Nutrisystem Weight Loss Counselor Reviews | Glassdoor

Weight Loss Counselor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dawn M. Zier

Pros
  • I have met some really great people during my (almost) 3 years here (in 7 reviews)

• I have also found it very refreshing to realize that this level of hard work is seen from the top down (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one understaffed call center for the entire country and there is very little cooperation across departments (in 10 reviews)

• Customer service calls on the sales line impacts conversion and makes that monthly goal unreasonable (in 10 reviews)

"Weight Loss Counselor"

Current Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Nutrisystem full-time

Pros

Training is excellent
    Health Incentives, such as employee weight loss/healthy living challenge, stress management training, walking challenge
    On-campus gym + walking trail
    Free coffee + tea, free/discounted food
    Motivation
    Team Involvement
    Professional Development
    Growth Opportunities
    Rewarding to be able to help customers
    Very nice coworkers + helpful supervisors/team leads
    Professional interviewing process
    Friendly, professional HR
    Open door policy, allowing for advice + feedback
    Job performance accountability + incentives

Cons

Only 30 minutes for lunch break- 45 minutes would be better to enjoy lunch and have a full half-hour walk!
    Mandatory to work one weekend day- I have had to turn down a lot of weekend trips because I already used my PTO. My family travels a lot but I can barely join them.

Advice to Management

Overall I am very happy with my experience with the company. I had a positive experience with the interviewing process and training, and I am enjoying working with the company currently! I find it very enjoyable and all of the employees are very nice!

I really like that we are evaluated on a consistent, regular basis and recognized for our performance via our scorecards and one-on-ones. In previous jobs my co-workers were able to get paid the same or more for socializing and underperforming, and I found this aggravating because I always worked so hard to increase my performance.

One suggestion I would like to give is to possibly reevaluate schedules so that employees get one weekend off/ month or something similar just so that we do not have to work every single weekend. I feel confined to this geographic location because I can't go away for a weekend. I also miss out on a lot of social events due to working every Saturday. I do enjoy having one weekday off for appointments and other things on my to-do list but found I have really been missing out on a lot of events with family/friends since I have worked at NutriSystem. Other than that I am very happy with the job!

May 16, 2016 – HR Director

Thanks very much for the great (and very thorough) review! All in all, it sounds like you are having a great experience here at Nutrisystem and that is great to hear. Your feedback on scheduling has ... More

"Not a long term place"

Current Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Fort Washington, PA

I have been working at Nutrisystem full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is simple yet overwhelming. A lot of overtime offered from Jan-April, PTO days, Night pay differential. Good temporary position until you find something else.

Cons

As a weight loss counselor you're doing everyone's job and not getting paid enough. You take on the role as sales, retention, customer service, IT for Nutrisystem Numi app, weight loss counselor, and manager because managers encourage you to de-escalate calls by lying to customers saying they are unavailable since they never get on the phone. You start to feel depressed because you can not get two days off in a row so it feels like your life is nothing but work, management encourages shift swaps but coworkers usually do not want to switch. Besides the phone calls managers are constantly on your back about metrics/call lengths and surveys that cut off before the customer can take it. Customers are usually upset about false information they're given to join the program by sales reps and weight loss counselors are to hear the complaints when the problem could be resolved if sales reps were trained better. The breaks could also be a little longer since being on the phone is so exhausting, and raises are little to none.

Advice to Management

Improve the company then maybe the turnover rate would not be so high

Apr 20, 2017 – HR Director

The weight loss counseling position is a role that wears many hats. We train our counselors to assist customers with questions on the program, motivation, goal-setting, sales, retention and customer ... More

3. "I don't know where all these good reviews are coming from"

Former Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Fort Washington, PA

I worked at Nutrisystem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good base pay
    Good facilities
    Good co workers

Cons

Terrible sick day policy (there is none, you miss work a couple days in a year without a doctors note and your fired)
    Terrible compensation, in my time at the company I saw sales incentives in my department drop while responsibilities increased.
    This is one understaffed call center for the entire country and there is very little cooperation across departments. One department is expected to take overflow reponsabilitiess for all others without equal compensation.
    Idendity issues. This company tries to present itself to its employees as one of those new age, fun and hip places to work but at the end of the day, it's your same old corporation. When I was there, we weren't allowed to celebrate birthdays anymore because one employee was upset that everybody forgot theirs. There's a large catered Christmas party every year that only about half the employees can go to because the company doesn't want to hurt its bottom line for that one day so they have it outsode the office and only those who have off that day can attend. These seem like a minor issue but it represents a greater mismanagement of priorities.

