Nystrom and Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brian Nystrom

Pros
  • Nystrom's is a good place to get a crash course of what it's like to work in the mental health field (in 7 reviews)

• The support staff takes care of everything and is extremely professional (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • All of the IT and HR support staff are in the metro and if there is an immediate need it can take awhile to get contacted back (in 9 reviews)

• The community based program gets little to no support from upper management and are over worked (in 8 reviews)

1. "Clinical Psychotherapist"

Current Employee - Clinical Psychotherapist in Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Clinical Psychotherapist in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at Nystrom and Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The support staff takes care of everything and is extremely professional. The company constantly advertises and keeps a flood of customers coming in, so my schedule is as full as I want it to be. Great benefits. Plenty of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

If you choose salary, you're trading some freedom and flexibility for more reliability. Good option for early practitioners just building a case load but not for those with a full load. Fortunately, you're able to swap back to production pretty quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on providing the highest level of support to clients and things will stay great.

Jun 1, 2017 – Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for your review!

2. "Happy At Work"

Current Employee - LPCC in Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - LPCC in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at Nystrom and Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing staff, so many opportunities, great location, amazing directors, and wonderful clients

Cons

Paperwork? Not sure. Paperwork will be a part of any job though.

Advice to Management

Continue to show that you support and appreciate your staff! It makes a big difference!

Jun 1, 2017 – Human Resources Coordinator

Thanks so much for your review!

"Great work place and benefits"

Current Employee - Psychotherapist in Otsego, MN
    Current Employee - Psychotherapist in Otsego, MN

I have been working at Nystrom and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive staff, great benefits, flexible schedule, and even though it is a large company, you feel cared for and have a chance to meet and connect with other colleagues.

Cons

I can't think of any.

May 5, 2017 – Human Resources Coordinator

Thanks for your review! It is great to hear that you are enjoying your role as a therapist at the Otsego location! Thanks, The HR Team at Nystrom

"Great Management, Fair Pay and Benefit for Fulfilling Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brighton, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brighton, MN

Pros

-Comparing to previous employers Nystrom management has friendly and efficient management.
    -The company makes sure you are well trained, and if questions ever do arise management is open about answering any questions
    -Pay and benefits are fair- nothing to complain about
    -Being about to help to people with their mental health is fulfilling work
    -Co-workers are friendly and there's no drama or gossip
    -Ability to move up in the company
    -Volunteer opportunities

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about Nystrom and Associates.

May 3, 2017 – Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for your review! It's great to hear you are satisfied with your management team and that they are friendly and efficient. We have a wonderful group of mid level and upper level ... More

"school based therapist, co-locate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brighton, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brighton, MN

I worked at Nystrom and Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My immediate supervisor tried to help.

Cons

salary, value by HR and owner

Advice to Management

Get a new manager

May 16, 2017 – Human Resources Coordinator

Hi, I am sorry to hear that you had some negative experiences. HR is not aware of any recent School Based Therapists that have had the concerns that you mention in your review. It would be helpful ... More

"A great place to work and awesome co-workers!"

Current Employee - Armhs in New Brighton, MN
    Current Employee - Armhs in New Brighton, MN

I have been working at Nystrom and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a lot of support. There's always someone willing to help out and that is not always easy to find. Really helps you get the support you need to grow in your role quickly.

Cons

I suppose like any larger organization it's difficult to meet face to face with all those your work/interact with on a regular basis. However, they do have monthly meetings and support lateral and upward mobility which helps.

Advice to Management

Well I would say "use feedback" as many organizations don't seem to, but I have found they want it here and actually use/incorporate it as well!

Apr 14, 2017 – Human Resources Coordinator

We are pleased that you are finding Nystrom a great place to work! We understand and agree that having supports in place are critical, especially in this field, for our employees to be successful ... More

"Good place to work and grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Nystrom and Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to get to know the people I worked for, I felt like I knew the owner, HR, my superior and others well and could trust them. I was promoted very quickly after starting and was able to grown and develop in my position.

Cons

Smaller management team meant it was sometimes hard to get everything you need from them.

Advice to Management

Focus on retention and ask for staff feedback more. Also look at more benefit options in the future.

