O.C. Tanner Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
O.C. Tanner CEO Dave Petersen
Dave Petersen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a great work life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "It is absolutely a Great place to work" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management/executives have no clue what really goes on" (in 7 reviews)

• "Little to no movement/career path or professional development" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

I have been working at O.C. Tanner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great purpose and people. I have made lifelong friendships here. Benefits are great and the future of the company is bright. It’s a special place to work.

Cons

Growing pains from change and globalizing have been hard, but we will get through them.

Advice to Management

You can’t communicate enough! Keep on sharing our direction both good and bad even when to you the updates may seem small. We all want to know and we want to help make this place even better.

2. "Great Company To Work For!"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at O.C. Tanner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a great work life balance. The culture of the team is amazing as well. It can't be beat.

Cons

Internal growth opportunities - currently being improved

3. "Old school company stuck in 1985"

I worked at O.C. Tanner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Chocolates at Christmas and money for your birthday!

Cons

OC Tanner is one of the most old school companies that I have ever worked for (in many ways). They focus on “appreciation” and “culture” yet they can’t get a single “millennial” (they are obsessed with this hilarious term to describe the generation that makes up the majority of the workforce today!) to stay at this company because of the horrible culture and backwards thinking. Their processes are EXTREMELY outdated in ways you would not even believe. As an ADM (usually young, smart millennials who get tricked into thinking this is a good role), you will become your manager’s assistant in the field and be the person that does all of their work for them (usually while they work from home leisurely) and get paid zero commission for the work you do and the sales you get for them.

The job title for the ADM position is completely misleading and false. You are a glorified assistant and that is all there is to it. If that is what you’re looking for, this is the perfect role for you!

Also beware of their backwards approach to literally everything including the treatment of females in the workplace - aka females should be assistants to the males that are out there making all the money! As I mentioned ... stuck in 1985.

Another point is that they claim their bread and butter is their “awards program” because they believe this is how they build a strong culture and how their clients should build strong cultures - by appreciating their employees by giving them an award for their tenure at a company. The selection of awards internally and for external clients is embarrassing. If it were 1985, the gifts would be amazing.. but I’m not sure an employee is going to feel super appreciated when they receive a pin (because people still wear pins in 2019??) for their 1 year anniversary.

Seriously if you are interviewing for the ADM role, I would highly recommend reaching out to a former ADM on LinkedIn to get their honest input and opinion.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending the ADM role is a sales role - it is an assistant role. And treat your young employees as if they are valuable!

4. "Account Development Manager"

I have been working at O.C. Tanner full-time

Pros

Leadership cares about us. Valued as contributors to the organization.

Cons

I can't think of a con to working at O.C. Tanner.

"Shockingly Uninspiring"

I worked at O.C. Tanner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

O.C. Tanner Store/outlet
    Nice people
    Bonuses
    Founding philosophy

Cons

Fear among employees - not able to be honest
    Anger between departments
    Little to no movement/career path or professional development
    Old system - not applicable for any other job elsewhere

Advice to Management

Listen to your people; Times have changed.

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at O.C. Tanner full-time

Pros

I have joined O.C.Tanner recently. It is absolutely a Great place to work. We get chance to learn all kind of new technologies.

Cons

None. I don't see any cons working here.

7. "Doesn’t live up to it’s own hype"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at O.C. Tanner full-time

Pros

People in general care about getting the work done, a decent cause, and good amenities at the Salt Lake office.

Cons

Lack of development, pay not consistent with market, and no upper management transparency or accountability.

Advice to Management

You need to improve your workplace culture if you want people to want to work there long term.

8. "Front End Enginner"

I have been working at O.C. Tanner full-time

Pros

Good place to work for.

Cons

NA Didnt find any Cons

9. "Best Work I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Creative Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at O.C. Tanner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've had 25+ years in the agency world. Bringing my talent to O.C.Tanner has been a wonderful experience. They recognize and appreciate great work, work life balance is important to them. Smart and talented people to work with. Fantastic benefits and 401K! I've been here for 7 years and wish I could have found this company sooner. Promotions here are earned and given freely to deserving hard working people. They love to see smart young people lead and manage! I have never seen better leadership in my career than the caring upper management here. Don't believe the grumbling of people who have been here only a year or don't have years of employment experience. You can really build a career here. I also want to mention that this company is one of the most diverse that I've ever seen.

Cons

O.C.Tanner really cares about it's people. Sometimes that means that there are people who have been here many years who would do well to sharpen their skills or try another job. This falls on the employee to keep up with the times and stay marketable. If anything O.C.Tanner is sometimes too kind and loyal to their aged workers. Is that really a con? Wait until you're over 50.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Love the global expansion and technology focus.

10. "Great company, not great pay"

Current Employee - Client Success Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Client Success Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at O.C. Tanner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are amazing, the cafeteria food is great, 401K is outstanding.

Cons

Pay isn't great, management picks favorites and only invests in those few employees.