Advice to Management

Figure out your priorities. If you want to be know of as a fun company to work for, then Invest in your employee, make them excited to meet your rediculous expectation with better incentives and percs. If you want to just make as much money as possible off of peoples' weight issues, then stop trying to pretending to care about your employees so much and invest in expanding your employee base so that even if they're not happy, there's at least enough of them to handle the amount of business you want to do.

Sep 1, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

It’s great to hear you positive feedback on Nutrisystem’ s pay, facilities, & employees. Those are very important components that create an opportunity for a successful work place. I did want to ... More

"Unbearable"

Former Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Fort Washington, PA

I worked at Nutrisystem full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro was my workers. The people who I worked with were the individuals who made my position rewarding. That is the time I actually got to speak with them.

Cons

Was told that our job was going to be counseling. This was a complete lie. We were technically "glorified" customer service reps. During the training process we were told that we would take a "few" customer service calls but our main role was counseling and helping customers. Most of the customers we deal with and their expectations are unrealistic. It was honestly the most mind numbing job I've ever had.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be have more respect for your employees. When they come to you for help ... Help them. Don't give them generic answers that are unproductive. If there was a better communication process between management and employee I would have probably stayed with my position. I felt disrespected and undervalued as a employee and as a person. Telling me to be empathetic to a person who is cursing me out doesn't really help me and then 2 min later telling me to go back at them is just contradictory. Pick one.

Feb 25, 2016 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your experience. While the position was not a right fit for you, we do take great care during our interview process to clearly outline our ... More

"Counselor"

Current Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Fort Washington, PA

I have been working at Nutrisystem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent staff and coworkers. You always know where you stand with the company. Lots of incentives to do well. Great moral. Opportunity for growth. Game room and gym onsite. Opportunity for commission.

Cons

Must work 1 weekend day every week. No flexibility with sick days. Working some holidays out of the year. This is the only downside. Commission for selling program, but not much.

Advice to Management

Hire certain staff to work weekends. I believe more employees would stick around longer if we were not required to work weekends. This is the only con.

Dec 16, 2015 – HR Director

Thank you so much for your feedback. It is great to hear all of the many positives that you have outlined regarding your role and the company. While our schedules do include one weekend day, we do ... More

7. "Weight Loss Counselor"

Former Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Atco, NJ
    Former Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Atco, NJ

I worked at Nutrisystem (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic company morale with close attention to impeccable customer service

Cons

extensive commute with minimal adjustment options

Advice to Management

advise event policy

Apr 29, 2015 – HR Director

Thanks for your great feedback!

"Terribly frustrating and stressful!!!"

Former Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Fort Washington, PA

I worked at Nutrisystem part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has an excellent product and great people work there. My co-workers were awesome!

Cons

Management tends to utilize a negative strategy to deal with employees. For example, there is an attendance policy that does not allow employees to utilize sick days when they are sick. In fact there are no sick days. Many employees are forced to either use their PTO "Paid Time Off" or to come to work sick. Management makes no exceptions in these cases and employees are often penalized for calling out of work. The ability to advance within the company is minimal. Only certain hand-picked people are allowed to be promoted, while others who have been at the company for years, and are extremely qualified are not being promoted.

Advice to Management

Management needs to understand that when you are good to your people they will be good to you. Try a more positive approach to dealing with employees. Give them a more positive and fair work environment and a more flexible time-off policy, which will help them to have a more enjoyable experience at your company.

