O'Reilly Auto Parts Reviews | Glassdoor

O'Reilly Auto Parts CEO Greg Henslee
Greg Henslee

1,384 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Get a very decent employee discount (in 89 reviews)

• You learn a lot and you get to meet all kinds of people every day (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • They will hire nothing but part time employees then work them full time hours (in 58 reviews)

• Upper management is all talk no action (in 54 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I plan on sticking around until I retire...40-50 years down the line."

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Springfield, MO

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been here for 4 years as a Software Developer. I started as an intern and was hired on full time after I graduated and learned more through my internship and job than I ever did at the university.

My managers have always been wonderful. They are supportive in my career goals, constantly asking what they can do better to make my job here more desirable, and always lend a listening ear.

Anytime I offer up an idea for improving the way we do things, I know that it will be heard and taken seriously. I've seen drastic changes through the way the teams work together to get things done that are a direct result of team members stepping up and asking for change to better the company and the way we do things.

There's no greater reward than seeing the impact that we have on our team members and our customers. The ability to build tools to make a team member's job easier is a fantastic challenge and one that is always met with feedback and a sense of accomplishment.

Cons

The company is growing rapidly, especially at the corporate office. Things get a little tight around here, but they are activity expanding the building to make more room for our growing departments. I don't mind having a space issue if it means the company I am working for is expanding rapidly due to success.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your team members and be supportive of their ideas and aspirations in their careers. The more you empower your team members to step up and offer ideas, the larger the idea pool becomes. The larger the idea pool the better the chance of coming up with the most effective approaches to solving problems.

"Treated like garbage"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Sundays off (unless you don't have enough key carriers and then you get to work that day too). Uniform discount. Employee discount.

Cons

If you want to be told daily that you are garbage even when you are pulling double digit comp increases, then O'Reilly is the place for you! District and Regional management wants to constantly remind you that you need to think and act like a "business owner" except when thinking like a business owner interfers with their own way of thinking. Their idea of being a business owner is working 14 to 16 hour days 6 to 7 days a week to keep your payroll down so that their bonus or "Entitlement" isnt hampered in any way. But if you need to talk to a DM or RM after 5pm or on the weekends, call their cell's, im sure you will find them at home enjoying their family and their fat pay checks.

This is not a nice place to work, do not be fooled with the "You can make as much money with us that you want" or the "We promote from within" bull lines. Your pay is determined on a tedious daily audit, 1% of GP and 1% of controlables. The problem is that O'Reilly has such a hard on to have more stores than Zone or Advance, that they open stores within miles of each other and this limits the amount of money each store can make, hence it limits the amount of money each store manager can make. They also will not promote an ASM to a GM spot since they only want to do "Strategic Hires" for GM's of new stores, in other words, they want to hire Zone or NAPA managers who can steal their exisiting customers away to the big O.

The regional management staff likes to remind you how much smarter, better, and greater they are than you. The "Good Old Boy" policy is in effect in a big way at O'Reilly. The more back side you kiss, the better you chance of advancement. Be prepared to pick up your family and move to another state!

Their "Culture" that they brag about daily is a huge lie. The only thing that matters to O'Reilly is the bottom line. They don't care how fast they burn you out. They want their money and you better not stand in the way of getting it.

Advice to Management

Treat your people like people, not like drones.

3. "Unfair"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Being able to sell auto parts

Cons

The company is cheap and buys up smaller autoparts companies and then slashes all the store managers and district managers that have been at that company and puts in place low paid workers to fill the spots.

Advice to Management

They wont pay you any kind of a good salary...your low base pay is only increased by store sales... good luck in a down economy... I met some of their store managers that were only bringing in 25 grand a year

4. "It is the worst job I ever had."

Current Employee - Stocker in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Stocker in Houston, TX

Pros

Discounts on auto parts and weekends off.

Cons

Everything else from pay to vacation time

Advice to Management

Respect your employes

5. "It doesn't matter how hard you work or try to accomplish things, it's never enough."

Current Employee - Merchandise Specialist in Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Merchandise Specialist in Joplin, MO

Pros

I enjoy working at O'reilly Auto parts because it allows me to work with a wide variety of people in the public and I get great satisfaction knowing that my customer service has helped and made a difference in someones day.

Cons

The fact that I have a job title but I am expected to do everything in the store short of working a break lathe and in the machine shop. We are short staffed because corporate wants more profit than customer satisfaction.

Advice to Management

My manager has no control over the staff. He lacks communication and often reprimands you in front of the customers. The over all attitude of the team is negative in result to the managers mood.

"Too Old School"

Current Employee - Analyst in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Springfield, MO

Pros

The job security there is good becuase they never fire anyone. And the benefits are okay, excluding vacation time.

Cons

It isn't a place to work if you have a college eduction. All promotions are given out based on who has been there the longest, and they don't value things like a formal education. Salary is not competiitive and vacation time is a joke. Salaried employees get one week of vacation for their first two years of employment.

Advice to Management

Look for talent in younger employees, not just people who have been there the longest. Also, be more flexible with vacation time and employee time off.

"Not all that great!"

Current Employee - Parts Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Parts Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

People, having a job and the discount off of parts.

Cons

Pay is horrible, raises is nothing to none!

Advice to Management

Better pay/ raises would make your employees work harder!

"O;reilly does not care about Employees"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Decent employee discount, availability of parts locally is very good. The company itself has a very strong stock so you know they will be around.

Cons

I worked for Csk for 11 years prior to the buyout, and they wanted to drop my pay by 11,000 a year, The Human resource department is a joke. They expect the area managers and regional mangers to handle all of the issues that would usually go to a human resource specialist, when you skip this step and call H.R. directly you get nothing but attitude. I had employees that had work restrictions and they would not accommodate any of these. Very long working hours, managers expected to work 60-70 hours a week. They don't care about having employees with automotive knowledge they want an employee who will work for 8.00 an hour and force people to buy what they don't need.

Advice to Management

Have local H.R. people to handle employee issues! Keep experienced workers I know it looks good on paper to get rid of a senior employee that is at the high end of the pay scale for a kid out of high school who will work for minimum wage but its a disservice to customers. The biggest thing is take care of your employees! I hear from long time o'reilly managers from core O'reilly stores that don't have these issue. I trully think you need to lose all of the CSK regional and district managers and bring in O'reilly people.

9. "Great job if you live with your parents."

Current Employee - Driver Specialist in Rosenberg, TX
    Current Employee - Driver Specialist in Rosenberg, TX

Pros

Plenty of low end employment opportunities, and a safe place to work.

Cons

Upper management engages in micromanaging employees, and shows favoritism to certain employees, even to the detriment of the company.

Advice to Management

Management should audit their District Managers more carefully as to avoid civil action against wrongfully terminated employees.

10. "Should hire people as temps"

Former Employee - Retail Service Specialist in York, SC
    Former Employee - Retail Service Specialist in York, SC

Pros

You can gain knowledge in the automotive feild and gain contacts.

Cons

Will never treat you as part of the team. praise is rarely given and discontent runs rampant

Advice to Management

Treat others as you wish to be treated and keep people longer than a year

Showing 1,384 of 1,394 reviews