Nylon Magazine Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 4, 2019

Found 33 reviews

3.2
Ashley Baker
Pros
  • "Wish there was a position open because it would be a great work environment(in 5 reviews)

• "(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only downside, is that since we are a small company, there is a lot of work to do(in 3 reviews)

• "Since we are unpaid interns getting class credit, the tasks we are assigned are supposed to be related to our coursework(in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Grow"

I have been working at Nylon Magazine full-time

Pros

Everyone is very empowered to run with ideas, develop new skills, and contribute to various sides of the organization. The team is small and flat, so you can have a big impact and really stand out. People are generally very kind to each other. There was some old baggage (as with any media company these days) but I really believe in what we're doing, and in the people around me!

Cons

It's an indie brand, so you're probably not going to make as much as you would in a new media company, but you will definitely earn a better title than you would at those place

Advice to Management

Bring in more good people!

Nylon Magazine2019-04-04
  2. "Not a healthy work environment at all"

I worked at Nylon Magazine full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked with some of the most talented people in media during my time at NYLON and made lifelong friendships.

Cons

Very clique-y, upper management needs a lot of work.

Nylon Magazine2019-04-02
  3. "Growth"

I have been working at Nylon Magazine full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've never learned more in such a short amount of time! Because NYLON is small and independent, everyone here wears many hats. We have the opportunity to work collaboratively and learn from other departments daily. Everyone here has a clear understanding of the mission behind NYLON. This company feels like the best parts of what working at a startup is like (ability to take on lots of projects, ability to pitch...

Cons

The only downside, is that since we are a small company, there is a lot of work to do! It can get really busy but at the end of the day it is still exciting because we all have the ability to take on projects that help us gain new experiences and skills.

Nylon Magazine2019-02-20
  4. "Lots of growth and flexibility"

I have been working at Nylon Magazine full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've honestly learned more at Nylon professionally and personally than anywhere else. I've witnessed a lot of change in the company and with that I've learned to adapt to new visions and have been able to collaborate more and more as I develop in my career. Here you have the opportunity to pitch new ideas, take on new projects, and grow professionally.

Cons

We're no Refinery29. We're a small company so everyone is always super busy. There is no slow month, but with that your days fly by and there is not a dull day ever.

Advice to Management

More company wide meetings for those who don't get the exposure around upcoming events or new company initiatives.

Nylon Magazine2019-02-20
  5. "Disorganized"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Nylon Magazine full-time for less than a year

Pros

Creative environment At the brink of pop culture Progressive and liberal work environment Community of creatives and risk takers

Cons

Low pay Disorganized Lack of transparency Lack of growth opportunities

Nylon Magazine2019-02-08
    • "Go Elsewhere"

I have been working at Nylon Magazine full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good location, outings, trips, office foods

Cons

Catty, mean girl environment, no longer relevant, obvious favoritism. Would not recommend.

Nylon Magazine2019-01-21
    • "Great staff, horrible management"

I worked at Nylon Magazine full-time

Pros

Lots of free stuff, accessible office, editorial team is friendlier and less cliquey than other fashion magazines. Dogs in the office.

Cons

Management is a nepotistic wreck. There's no money to carry out any of the smart staff's creative ideas. Never witnessed anyone get a promotion. Zero flexibility or understanding if you're sick.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people, not worker bees. Pay them better and reward them for their work. And invest in quality content!

Nylon Magazine2018-09-10
    • "Better Than It's Ever Been"

I have been working at Nylon Magazine full-time

Pros

Incredibly talented staff, relaxed work environment where creativity is encouraged. After a rough couple of years the company is finally heading in the right direction and supporting new initiatives.

Cons

Everyone is expected to be a self starter, which doesn't work for all personality types.

Advice to Management

Invest more in content creators!

Nylon Magazine2018-05-10
    • "You can't polish a turd."

I have been working at Nylon Magazine full-time

Pros

Could be a great brand and the people "on the ground" really care.

Cons

Nepotism. Always looking for quick fixes/shortcuts that are too good to be true. No organic traffic. Zero editorial budget despite the great editorial talent. Can't pay contracted vendors/talent/influencers. Bad acquisitions like Simply Stylist- don't feel bad if you don't know what that is, no one does.

Nylon Magazine2018-04-27
      • "Deteriorating culture, bullying and nepotism"

I worked at Nylon Magazine full-time

Pros

Laid back atmosphere. Select coworkers are absolutely fantastic. Used to be a truly wonderful pace to work.

Cons

Rampant nepotism is grotesque. The current upper management is so unqualified, they should be embarrassed. Execs consistently reward bad behavior even at the expense of losing true talent.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and effectively address their concerns instead of burying your head in the sand. Stop rewarding bad behavior and empower the HR department to make decisions about terminable offenses and employee misconduct. Replace managers and execs with people who have actual experience. Stop giving away inflated job titles to people who don’t deserve them.

Nylon Magazine2018-01-27