KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Nylas Reviews

Updated May 3, 2022

Found 58 of over 58 reviews

4.1
Nylas CEO Gleb Polyakov (no image)
Gleb Polyakov

57 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A wonderful and inclusive place to work

Apr 5, 2022 - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent career growth opportunities Focus on inclusion and belonging Great company outlook and total addressable market Work life balance Visibility into leadership decisions

Cons

Really fast growth so we are fixing some processes Not a big name in the market yet

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good people, bad management

May 3, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really smart, kind, and helpful coworkers Product value makes a lot of sense Average pay, good benefits You build a lot of new things, don't spend your days fixing bugs

Cons

Management, especially upper management is not great Upper management tries to "motivate" you with tight timelines Cross organization conflicts, too many directions not enough focus They track your work (commits, PRs, points, etc) which is not accurate and demotivating Product is unstable

4 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Terrible Career Move

Apr 26, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent benefits, unlimited PTO, product has potential. Some good, talented people.

Cons

Toxic environment, even for a startup and lot's of great employees are churning left and right. Leadership team is mostly well-intended but each person seems like they're following their own agenda. So, priorities are always changing and progress is slow and painful. Some CXOs seem to have more clout than others and have more weight in decisions- like CRO and SVP of Engineering. Inexperienced managers and directors are every man for themselves and there is a lot of backstabbing and criticism behind the scenes. Sales compensation and bonuses are unrealistic, moving targets. There’s also no pay band transparency. We often get trained on products that are rolled out and quickly rolled back or eliminated because they were half baked. This seems to be getting better. Product team is overseen by Engineering who seems to build whatever they want based on one thing one customer said that one time. HR is terrible. They ask for feedback but either dont do anything about it or use it to pit colleagues against each other. It makes no sense and is so counterproductive. They hide behind awards they pay for to project a healthy culture but every team seems to be struggling with overwork, churn, and confusion. I really wanted to love this company. I gave it a chance, but wish I would have invested my time elsewhere. I could have been advancing my career and adding bullets to my resume vs. spinning my wheels while management figures out what the company and product is trying to be. Ultimately, I felt dispensable and didn't get much value out of my time there other than learning what red flags to avoid in the future.

9 people found this review helpful

Nylas Response

Chief of Staff

From our CEO + Co-Founder, Gleb I appreciate you sharing your feedback and wish you had a better experience working at Nylas. We take feedback like this very seriously and will use it to help make things better for current and future employees. It’s been a big year, and there’s been a lot of change. We’ve seen Nylas grow and scale incredibly quickly (almost 3x, now over 300 employees), all while bringing on some of the largest customers in our company’s history. A lot changes when a company grows this quickly. A lot also breaks. A central part of our culture is to move quickly, test, and iterate. This can be extremely frustrating at times because we’re not going to do everything perfectly, no matter how hard we work. That’s why we put a big focus on continuous improvement, led by data and feedback. We know we have some big challenges while scaling and that we’re continually making progress on, like: Alignment and communication between departments / teams How we support and train our managers How we structure our teams to hit our goals We are also really proud of what we’ve done well, like hiring amazing people to join our team, launching new products and improvements, and supporting infrastructure needs for a wide variety of innovative companies. Again, we appreciate your feedback and wish we had done better for you. If you have any other feedback you’d like to share and feel comfortable doing so, please always feel free to reach out to me at ceo@nylas.com, as I’d love to understand more about your experience and how we could’ve done better. Gleb

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Do Better

Apr 29, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most of the people are good people, compensation and benefits.

Cons

The company still has a lot of growing pains and work to do. More office politics than usual for a smaller org.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work esp. in marketing!

Dec 27, 2021 - Marketing Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fast-paced Great benefits Collaborative culture within marketing World-class CMO

Cons

Lots of new hires who need to gel Young sales leadership - needs to mature

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0

Great Benefits/Perks

Oct 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nylas offers a generous benefits package, which includes: competitive pay & equity, 90% employer paid premiums for health insurance (medical, dental, vision), $150 wellness stipend, $50 cell phone reimbursement, $1,000 personal/professional development budget, 401k match, unlimited PTO.

Cons

Nylas is growing very quickly and that comes with a set of challenges and growing pains. Benefits are not the same across different locations (US/Canada/EU).

6 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Former Employee

They try their best to treat employees well but product/tech is lacking

May 11, 2021 - Customer Facing
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Incredible teammates. Truly some of the best I've worked with. - Founders and CEO are likable people and feel dependable. - Seem to genuinely care about the sanity of employees. Give great benefits, encourage time off, and have company holidays. - Feels like the company is onto something big. Everyone works hard!