Jan 12, 2015 – Senior Recruiter

We are appreciative of your feedback and suggestions. Our Paid Time Off policy is created to cover both Vacation & Sick days. We review our policies on a regular basis to make sure they are ... More

"Total Disrespect for Employees' Intelligence"

Former Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Fort Washington, PA

I worked at Nutrisystem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the work environment is clean, there are several social occasions throughout the year such as employee appreciation BBQ and Holiday party.

Cons

nepotism:

people are groomed by management for promotions. when positions in management open up, they already know who they're going to hire even though they encourage any employee to apply. there was once a position for team lead open and they held interviews. They offered the position to the person they had been grooming but that person did want the shift that was offered and declined the position. Instead of hiring another qualified applicant, management decided to not fill the position at all and instead break up the responsibilities of the position and give them to the people who had applied without giving them a raise or promotion.

increased responsibility:

During my time with the company, the weight loss counselors responsibilities increased to cover several responsibilities of all the other departments.

Counselors are expected to handle overflow from sales, retention, customer service, and Nutrition and Dietary. There is no department that handles overflow from counseling. I suppose management might say that is because weight loss counselor is a position that requires a degree while most other departments do not. However, a rep in sales or retention that is good at their job can easily earn more money than the degree carrying counselors and customer service reps only starts $1 less an hour than counselors.

reduced benefits/compensations:

Since starting with the company I have seen a reduction in benefits and compensation. The have removed the on site gym to save money on insurance and they have reduced the commission earned by counselors.

While continuing counselors (a position that is supposed to be about personal service) to sell more and more, commissions have been reduced. For each program sale, a counselor used to get $10 and for ala carte orders, 3% (both numbers considerably less than what a sale rep would earn for similar sales) . Not long after starting there, they changed it to 3% across the board which means a counselor could only make $6-$9 per program sale (depending on the program) as opposed to $10. and more recently, commission has been reduced to 2% across the board.

Also, on several occasions, we would all receive emails that said we were to cover retention and try to prevent people from canceling their program. A retention rep would make commission on saving customers but a counselor does not.

All in all, the company definitely feels like it is trying to act like a bigger company than it actually is.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Initial benefits seems appealing but stop tripping them away.Hire more employees, fill that half empty call center to relive pressure on employees.

Add another call center for the west coast instead of one call center on the east coast for the whole country which leads to long hours for employees without any lulls in phone activity. If the company wants to continue to perform well across the entire country than it needs to expand physically.

If you want employees to sell more, offer more commission not less.

Jan 7, 2015 – HR Director

Thank you for your note. I am sorry that your experience with us was not more positive. Your experience does not reflect the majority of our staff in our Contact Center. We recently ended our ... More

"A wonderful place to come to work"

Current Employee - Senior Weight Loss Counselor & Social Media Liaison At Nutrisystem in Fort Washington, PA

I have been working at Nutrisystem full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the folks that I work with. The atmosphere around the work place is fun, committed, and supportive. If you work hard for the company, they work hard for you. The benefits are amazing; you really cannot beat them. We receive a ton of paid time off which is great. I believe our salary is assessed based on fair and appropriate means. My departments really challenge me to be better and I like that aspect of where I work and what I do. They lead by example.

Cons

Some have to work on holidays such as Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc, which is not that big of a deal and it actually is a chance to make more money but it would be nice to have off.

Advice to Management

My experience with management has been mostly positive and constructive. I am at my current position because I received proper mentoring. I think they do a good job at identifying talent and trying to bring it out so that it can be put to good use. Again, they work hard for you if you work hard for them.

Jul 14, 2014 – Senior Recruiter

We appreciate your detailed feedback! Thank you for taking the time to respond.

11. "Former Weightloss Counselor"

Former Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Fort Washington, PA

I worked at Nutrisystem full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Organized and successful company. Pay and commission was great AND overtime was offered, frequently. Friendly, laid back environment with casual dress. The company was always bringing perks to the floor: gifts, giftcards, lunch, snacks. The amount of weighloss of the clients was so much more successful than I had anticipated prior to working at Nutrisystem. This made the job so exciting!!

Cons

I have no cons to share

Advice to Management

Loved the available overtime, commission and perks!