Nutanix Reviews | Glassdoor

Nutanix Founder and CEO Dheeraj Pandey
Dheeraj Pandey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance is a problem here (in 15 reviews)

• We are growing so fast that some things, such as career development tend to get left behind as the focus is on growing fast (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Culture, Culture, Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Nutanix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having worked for larger companies in the technology space I could tell right away that Nutanix would be a great change. When the CEO of a $2.5 Billion company makes it a point to attend your new hire class that shows the amount of respect management has for all the people at the company - even the rookies. The culture in the field is equally great. First level managers strive to get to know you without micromanaging you and everyone in the field has a team mentality to helping each other out. Finally, in a company with this much explosive growth it is great to have a commission!!!

Cons

Growing fast, so first line managers change as those roles are expanded.

Advice to Management

Keep loving the misfits, the disrupters and the growth makers!

2. "Amazing Organization"

Current Employee - Advisory Services Senior Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Advisory Services Senior Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Nutanix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong Leadership, fast-paced with opportunity for growth, amazing team dynamics.

Cons

Overcoming the complexity of growth.

Advice to Management

Continue to be strong leaders and encourage honest feedback from your teams.

3. "Enterprise Accounts"

I worked at Nutanix full-time

Pros

Company self-disrupts and leadership is always looking to stay well ahead of competition

Cons

Account lists and territories are a crap shoot.

"Best bay area company!"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nutanix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People first and team work mentality. Amazing products. Information sharing and data driven.

Cons

No tangible cons outside of a lot of food that is hard to stay away from.

Advice to Management

Keep the startup vibe and culture as we grow!

"It use to be a good company to work for, but they have fallen far from the tree."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Nutanix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are still some good people there, but far and few between. I joined pre-IPO and it was a great place to work. But all good things come to an end. It's not the place it use to be. Lots of fake people and no authenticity. The HCI and cloud business is getting hot and there are much better places to be. Just because Nutanix was the first, doesn't mean there the best.
    The vision was good and it started to be something special but has gone downhill. They have lost a lot of good and very senior people in the last year. The room for growth is almost non-existent. It's really sad, as I had high hopes for this company. The one big thing for this company and it will be there downfall is that they over promise and under deliver. On to the next Bay area venture.

Cons

After they IPO'ed, it all changed. There is redundancy in people. They are spending money like its water. They have over 30 or 40 different systems in place to do HR and payroll function and can never make a decision on what they are going to use this week. They have 5 different communication methods of which is nearly impossible to keep up with.

It is a very tough environment with people in fighting over ownership and extremely political. It went from an inspiration company to just plain crap. They are hiring, but really not being decerning on who they hire. They just want to get bodies out there and hope that Nutanix will sell it self. They started out with great values; Humble, Hungry, Honest, but have fallen fall from that. Also...they can't even get there act together on their future. A number of issues in their platform is only getting worst They keep adding features, without fixing their existing features. QA is almost non-existent. Most of their Technical Alliances Partners are getting fed up with constant delays and outright non-responsiveness.

Advice to Management

Make some drastic changes. You may be on a high now, but it will not last, especially with the level of people you are hiring. You should look hard into why people are leaving. As I have heard many times, you don't leave a company, you leave a manager. Also, the good people you have left should be treated like gold. They started this journey with you. And finally, un-just terminations. There are people in this order that just love running to HR on the drop of a hat, instead of working with their team to resolve the problem. All these things will eventually catch up with Nutanix and I wouldn't want to be around for that.

Nutanix Response

Sep 19, 2017 – VP, Communications and Investor Relations

Thank you for taking your time to provide feedback. Nutanix has had the great fortune to be in hyper-growth mode for several years.  In fact, our employee base has more than doubled over the last two... More

6. "Engineer"

I have been working at Nutanix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting technologies and products, and fairness management.

Cons

Timing of tasks is very tight.

"Great product, too much drama"

I worked at Nutanix full-time

Pros

The product is solid. Not a lot of complaints from the client base.
    The benefits package is good
    flexible work schedule

Cons

Middle management is too busy jockeying for position to strategize
    Too much DNA from specific companies. The sales force is Ex NetApp, mostly, creating a monolithic sales structure that cannot change its style to adapt to changing sales landscape. Good for short term and possibly disastrous for long term.
    SE org full of talent, except in management. The WW head of the SE group hires people that will not challenge the organization to get better. Instead of creating an organization that is tactical and proficient, ineffective process and myopic vision are what is "executed" on

Advice to Management

Stop hiring friends or relatives and hire people that are interested in advancing the company.

Work on communication and root out the political beasts. There is a lot of talent and people that genuinely want to make the company better, hidden under layers of managers that have no interest in long term growth.

In certain cases, they don't have the aptitude.

8. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Nutanix full-time

Pros

There is a positive energy throughout the company. The leadership is phenomenal from middle management all the way to the president as well as the CEO. They take great care of their employees.

Cons

there are no cons I can think of but i have to enter 5 words in this field or else my review can't be submitted, so I will say that I did not receive a golf shirt on my first day of work.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing...

9. "Great Product, Great Company, Sales expansion too fast"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Nutanix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, great support - truly disruptive/innovative; Invests in training

Cons

Sales direction is a bit fractured. Trying to infuse global structure too early; Continuous slicing of territories means constant account manager churn - not great for customers; not enough time to make decent money. Makes for unsettled culture.

Advice to Management

Settle down on the sales changes - account stability is key to long term territory development.

"Terrible, Terrible company to work for as a female (Amazing company for Males)"

I have been working at Nutanix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company really tries to make employees happy with perks, food, events
    For the most part, employees are very bright & excited
    Company is constantly providing seminars to improve learning
    There is a real desire to get things done & make a difference in the market
    Leaders appear to be accessible and knowledgable about the ins/outs of the business

Cons

The discrimination faced at Nutanix is insiduous, nobody will tell you that as a female you are viewed as less competent. Then over time, you will find that your accomplishments are not as recognized as the other males in your team. Your male colleagues will be given more advancement opportunities while you are expected to just be happy at your current position/salary. You will then find out that you are getting paid WAY less than your colleagues at your same level. How this company has not been sued by the Federal Government for disparity in pay is beyond me.

Advice to Management

- Increase representation of Females in management. I can count on my one hand how many females have been promoted over the last 2 years.
    - Create goals for employees! Employees are not promoted or advanced on goals or objectives, which is shocking - what results is a vicious cycle of nepotism, that guess what?, favors other males.
    - Design a diversity program, which incentivizes career growth for your existing females - otherwise I have a strong feeling that the women in your company will exit in droves.

Nutanix Response

Aug 29, 2017 – Sr Director, Human Resources Business Partners

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We strive to create an environment where all employees can grow, thrive and do their best work. As you note, we offer opportunities for employees to learn and... More