Cons

- It feels like no one can last more than a year here because of the workload and issues with certain managers. It's paradoxical because they try too hard to make it a good workplace, but some managers just ruin it. If it's not the managers then it's the feeling of having the weight of the world on your shoulders. - Expanded the sales team way too much and too fast without expanding the technical team. There is crazy technical depth and everyone feels it, especially customers! - Product direction doesn't make sense at times. It feels that the VP of Eng is just the loudest and most aggressive and has taken over the product direction. Instead of talking to customers and doing proper business analysis, he came up with pie in the sky dreams and found the metrics to match them. Now the company is on a path that customers don't understand based on the issues that already exist. - Too much politics. Seen so many people who care deeply about the product, the team, and the customers leave because they don't feel heard or understood. It feels like the company never learns from the people leaving and just keeps making the same mistake

28 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0

Great people and product

Aug 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome team of people to work with!

Cons

Can be a difficult product to sell at times

Be the first to find this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Growing pains and uncertain product direction

Apr 8, 2021 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

As with most startups, it's fast-paced and dynamic. Everyone has a very enthusiastic team spirit to try to make this thing a unicorn. There's a good amount of opportunity to make a big impact and take ownership over large projects.

Cons

The company doubled in size last year and you can really feel the growing pains culturally. Teams don't know how to collaborate and there's miscommunication about roles & responsibilities. The product direction seems quite aimless: we're launching new products and features with no clear plan. It's a bit chaotic and leadership isn't really taking the reins.

9 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee

I didn’t write a review because I never wanted to think about this place again

Aug 27, 2020 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Many fantastic people worked here for short periods of time

Cons

Don’t be fooled folks: this place only has 4.9 stars because people are too scared, damaged, or severely burned out to write reviews. My own experience is out of date, but many sources confirm it’s been all downhill since. It was already miserable to work at when I was there. There’s been probably about 300% turnover in the last two years, with something like half of those people leaving without another another job lined up. Some have taken months to recover; some left within only a few months of starting. Some highlights: - Unequal and well below market rate compensation - Promotions remarkably biased and minimally related to performance - Inability to develop essential standard technical and non-technical work processes - Brutal on-call and overall engineering work environment - IC engineers needing to fill roles of PM, management, lead, and more without support - Executives inappropriately pressuring, punishing, and manipulative towards employees - Obsession with D&I but declined to include race and wouldn’t even take action on sexist incidents - Mostly tenured, mostly male boys club treated totally differently from rest of engineering team - Boys club given endless passes for failures while others harshly criticized for mistakes - Boys club rewarded while exhibiting toxic behavior towards coworkers and derailing their work And all the problems that result from these things, and so much more. It felt like a very special kind of soul crushing experience, and I'd hate to see any more lovely people show up expecting a nice little female founded gem.

23 people found this review helpful

Nylas Response

CTO

Hey there, I was super bummed to see this review. I have always cared a lot about the experiences that all employees, especially engineers, have at Nylas and hate to see that your experience created this much frustration and anxiety for you. I understand that we don’t share the same perspective on working at Nylas, but there’s definitely some things in here that I recognize are valid. 1. Brutal on-call: On-call is hard no matter where you work, but especially at an API company, where reliability is critical for our customers. That’s one of the reasons why I’m personally building and leading our reliability team. It’s not only increasing customer reliability, but also making on-call less noisy and brutal for our engineers. And as of our last quarter, we implemented an on-call bonus for engineers ($1k for every week of primary on-call), to help recognize the extra effort and impact of this duty. 2. IC engineers needing to fill roles of PM, management, lead, and more without support: This is outdated but definitely something we’ve recognized and have been actively working on over the past year. We’re a startup and that oftentimes has meant less clearly defined boundaries for job functions. We’ve since hired PMs and have further built out the product team to help support our engineers. We’ve also restructured our teams, hired more managers, and more engineers for leads positions, to give better focus and coverage for these functions. As a Founder, it’s my job to work hard to make sure folks who work at Nylas feel like they’ve had the opportunity to become better, whether they decide to stay or leave. We recognize that, like all companies, we will always need to find ways to be better. I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to do this for you. I hope you’ve found success wherever you landed, and appreciate your candor. Christine Spang Co-Founder & CTO

Viewing 1 - 10 of 58 Reviews

Nylas Reviews FAQs

Nylas has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 58 reviews left anonymously by employees. 79% of employees would recommend working at Nylas to a friend and 76% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Nylas employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Nylas. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

79% of Nylas employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Nylas 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 4.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Nylas to be career development, senior leadership, benefits and the cons to be work life balance, compensation, management.

Popular Careers with Nylas Job Seekers