

Advice to Management

When asking “what do you need to be successful “ from your sales people, really listen and do something about it. Most of the people I know here are because they are truly passionate about what they do and not about the stock price - they left after the IPO. Rewarding them with threats, shrinking territories, more headcount for it’s own sake and ignoring them will drive the best away and accelerate the path to mediocrity. As for our CEO rating, Dheeraj is a visionary but the execution is faltering and the destruction of the Culture that made us special breaks my heart.

Nutanix Response

May 23, 2018 – Chief Revenue Officer

I want to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are devoted to building a transparent and collaborative culture for all of our employees and I am concerned to hear about some of... More

9. "Liked it for years"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Nutanix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance was good. Room for career advancement. Training, free meals, snacks etc. gave you the tools you needed to get your job done

Cons

As the company grew, engineering became less focused on fixing the core issues and seemed interested only in the new shiny toys.

Advice to Management

Nothing at this time.

"Proud to Be a Nutant!"

Current Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Remote, OR

I have been working at Nutanix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely love this company, the people and everything Nutanix stands for. We move a million miles a minute and there is no sign of slowing down. Your management will enable you to no end but there is zero hand holding in this company. You need to be smart, confident, ready to think on your feet and able to learn as quickly as possible. Leadership will always back you up when you take risks but they expect you to take ownership of your business and hit the ground running.

You will work with some of the smartest, most driven people in the industry. Everyone is working towards a common goal and even working remotely, I always feel like family. We truly hire by our core tenants, hungry, humble and honest. I am always learning, always growing and always grateful to be where I am!

Cons

As stated above, things move FAST. Work/life is a struggle and training is minimal. Many processes are foggy so you need to be a person that can adapt quickly and implement systems that work for you and that others will buy into.

Advice to Management

Take time to step back and build the infrastructure that will take us to the next level!