O.C. Tanner Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
O.C. Tanner CEO Dave Petersen
Dave Petersen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a great work life balance" (in 14 reviews)

• "It is absolutely a Great place to work" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management/executives have no clue what really goes on" (in 7 reviews)

• "Little to no movement/career path or professional development" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

I have been working at O.C. Tanner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great purpose and people. I have made lifelong friendships here. Benefits are great and the future of the company is bright. It’s a special place to work.

Cons

Growing pains from change and globalizing have been hard, but we will get through them.

Advice to Management

You can’t communicate enough! Keep on sharing our direction both good and bad even when to you the updates may seem small. We all want to know and we want to help make this place even better.

2. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at O.C. Tanner part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very easy place to work with a welcoming environment and positive culture.

Cons

Honestly can't think of any

"Great people leaving"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at O.C. Tanner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work life balance
    Amazing benefits
    I think I work with some of the best people in the industry, even if they are not treated as such.
    Great culture of appreciation (part of the DNA, it has to be right?)
    Team Autonomy is really amazing, even if there is a real struggle with vision at the leadership level.

Cons

Still stuck in the mindset of the company being a manufacturing company
    Also stuck in the mindset of the company being a sales organization
    Little understanding of SaaS, which is what they are trying to move to
    Very little mentoring, unless you are part of the "boys club"
    Too many people been there for too long, still very old school way of thinking. But I think that is changing very slowly.
    Promises of raises that never come to fruition.
    Lots of people leaving right now because of some changes which is concerning.

Advice to Management

Make strategic decisions and stick with them. Don't be shy to communicate clearly those strategic decisions, even if it means displeasing some people. Think to the future using the past, not just the past and how to make the past better.

4. "Freinds Club"

Pros

Excellent benefits, great overall company

Cons

Painfully Beaurocratic, Qualifications overlooked, does not reward forward thinking, slow to change, popularity wins over talent, qualifications, and passion.

Advice to Management

Know your employees better. Hire and promote based on qualifications and potential. Stop keeping people stuck in positions based on subjective personality traits.

"Client Services process owner."

Current Employee - Process Owner in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Process Owner in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at O.C. Tanner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

meet a lot of great people. work on projects that span across the company.

Cons

Difficulty moving within organization. pay seems to be lower than industry average with no signs of changing.

"Fine for a few years"

I worked at O.C. Tanner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really liked my first two years here. People are nice, pay is adequate, bonuses are great.

Cons

I tried to grow but got shut down repeatedly after two years with the company. A VP was hiring for a position and told me he wanted me to take the role, but after applying I didn't get the job. I asked my manager for software training but was told it 'wasn't necessary for my position.' I had to nag my manager to get training courses offered to other people at or below my leadership level. I interviewed for a new role and was offered the job, but that department couldn't get a few thousand to bring my salary over at a flat transfer (no pay increase).

Advice to Management

A lot of the middle management is unhappy at work and only continue to work there to provide health insurance for their families.

7. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at O.C. Tanner part-time

Pros

Great work-life balance, appreciation and recognition by management!

Cons

Not too many- construction projects in workspace?

8. "Great Company To Work For!"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at O.C. Tanner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a great work life balance. The culture of the team is amazing as well. It can't be beat.

Cons

Internal growth opportunities - currently being improved

"I work there 5 years"

Pros

None... Low wages... Bad management

Cons

After working there 5 years they were hiring people at more than what I was making I quit

"Old school company stuck in 1985"

I worked at O.C. Tanner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Chocolates at Christmas and money for your birthday!

Cons

OC Tanner is one of the most old school companies that I have ever worked for (in many ways). They focus on “appreciation” and “culture” yet they can’t get a single “millennial” (they are obsessed with this hilarious term to describe the generation that makes up the majority of the workforce today!) to stay at this company because of the horrible culture and backwards thinking. Their processes are EXTREMELY outdated in ways you would not even believe. As an ADM (usually young, smart millennials who get tricked into thinking this is a good role), you will become your manager’s assistant in the field and be the person that does all of their work for them (usually while they work from home leisurely) and get paid zero commission for the work you do and the sales you get for them.

The job title for the ADM position is completely misleading and false. You are a glorified assistant and that is all there is to it. If that is what you’re looking for, this is the perfect role for you!

Also beware of their backwards approach to literally everything including the treatment of females in the workplace - aka females should be assistants to the males that are out there making all the money! As I mentioned ... stuck in 1985.

Another point is that they claim their bread and butter is their “awards program” because they believe this is how they build a strong culture and how their clients should build strong cultures - by appreciating their employees by giving them an award for their tenure at a company. The selection of awards internally and for external clients is embarrassing. If it were 1985, the gifts would be amazing.. but I’m not sure an employee is going to feel super appreciated when they receive a pin (because people still wear pins in 2019??) for their 1 year anniversary.

Seriously if you are interviewing for the ADM role, I would highly recommend reaching out to a former ADM on LinkedIn to get their honest input and opinion.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending the ADM role is a sales role - it is an assistant role. And treat your young employees as if they are valuable!