Feb 14, 2017 – Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for your review! It's very nice to hear that you enjoyed your position at Nystrom and that you felt happy about the work you were doing and were able to grow in your position and your ... More

"Love my job"

Current Employee - Support Staff in New Brighton, MN
    Current Employee - Support Staff in New Brighton, MN

I have been working at Nystrom and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers - very team oriented. Phenomenal office managers. Upper management, HR and the providers have been helpful and kind. Getting to interact with patients who are struggling in life and having the opportunity to brighten their day is incredibly rewarding. There is enough work to keep you busy but there are down times which I think is nice. Lots of opportunities to learn. The pay is reasonable for the positions and the amount of work they entail. I think this is a place where you get what you put in. Lots of internal promoting and ability to move up. If you work hard and you're a positive person you'll find that people want to be just as helpful and positive to you. I enjoy going to work every day.

Cons

None really, I really like this company and the working environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on that "team" mentality so we can all be supportive to each other. Keep your sight on helping the patients as much as possible.

Feb 17, 2017 – Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for your positive review. We are thrilled to head that you “love your job” as a Support Staff at our New Brighton office. It’s great to hear that you feel Nystrom is very “team ... More

"Only If You're Desperate"

Former Employee - Registration Coordinator in New Brighton, MN
    Former Employee - Registration Coordinator in New Brighton, MN

I worked at Nystrom and Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nystrom's is a good place to get a crash course of what it's like to work in the mental health field. And by good, I mean HORRIBLE! Honestly the only pro of working there is your co-workers. I did have the opportunity to meet some truly lovely people who just had the misfortune of really being hard up in the job department.

Cons

*Horrible management.
         -Management is completely disengaged from the day-to-day struggles of the support
          staff and registration staff; especially when it concerns staff safety.
    *LOADS of turnover.
        -constantly losing experienced employees.

Advice to Management

Do something to address the frequent turnover! Increase staff safety measures.

"Reactive Company with Unhealthy Management Mentality"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arden Hills, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arden Hills, MN

I worked at Nystrom and Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is rapidly expanding which allows for quick growth upward from entry level positions. A strong balance of gender equality in management experience, but no other diversity.

Cons

The company only cares about employees that make them the most money (med providers, outpatient therapists, etc.)
    The community based program gets little to no support from upper management and are over worked.
    The same pro is also a con. The rapid growth and internal promotions are due to high turn over rates and doesn't mean that the best candidates are always the ones promoted and there is no quality in management training. The growth upwards will get you one quick raise, but after that there is little to no movement or opportunity for growth or development. There is not vertical or even equivalent lateral movement available in the company.
    Supervisors are unsupportive and don't handle honest feedback well. If you aren't one of the company favorites, you better keep your head down and not say anything. If you have concerns you are supposed to bring them to your immediate supervisor, but she will then bring them to her supervisor and you will be punished for being a negative employee when all you are trying to do is improve the company work environment and mentality.
    Supervisor was never supportive and quick to throw me under the bus, especially when other departments are involved and you are only doing what your supervisor asks you to do. She has a way with apology emails that she says she's taking the blame but it still hangs you out there that it's your fault.
    My entire department was demoted before the start of the year and we went from being administrative staff to basically support staff. There is no respect.
    My supervisor was never on time. The last 2 months of my employment, she rescheduled every meeting we had planned either 15 minutes before it was supposed to start or an hour after. Reinforcing that you don't actually matter to the company and that your work is insignificant if you're not a med provider. These meetings include annual reviews which are scheduled a year in advance but are pushed off for weeks to avoid giving raises. The review process is unfair and you will be blindsided all at once with your deficiencies rather than correcting it and working with you when they are noticed.
    Supervisor tells you that she doesn't tolerate negative work environments, so instead of team building and trying to create positive environments, encourages you to fake it and bottle it up, which is incredibly unhealthy and infuriating especially in a mental health clinic.
    The unreported HIPAA violations are atrocious and talked about so casually. There is an entire printer full of health information that is unlocked and easily accessible by anyone that just enters the building. Continuing off of the HIPAA violations, the gossip policy is a joke. It only applies to support staff, but if supervisors are talking about how some patients are difficult when it doesn't actually involve their workflow, it goes unpunished, event when questioned if what is being discussed is appropriate. A coworker questioned gossip once, and was told that it doesn't matter if the supervisor is the one that is also joking about the patient.
    HR is extremely unapproachable. They never respond to emails in a timely manner. They want honest feedback, but will forward it without your knowledge or permission and they don't do anything with it but punish you for being negative.

Advice to Management

Do employee satisfaction surveys and actually take the feedback seriously. It comes from a genuine place of bettering the work environment. Treat all departments equally. Don't just baby the money makers (med providers and billing). Show some compassion to your employees. Look into better benefits for your employees.

Mar 16, 2017 – Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for your review and allowing us to respond to your review, despite many untrue claims that you allege. As you mention, there are many opportunities for job growth, enrichment ... More