Nyhus Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Roger Nyhus

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best independent agency in Seattle"

I have been working at Nyhus Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of interesting and challenging clients to work on at Nyhus. Great place to learn how things really get done in Seattle.

The team is a lot of fun and easy to work with, good culture and nice office environment. They take time to celebrate success and important milestones.

Cons

Normal ebb and flow of agency life.

Advice to Management

Upper management has stabilized and is bringing great structure to the company. Keep on implementing all the great changes. The staff loves the transparency and being a part of the business.

"Horrible CEO"

I worked at Nyhus Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good experience on your resume.

Cons

The CEO is only concerned with himself, his profits and his image. Staff cycle through as quickly as they can due to this terrible leadership.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your staff and clients and less about your image

"Unparalleled opportunities for staff, tremendous growth potential for the firm in the future"

I have been working at Nyhus Communications full-time

Pros

Having worked at agencies ranging from large to small in the past, I really enjoy the flexibility, variety of client work and opportunities that Nyhus provides. I’ve had the chance to grow my skill set in new ways that would not have been possible elsewhere. What’s more, I value our collective creativity and the entrepreneurial spirit that guides our company. The best new ideas or approaches to solving a client problem do not have to come from the top down – everyone has a voice on the client accounts they work on behalf of every day. Roger empowers everyone – from the intern that started last week to the seasoned communications veteran – to be proactive in offering creative solutions and bringing new ideas to our daily work. Also, what has really surprised me is just how engaged everyone at the firm is in the community outside of work. From serving on non-profit boards to participating in industry trade committees to volunteering for local government boards and commissions, our team members are applying their expertise not just at work but out in the community as well.

I’m really excited for what’s in store for Nyhus over the next 5-10 years.

Cons

Several other reviews have noted the issue of high turnover in the past. While turnover was high in the past (in an industry known for high turnover, particularly among the more junior staff), this trend appears to have stabilized considerably in the past 9-12 months with the addition of a half dozen or so key senior-level hires. The executive leadership and senior management teams are still relatively new; however, they have successfully notched several high profile client wins in recent months.

"Cannot Recommend"

I worked at Nyhus Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place for a beginner to get some experience under their belt. A good bet for interns. Wouldn't make a long-term commitment here.

Cons

You simply cannot trust the CEO. No long-term strategy. Or, at least, no long-term strategy that sticks around for more than six months. Frequent changes in direction means entire departments are created and then laid off within one year. Turnover is still a major issue and it all comes back to the CEO's bad leadership and worse management. Turnover is still an issue despite several years of having that problem "solved." Company is constantly "poised for growth" but can't grow beyond 20 seats because of frequent layoffs and people very rarely staying on the team more than 18 months.

Advice to Management

Step back and let the people you hired to manage your team for you do their job, before they quit too.

"Some interesting client work, but horrible top-down culture, weak management and loose ethics"

I worked at Nyhus Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This can be an exciting place to work at first, given its regionally prominent clients. The offices are nice, and the team I worked with was mostly talented and professional.

Cons

I was one of the first 20 people to work for Nyhus, and by the remarks I've seen in the other reviews, it sounds as if little has changed over the years. I agree with most everything said. As in many offices, at Nyhus, loyalty and subservience is awarded over talent and innovation - but don't expect to get paid what you're worth even if you're loyal.

Also, beware of any promises made to you by the CEO. (Remember that company culture typically comes from the top down.)

Advice to Management

Find some good management. Acknowledge and reward good work by not only promoting talent, but also increasing salaries. Learn to communicate openly and truthfully with staff.

"Problems start at the top"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nyhus Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It looks good on your resume

Cons

The terrible management of this firm begins at the top. The CEO is more concerned with promoting himself and extracting as much money from his clients than he is with customer service and employee growth. The turnover of staff is very high and for a very good reason. It's just not a good place to work.

