Cover image for O.C. Tanner

O.C. Tanner

Engaged Employer

O.C. Tanner

Add a Review

O.C. Tanner Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 1, 2020

132 Comments

Consulting

444.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/consulting/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=O.C. Tanner~7910
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about O.C. Tanner? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with O.C. Tanner employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Because of the low pay the balance of work and life is skewed because people have to work more than 1 job to make ends meet.(in 19 reviews)
  • "Bad management makes all the difference.(in 15 reviews)
  • "Sales leadership is clueless.(in 12 reviews)
  • "There is little or no direction from managers and it is common for managers to throw their subordinates 'under the bus.'(in 9 reviews)
  • "Work from home has been great, but I miss the food from the onsite cafe at the office.(in 6 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of O.C. Tanner and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best place to work for

Mar 19, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Great Place to work and enjoy. -You get appreciated for the job well done.We have a healthy and helpful bunch of Colleagues. -Great Work culture -Good Work Life balance - Best of talented colleagues - Flexible working hours - Work and Fun go hand in hand - No pressure. So complete focus is on your work. - Just an awesome place and an excellent place.

Cons

We don't have cab facility.Even we cant say it as Cons because they provide Travel allowances :-)

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Tremendous growth

Aug 7, 2022 - Associate Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I started as an intern at O.C. Tanner and converted into a full time employee. The technology I learnt within a year contributing to my growth has been amazing. An individual's growth and efforts are encouraged and celebrated here. Even the Vice President of the company is an active participant in celebrating the recognitions and achievements.

Cons

Efforts are made to maintain work life balance but it could be improved by better planning

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Work/Life Balance

May 25, 2018 - Business Development Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

O.C. Tanner is obviously focused on employee appreciation and culture at all times, and as an employee you can feel that. Willing to stop everything and send you home if there is any type of family matter you need to deal with. Family is first and work comes second Successful company with great executive leadership Leadership communicates effectively how the company is doing Understanding management that encourages employees to have a rich work/life balance

Cons

Slow moving organization Training is not comprehensive

Be the first to find this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great people leaving

Feb 14, 2019 - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent work life balance Amazing benefits I think I work with some of the best people in the industry, even if they are not treated as such. Great culture of appreciation (part of the DNA, it has to be right?) Team Autonomy is really amazing, even if there is a real struggle with vision at the leadership level.

Cons

Still stuck in the mindset of the company being a manufacturing company Also stuck in the mindset of the company being a sales organization Little understanding of SaaS, which is what they are trying to move to Very little mentoring, unless you are part of the "boys club" Too many people been there for too long, still very old school way of thinking. But I think that is changing very slowly. Promises of raises that never come to fruition. Lots of people leaving right now because of some changes which is concerning.

6 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee

Lots of talk

May 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

They hire awesome people because of the purpose of the company and what it stands for. Work life balance

Cons

They don’t actually walk the talk when it comes to culture which is ironic as it’s what they sell. Lack of trust from executive leaders. Poor compensation plan. Outdated technology

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great place to work and live

Sep 1, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Best people. Phenomenal ,management. Good work life balance. Many activities. Best environment ever..even has a relaxation spa. Restaurant on premises is fabulous and affordable.

Cons

Latley has had too many layoffs of good people and managers. Salaries could use to be a bit more competitive.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Current Employee

Great company, but could improve in areas

Nov 24, 2016 -  in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work/life balance No micromanagement Experienced colleagues Sense of purpose

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities Visible favoritism Pay seems below average

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Manufacturing

Jul 6, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work/personal life balance. Company values their employees.

Cons

Changes occur slowly. Pay could be higher.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee

Nice place to work but lacks diversity

Dec 29, 2021 - ITS
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with O.C. Tanner for five years and mostly enjoy my job. The benefits are very good, and nearly everyone, from management down, is genuinely nice. O.C. Tanner has built its reputation on employee recognition, and it shows. The company truly values work/life balance and provides generous PTO and more than the average number of holidays off. The management strives for transparency. I'm not sure they fully achieve it, but they do try. For the most part, I feel appreciated and not overworked.

Cons

The company seriously lacks diversity. There are only two women in the C-suite, one of whom is a person of color. The rest of the C-suite is comprised of white males, almost all of the dominant religion in Utah. I find this highly problematic because with lack of diversity comes lack of progressive thinking. This brings me to my next issue, which is that the company is not moving in the right direction in terms of flexibility. Nearly the entire workforce of OCT worked remotely for 18 months during the pandemic. We had a record-breaking year of profitability. So what does management do? Force everyone back into the office. Yup, no more flexibility. Employees do have the option of working remotely twice a week (Thursday and Friday only), but why be so rigid about this? Why punish employees when there were no issues with people working from home? Just the opposite in fact. This circles around to the lack of forward thinking. Many companies are now not only allowing, but encouraging, remote work. Some companies don't even have an office space. Part of the reason OCT lacks diversity is because it hires only local candidates, and Utah is one of the least diverse states. Finally, the pay could be better, but the company is very, very generous with bonuses.

5 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Very Good Work Environment

Sep 7, 2019 - Associate Software Engineer in Hyderābād
    Business Outlook

Pros

OC Tanner is great place to work. Will get good opportunities to learn and work on new technologies. It has very good work life balance. Company provides good benefits and recognition to employees.

Cons

Not found as of now.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 29 Reviews