OANDA Reviews in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edmond Eger III

Pros
Cons
  • Employees who actually get meaningful work done and try to help the business are mostly lower level/lower paid (in 2 reviews)

1. "Awesome Culture, Great People, Impactful Work"

Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and try new things.
    Meaningful projects and work.
    Great company culture.
    Friendly people.
    Lots of autonomy in your work.
    Peer to peer code review.

Cons

Lots of old standards and compliance requirements to meet.

2. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company does care about its people. Makes effort in recognition and compensation. Doesn't always get it right but they do try at least. I think management does listen to feedback.

Work life balance is respected. However, that does not mean you can just coast by. While there is a very relax atmosphere, don't be fooled because everyone works hard and produces good work. Your peers keep you honest.

Very smart people around.

Cons

The company is growing and can feel a stretched at times having to cover so much.

3. "Great job & people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

awesome people. common goals

Cons

still a job. I wish I didn't have to work.

5. "Growing in leaps and bounds"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA (More than 3 years)

Pros

OANDA has passionate and innovative teams who are committed to delivering customer value. People are super smart. Our CEO is totally accessible to staff and promotes open communication. He wants to know "what's on your mind?" I enjoy coming to work everyday. I feel I have a voice, add value and influence decisions. I've been given opportunity to learn, gain new skills and take on new projects. The atmosphere is casual and there's good work/life balance.

Cons

Corporate culture takes time to change so there have been growing pains as OANDA has moved out of the "start up" mentality. Priorities can shift quickly. Communication across the regions with the time zones is challenging.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the brand. Continue to invest in your people.

6. "Highly Recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Great people with some of the most intelligent, talented and praise worthy members. Customer focus is the best I've known so far.

Cons

Too much underutilized working space.

"Excellent Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting company to work for. The Organization is a learning Organization. Team members are always will to help each other. Entire Management team is open and approachable. People are encouraged to take a risk and to be innovative. Very relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. People are happy to come into the office. Excellent exposure to variety of people and technologies. You are challenged to think "outside of the box". A company where you can talk to the CEO, CFO, CMO or any Exec.

Cons

Sometimes too much of an Open Concept. If you are looking for your own office or a dedicated private office. This is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Maintain the"Grit". Keep on being approachable and Open.

"Lots of shifts, lack of strategy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Good people, strong technologies, people with vision

Cons

Lack of leadership, short attention span, shifts in strategy

Advice to Management

You're hiring some top leadership based on past experiences in Forex, which is good, however, if the experience was with a largely failed broker you won't have success to leverage, but failure.

"recently....disappointing!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was once a cool, fun place to work.

Cons

This was once a cool, fun place to work. But lately its suffering from:
    - confused management
    - lack of direction
    - abysmal perks

"Great people, tech focused"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

OANDA is an organization full of very talented and intelligent people. As we like to say, "we are a tech company who happens to be in the Forex space." The company uses a diverse set of tools and technologies and no matter your speciality there is a place for you: backend trading systems where performance and reliability is critical, industry leading mobile trading, and cutting edge web experience. You can gain a great deal of technical expertise at OANDA, especially if you move around from team to team (for which the company is very accommodating).

Work place is very laid back and fun. No cubicles and you can walk up and talk to anyone. Quarterly hackathons are a plus where you can try out your own ideas and build it. Pay and benefits are average.

Management has a clear direction of where they want to take the company and are working hard to execute. Management's communication is forthright, honest and down to earth.

Cons

OANDA has and continues to be challenged by a commitment to software excellence. While we like to tout that we are building best in class software, in reality many corners are cut and basic industry practices are still not followed on a regular basis. While I am not a purist and realize that this is the reality in any human endeavour, the cultural acceptance of substandard practices is alarming. While things are improving somewhat there is still a reticence by both management and engineering to tackle the problem head on.

Advice to Management

OANDA's comparative advantages are both its brand and ability to execute. While client and geographic growth continues to be very important, don't neglect the quality of our people and processes. Customer value and our bottom line ultimately depends on being better than the competition and we can't lose sight of the fact that we must constantly innovate: both in novel technology additions but also in people and practices.

"Very positive as a new employee. OANDA is a progressive company with some very strong talent."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

As a new employee there is a lot of encouragement to put your own view on things. As I learn the business I am impressed by the passion of our leadership team and the ingenuity of our people.

Cons

There appears to be an need to increase communication across teams. Also, recognition and development for long term, vested employees is an opportunity.