O'Reilly Media Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
O'Reilly Media CEO Tim OReilly
Tim OReilly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • O'Reilly Media truly understands the meaning of flexible working and realise the importance of a work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Work from home (if that's your thing) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management frequently undermine decisions made further down the chain (in 7 reviews)

• Weak and uninspiring "yes-men" in senior management (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Imagine Working for a Company that Values Your Unique Talents and Gifts"

Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Sebastopol, CA
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Sebastopol, CA

I have been working at O'Reilly Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with this company for about 17 years and I can honestly say that it has completely transformed my life. I never dreamed that I would have the opportunities and career I have today. The leadership at O'Reilly is awesome. They really do care about each one of us here. They were able to see my potential and helped me develop into the person I am today, into the exciting and challenging career I have today. They gave me opportunities that allowed me to travel to places I had never been all over the U.S. This career helped provide every material thing I needed to raise my two kids. It gave me the funds and experience I needed to do all of the things I'm passionate about. I could go on and on. The bottom line is that I am deeply grateful to this company, to this company's leadership (especially Tim O'Reilly, Laura Baldwin, and my former VP Mark Jacobsen), and to all of the many other mentors and friends I have here. There is no place that I would rather be.

Cons

I'm sure there are some things. No company is perfect, but I really can't think of anything worth reporting here.

Advice to Management

Stay creative and continue building on this great company! Keep believing in us. Keep giving us great opportunities.

2. "Very good employer, very good company"

I have been working at O'Reilly Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked with Safari and then O'Reilly for more than 10 years. I've seen a lot of changes during my time here, and I am very happy with the current track O'Reilly is currently on. O'Reilly Media is the sort of company I would want to work at - if I wasn't already here.

Management works very hard to follow Tim O'Reilly's vision and view of the technical world. The company has a good standard to continue to strive to improve themselves.

Right now there is a shift in focus to the Safari Books platform as their main 'product.' I think this is a great call. and will allow O'Reilly Media to survive the changes in the publishing landscape. When they see what they are doing is not quite right, they are willing to make the changes necessary to continue to survive and grow in the current business climate.

The benefits package is outstanding, including health benefits and a generous PTO/Sick time policy.

Cons

Is O'Reilly Media perfect? No. Do they have some areas to work on? Yes. Sometimes it can feel like upper management is a bit out of close touch with those lower in the organization, and communication can be better. Some decisions seem to be a result of some internal politics rather than rational clear decisions.

Because a lot of people really enjoy working here and do not leave, sometimes career advancement can be difficult and take along time.

But these areas of growth do not detract from O'Reilly is an excellent place to work. I am sure you'd find these (and worse) "cons" at other companies of similar size and age.

Advice to Management

Keep working to improve communication with the entire organization. Keep making adjustments as the conditions in the business condition change. Also, keep the focus on growing O'Reilly to the next stage of its development.

"Wonderful company"

I have been working at O'Reilly Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

O'Reilly Media puts a huge emphasis on taking care of employees. O'Reilly Media is not afraid to change with the times, and trains its employees rather than swapping them out. This creates an exciting, invigorating atmosphere where boredom is never a problem. The benefits are amazing.

Cons

The only "con" is that salaries at O'Reilly tend not to be competitive. However, if working with amazing people, learning constantly and forming ties to everyone in the industry is important to you, then this is the place to work.

Advice to Management

I find the current management in sync with the times. They are doing an excellent job of keeping O'Reilly relevant for now and into the future.

"Powerful group of driven, welcoming, diverse people"

Current Employee - Mobile Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Mobile Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at O'Reilly Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company embraces an asynchronous work culture (to a point) which empowers remote employees to get stuff done without missing out on inter-office decisions. There's a strong commitment to hiring a diverse and experienced workforce, and our decision-making and end results are better for it. Employees at all ends of the organization exhibit a great work-life balance, too.

Cons

Sometimes work gets a bit process-heavy, but I think it's largely in an effort to get divisions and teams working on the same page. Teams are a little siloed at times when they need to be working together on the same projects.

"Really exciting times at O'Reilly, esp in Boston"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at O'Reilly Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company going through a lot of positive adjustments today and it's really exciting to be a part of the new ORM team! There's a very unique set of smart, driven, collaborative people in product, engineering, and design working on the Safari learning platform. The e-learning space is also a thriving industry. Great opportunity to contribute to the next generation of a company with a strong brand and market reach.

Cons

Some gaps in process and portfolio management, but this is being improved already.

Advice to Management

You hired a great team that is going to have an impact to transform this company for the next generation.

6. "Generally good place to do technical work"

I worked at O'Reilly Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent technical team — very competent, very collaborative
    Forward looking technical direction
    Gives some freedom for engineers to explore and try things out
    Overall company strategy seems sensible

Cons

Company-wide communication is frequently unclear
    Management can seem very aloof
    While broad strategy is sound, execution can be hard to understand
    Organizational structure is very strange
    Upper management frequently undermine decisions made further down the chain
    (Note: not rating Tim O'Reilly as CEO as he isn't running the company day-to-day)

Advice to Management

Communicate more clearly
    Rationalize org structure (remove vestiges of pre-merge organization)
    Trust employees to make decisions (this isn't a problem at the tech team level)
    Resist urge to micromanage

7. "Good work-life balance"

Pros

The employees are awesome and is a pleasure to work here

Cons

Not a very high tech place

8. "Looking forward to every day at O'Reilly"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at O'Reilly Media full-time

Pros

Learning culture is evident at all levels across the company
    Work/life balance is great
    Private and fiscally responsible company
    Just the right size company
    HQ facilities are impressive and are located in a fun, quirky town.

Cons

HQ is a bit of a drive from the City.

Advice to Management

The future looks bright.

9. "E-learning space growth"

I have been working at O'Reilly Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meaningful work
    Smart team
    Competitive Compensation
    Good benefits

Cons

Distributed Teams
    Downtown xsing location

10. "Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at O'Reilly Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at O'Reilly (previously Safari), has been the best experience I could as for in my career. I've had the opportunity to see two great companies merge into one. We have evolved and maintained our leadership and quality to the industry, through it all. Open communication environments, working on projects, planning & replanning our approach, and sharing ideas / training with peers, is what I find the most valuable at O'Reilly. It's been a great ~8 years! We also have the latest tools and intelligence to make doing what we do even more effective.

Cons

Working remotely can be lonely at times, but overall still a perk & time save.

Advice to Management

Let's go public?