O'Keeffe & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Stephen O'keeffe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Place to Start Career"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time

Pros

Opportunities to grow and build your own career

Cons

limited corporate structure to help guide you

2. "Great for starting career, not for long-term"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Alexandria, VA

I worked at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You do get to work from home on Fridays after six months of employment. Some of the teams are excellent to work on and it's easy to cultivate work friendships, which does make the frequent long work hours more bearable. Great place to get your foot in the door for PR and marketing. There's a lot of opportunity to run your own projects for major clients.

Cons

Micro-management is in full bloom at the company. Some of it is completely understandable. Other times it's a bit too much and too subjective. Pay doesn't always equal the amount of time you put into projects. Critique isn't always constructive depending on what team you join. People often work for 1-3 years at the company and then leave - everything and everyone is very transient.

Advice to Management

Train management how to run a team and act as a leader versus a boss.

"Disappointing - oversold the type of work they were doing"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Alexandria, VA

I worked at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Junior staff all had a great relationship; quick bonding over issues with management and company structure

Cons

- Quick turnaround and lack of support and development from upper management
    - Oversell daily tasks during interviews, most junior level staff end up being glorified cold callers
    - Disappointing client roster
    - Company culture isn't diverse, very conservative

Advice to Management

Put more effort into developing your staff and not just replacing staff after they burn out/check out after 6 months

4. "Fast-paced Environment Ideal for Growth and Development"

I worked at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* No making copies or getting coffee - all levels of employees have the opportunity to make a positive contribution to client projects immediately
    * Ability to advance quickly - you put the work in, you gain responsibility
    * Work with the best and brightest in the industry
    * Projects are always varied and interesting - you'll never be bored
    * Great benefits package, neat location, and collaborative office environment

Cons

As with any agency, there are sometimes long hours when you have a deadline to meet, but your coworkers always make it enjoyable.

"A great place to launch a career in communications/media relations"

I worked at O'Keeffe & Company full-time

Pros

Very professional
    Very friendly co-workers, really fun place to work
    Good opportunities for advancement if you have talent and work hard
    Interesting work opportunities across media relations, marketing, events, research

Cons

Pay is not great compared to big consulting firms
    Advancement can be slow
    There is a tendency to emphasize quantity rather than quality of work

Advice to Management

Appreciate what you've done over the past few years to try to retain employees

6. "Great Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you’re looking to learn how to execute PR and marketing programs the right way, this is the place for you. I’ve been here well over two years and have seen firsthand how to properly execute PR, Marketing, and Advertising campaigns from start to finish. I’ve really had a great experience - been given a lot of responsibility, and have had excellent resources help me develop along the way. The managers are great – you can really learn a lot from them. I truly learn something new every day. But, I would say the best thing is that I actually feel valuable, that my ideas are heard – which can be hard when first starting off in your career. Definitely a great place to work if interested in PR or Marketing.

Cons

Given the industry, hours can be a bit long leading up to events or client deadlines.

7. "Intern"

Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice atmosphere, friendly managing directors and staff attorneys.

Cons

The training, experience and hands on assignments are excellent. Thank you!

Advice to Management

None - Everything is wonderful

8. "Perfect Place for Recent Grads"

Pros

Coming right out of school, O’Keeffe & Company is a great place to start your career. You receive excellent training from experienced managers, and are quickly given responsibility over various accounts. Senior managers value your contributions and encourage face-time with clients early on to not only help with your professional growth, but also to put you on career path within the company. As you start off, you are given the opportunity to work across the agency and try different areas of communications. In doing so, you are able to quickly figure out your strengths and further develop your skills. Steve and the rest of the senior staff encourage you to find out what it is you most enjoy doing, and make every effort to find the best fit for you within the organization so you can continue to grow and develop as a communications professional.

Cons

Because of the dynamic nature of the field, the hours can sometimes be long. However, the company strongly encourages collaboration, so even if something is particularly time-consuming or challenging, you never feel like you are left out on your own.

Advice to Management

My personal experience with my manager has been excellent. My manager always encourages me to contribute and makes me feel like a valued member of the team.

9. "Great Place to Grow Your Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started at O'Keeffe & Company straight out of college, hoping to gain skills in PR and marketing and map out my career path. I got to do exactly that -- and more. It is the perfect place to start out your career because you get to learn about a variety of areas -- PR, event planning, marketing, research, advertising -- you name it. It's perfect for someone looking to learn quickly, put your skills into practice, and gain responsibility. On top of that, they do a great job of helping you map out your career path and focus on your personal growth throughout the company. You can always talk to your manager and figure out what you can do to move forward in the organization. Not to mention, there is a great work culture with a crew of fun, creative, work hard/play hard co-workers.

Cons

By the very nature of PR and marketing, you may need to work long hours at times. But I've found that this is the case anywhere in this field.

Advice to Management

My personal experience with my manager has been excellent -- definitely continue the great review and feedback process.

"Worst experience ever"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Alexandria, VA

I worked at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience; young colleagues who mostly get along; some accounts are interesting and fun (although very few as most are extremely exhausting -- see cons).

Cons

Long, very long days; no work/life balance at all; expect to be overworked and underpaid (less than $35K with NO overtime and working 50 hour weeks; they take advantage of the recent grads with no work experience who don't know any better when it comes to the way life at work is supposed to be; no sense of security as someone is let go almost every week (the staff jokes about the many "best wishes to..." emails received on a weekly basis); annual performance reviews are only during September and as such, if you are hired at the beginning of the year, you will not be eligible for a raise until the following September (at that point you are there for a lot over a year -- almost 2 years depending on when you are hired); most of management work remotely so there is rarely a chance to meet face-to-face, leading to very awkward working relationships. The CEO may seem nice at first, but his true colors will come out soon enough. I've worked in other companies and this is -- by far -- the worst places EVER. I truly feel terrible for anyone who is there now and I'm glad I left as soon as I found a job elsewhere. Best decision I've ever made.

Advice to Management

Take the time to get to know your employees; do yearly reviews for each employee depending on when they are hired -- it's a lot more fair that way.