O'Reilly Auto Parts Reviews | Glassdoor

Greg Henslee

1,356 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They will hire nothing but part time employees then work them full time hours (in 56 reviews)

• Salary team members work long hours a week often 50-60 hrs & don't get paid a penny more because they are salary (in 53 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I plan on sticking around until I retire...40-50 years down the line."

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Springfield, MO

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been here for 4 years as a Software Developer. I started as an intern and was hired on full time after I graduated and learned more through my internship and job than I ever did at the university.

My managers have always been wonderful. They are supportive in my career goals, constantly asking what they can do better to make my job here more desirable, and always lend a listening ear.

Anytime I offer up an idea for improving the way we do things, I know that it will be heard and taken seriously. I've seen drastic changes through the way the teams work together to get things done that are a direct result of team members stepping up and asking for change to better the company and the way we do things.

There's no greater reward than seeing the impact that we have on our team members and our customers. The ability to build tools to make a team member's job easier is a fantastic challenge and one that is always met with feedback and a sense of accomplishment.

Cons

The company is growing rapidly, especially at the corporate office. Things get a little tight around here, but they are activity expanding the building to make more room for our growing departments. I don't mind having a space issue if it means the company I am working for is expanding rapidly due to success.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your team members and be supportive of their ideas and aspirations in their careers. The more you empower your team members to step up and offer ideas, the larger the idea pool becomes. The larger the idea pool the better the chance of coming up with the most effective approaches to solving problems.

2. "As a female, I honestly loved my job at O'reillys"

Former Employee - Retail Service Specialist in Del City, OK
    Former Employee - Retail Service Specialist in Del City, OK

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Set schedule, great coworkers and customers, easy and laid back job. When I started I'll be honest I knew nothing about cars or parts but I learned and in 3 years I made myself one of the top salespeople. I had many customers who enjoyed dealing with me. I was told and heard many of times that I was the only one who knew anything.

Cons

I loved my customers but some of them can be hard to deal with! There were times where we lost a few employees and had to struggle and work extra over time until upper management would finally let us hire people.

Advice to Management

Stop promising people the possibilities for movement up when really you just drag it along until they give up, or if you don't feel they are capable anymore just tell them! Also give better raises or actually pay what should be paid for that position to begin with.

"Great company but does have a salary ceiling"

Current Employee - Installer Service Specialist in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Installer Service Specialist in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High volume sales and great team atmosphere excellent benefits and 401k match stock plan and vacation personal and sick pay

Cons

The salary threshold is lower than a single income living wage in my area. Can't afford an apartment without more money.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees well for excellence in their output. Money is why we work

4. "Professional Parts"

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts part-time

Pros

Really nice people to work with

Cons

The store was never really busy

5. "Asst. Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union, SC

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoy working with people, Have always loved this, Great Discounts

Cons

Believe that we could use a few more people working afternoons

Advice to Management

Understand that the phones call's help's bring people into the store but when you have a lobby full of people we need to wait on them.

6. "Retail service specialist"

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Moving up is like trying to climb out of a muddy crumbling pit 100 feet deep

Advice to Management

Pay your quality employees more and offer them more opportunities

7. "My Manager Is Terrible"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Decatur, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Decatur, GA

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a lot about cars and how to fix them.

Cons

Work atmosphere differs from store to store, and some managers a much worse than others. The company says they like to promote from within, but I have seen a lot of people hired on into managerial roles.

Advice to Management

Actually train your managers. Some have zero experience with working with subordinates and it shows.

8. "Cashier"

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts part-time

Pros

There isnt any pros of working there

Cons

Long hrs standing up,terrible customers coming in

Advice to Management

Undercover boss asap

9. "A good student job"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Specialist

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture and values statements are in line with family values. A positive environment is encouraged, and customer service highly valued.

Cons

They haven't clarified which sales and operations metrics are most important. The metrics they choose to drive for in any given month often don't support the strategic direction of the company.

Advice to Management

Review how selecting performance metrics affects achieving the company's operational and financial goals. Avoid selecting metrics that would encourage certain people to act unethically in order to meet metrics. And discipline unethical business practices quickly and appropriately.

10. "Merchandiser/Parts Specialist"

Current Employee - Merchandiser/Parts Specialist in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser/Parts Specialist in Augusta, GA

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hours, Benefits. Company is great to work for. Depends on the store you choose that part is scary.

Cons

No teamwork, Expected to do others job but get no help when you need it. To many young people who play on their cell phones and stand around doing nothing. Management promotes slackers instead of hard workers. No structure. My store alone has had 3 thieves who were promoted from part time to management. Pay is the worst. Not at all competitive pay. All other competitors pay more.

Advice to Management

Promote dedicated hard workers who deserve it not your buddys. Pay more attention to who you promote to run your store when you aren't there. Treat your store like it's yours and take care of your investment.

Showing 1,356 of 1,367 reviews