O'Keeffe & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stephen O'keeffe

1. "Great Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you’re looking to learn how to execute PR and marketing programs the right way, this is the place for you. I’ve been here well over two years and have seen firsthand how to properly execute PR, Marketing, and Advertising campaigns from start to finish. I’ve really had a great experience - been given a lot of responsibility, and have had excellent resources help me develop along the way. The managers are great – you can really learn a lot from them. I truly learn something new every day. But, I would say the best thing is that I actually feel valuable, that my ideas are heard – which can be hard when first starting off in your career. Definitely a great place to work if interested in PR or Marketing.

Cons

Given the industry, hours can be a bit long leading up to events or client deadlines.

2. "Good Place to Start Career"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time

Pros

Opportunities to grow and build your own career

Cons

limited corporate structure to help guide you

"Disappointing - oversold the type of work they were doing"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Alexandria, VA

I worked at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Junior staff all had a great relationship; quick bonding over issues with management and company structure

Cons

- Quick turnaround and lack of support and development from upper management
    - Oversell daily tasks during interviews, most junior level staff end up being glorified cold callers
    - Disappointing client roster
    - Company culture isn't diverse, very conservative

Advice to Management

Put more effort into developing your staff and not just replacing staff after they burn out/check out after 6 months

5. "Intern"

Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice atmosphere, friendly managing directors and staff attorneys.

Cons

The training, experience and hands on assignments are excellent. Thank you!

Advice to Management

None - Everything is wonderful

6. "Great Place to Grow Your Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started at O'Keeffe & Company straight out of college, hoping to gain skills in PR and marketing and map out my career path. I got to do exactly that -- and more. It is the perfect place to start out your career because you get to learn about a variety of areas -- PR, event planning, marketing, research, advertising -- you name it. It's perfect for someone looking to learn quickly, put your skills into practice, and gain responsibility. On top of that, they do a great job of helping you map out your career path and focus on your personal growth throughout the company. You can always talk to your manager and figure out what you can do to move forward in the organization. Not to mention, there is a great work culture with a crew of fun, creative, work hard/play hard co-workers.

Cons

By the very nature of PR and marketing, you may need to work long hours at times. But I've found that this is the case anywhere in this field.

Advice to Management

My personal experience with my manager has been excellent -- definitely continue the great review and feedback process.

"Worst experience ever"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Alexandria, VA

I worked at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience; young colleagues who mostly get along; some accounts are interesting and fun (although very few as most are extremely exhausting -- see cons).

Cons

Long, very long days; no work/life balance at all; expect to be overworked and underpaid (less than $35K with NO overtime and working 50 hour weeks; they take advantage of the recent grads with no work experience who don't know any better when it comes to the way life at work is supposed to be; no sense of security as someone is let go almost every week (the staff jokes about the many "best wishes to..." emails received on a weekly basis); annual performance reviews are only during September and as such, if you are hired at the beginning of the year, you will not be eligible for a raise until the following September (at that point you are there for a lot over a year -- almost 2 years depending on when you are hired); most of management work remotely so there is rarely a chance to meet face-to-face, leading to very awkward working relationships. The CEO may seem nice at first, but his true colors will come out soon enough. I've worked in other companies and this is -- by far -- the worst places EVER. I truly feel terrible for anyone who is there now and I'm glad I left as soon as I found a job elsewhere. Best decision I've ever made.

Advice to Management

Take the time to get to know your employees; do yearly reviews for each employee depending on when they are hired -- it's a lot more fair that way.

"Gain experience quickly; hard work pays off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative environment with smart and talented employees; Opportunity to advance quickly if you are willing to put in the time and the work; Chance to try out various aspects of the PR/Marketing/Advertising world simultaneously, which you don't necessarily get at a larger firm; Great office location with parking/metro stipend

Cons

Will full plates and client demands, you will rarely have a 40 hour work week here - work/life balance can be tough. You also have to be willing to put in the hard work knowing you won't get a lot of personal recognition.

Advice to Management

Offer more training for managers as well as professional development opportunities for junior staff. Consider alternate ways to show gratitude for hard working employees if/when bonuses aren't possible (i.e., an extra holiday such as the day after Thanksgiving, day after July 4th, etc.)

9. "Came For One Year And Stayed For 10"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good talent and hard work pays off quickly. Top-tier client roster. Interesting, challenging projects. Work done the right way. A lot of responsibility early on. Chance to shape both the client deliverables and the organization itself.

Cons

Longer hours are expected. Some work is cool and glamorous, some is not. No place to hide - your contibution or lack of contribution is very visible. Managers are still learning how to be really effective managers as opposed to just really good doers.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in training and infrastructure. Good changes in the last two years, but continuing to help staff transition successfully to management and then to senior management is going to be key.

10. "Great opportunities -- perfect to get your foot in the door"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Alexandria, VA

Pros

O'Keeffe & Company is a great place to get your foot in the door. They do a great job of training you in PR/marketing and giving you real hands-on opportunities. I was given a lot of responsibility early on which allowed me to grow really quickly. If you are looking to get a range of experiences and really expand your skill set, this is the place to go.

Cons

Certain clients and projects require a lot of time and effort. Some weeks l found myself working really long hours and working on some very demanding projects.

Advice to Management

Personally, my manager was supportive of my growth at O'Keeffe & Company. I would suggest continuing thorough staff reviews to be sure everyone's on the same page with regards to expectations and evaluations.

11. "Still here and going strong after 5 years - I've worked hard and have been recognized for it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

I enjoy my job because of the people here and the challenging projects that cross my desk every day. I work hard and I feel that my manager and my teammates recognize that. If you put in the effort, you definitely get rewarded with promotions and bonuses.

Cons

It's definitely not 9-5. Like pretty much any agency, the schedule can be unpredictable and is largely based on clients' needs and deadlines. You'll need to plan to put in weekend time and then some.

Advice to Management

I'd like to receive a little more ad-hoc feedback, not limit the big discussions on performance for just during reviews