Advice to Management

Focus on delivering value for your clients and growth opportunities for your employees and things may improve

"Wouldn't Recommend"

Pros

* Opportunity to take on a wide array of projects and responsibilities above your pay grade.
    * Nice perks, including a well-stocked kitchen and ORCA bus pass.

Cons

* Extremely high-turnover, which prevents any kind of internal culture or team camaraderie from developing.
    * Inconsistency in expectations and evaluations among team members, as well as a lack of accountability for mid- and senior-level employees.
    * Compensation at the low end of market rate, despite high billing rates and being asked to do work above ones pay grade.
    * Lack of mentorship or strong professional development programs.
    * Long hours, including nights and weekends, are the norm.

Advice to Management

Reduce the terrible turnover rate by addressing compensation, accountability and employee expectations. That stability will create trust and allow mentorship and a real team culture to develop.

"Great place for entry-level professionals, a terrible place to grow."

I worked at Nyhus Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nyhus is a great place to be an entry-level professional and get your start in public relations, public affairs or marketing. The pay sucks, but there are some incredible opportunities to work directly with clients or contribute to strategy development.

The stocked kitchen includes a refrigerator full of wine and beer which sure is great for coping with the high turnover, sudden terminations, low pay and questionable billing practices.

Cons

As said above, the pay is terrible and below market rate, and it doesn't help that the health care coverage is expensive and not very comprehensive. This is all strange considering that Nyhus charges some of the city's highest hourly rates to clients.

On the PR side, the firm works primarily for one health care client while the marketing team subsists on one higher ed client. Both teams have had great difficulty maintaining clients or winning new business. The client turnover across the firm is disturbing. On the PA side, the firm works on a number of controversial projects including Millennium Bulk Terminals (part of the coal train proposals), a crude oil import-export terminal and for PhRMA, the lobbying arm of the pharmaceuticals industry.

The employee turnover is horrendous. Employees are constantly under threat of sudden terminations, lay-offs or the immediate departure of a director without any efforts to recruit new management. Instead, director-level responsibilities are delegated to mid-level staff without additional training, support or compensation. In my time at Nyhus, I saw about 80 percent of the staff turnover twice, over two years.

Advice to Management

Practice business ethics, bill for product not process, dedicate your work towards exceptional client service and support your people.

"Former employee"

I worked at Nyhus Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok place to get your foot into the industry, well stocked kitchen, ORCA card for transportation, hands on experience with clients and the ability to work on multiple accounts at once.

Cons

Employee turn over is incredibly high. This is due to the lack of competent employees, terrible management, below industry standard compensation and a lack of employee transparency. During my almost two years at Nyhus I was forced to work under upwards of five different managers and saw about 80 percent of the staff leave on their own terms.

Advice to Management

Listen to the deeper issues of the agency or you will continue to lose employees and clients. Don't force work onto you junior level staff and have them bill out higher than most Account Director's at other agencies.

"Cannot Recommend"

I worked at Nyhus Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nyhus offers some decent perks, such as a fully stocked kitchen, paid phone and a bus pass. There are good internal and external writing opportunities if you desire them. I enjoyed working with my direct teammates, both of whom were passionate and friendly. There are some well-known clients.

Cons

I was hired into a newly created position, told there was plenty of work, and then 4 months later they decided to eliminate the position altogether and go in a "different direction." The turnover rate was horrendous. In the 4 months I was there, 30% of the staff left for better opportunities. I received feedback from multiple directions, and my recommendations and suggestions were consistenly challenged (I am not junior level). I asked for the opportunity to stand while working, and to move away from the direct sightline of the overhead TV-- which shows CNN all day long and is very distracting-- both requests were denied. It takes director-level approval for a channel change! The overall atmosphere is very formal, and I felt consistenly undervalued and disrespected. Real mentorship opportunities don't exist. Bottom line- it was a bad gamble.

Advice to Management

With a smaller firm, there are opportunities for more cohesiveness, integration and fun. Nyhus should take advantage of this. Ease up on the buttoned down formal atmosphere. Make sure you are protective of work/life balance. If you say you are about something- back it up.