OC Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Craig Freeman

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Management in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at OC Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've had the benefit of working with OCC for years before I worked for OCC. Since I came on 6 years ago I have been able to see so much growth within the company. We have expanded to additional cities and states, they've launched new training and safety classes for the technicians, putting a lot of emphasis on reaching goals for the techs and company alike. You must be willing to work hard and be adaptable to change, the cable industry is always launching something new so if your always learning about new products or processes.

Cons

Most employees work the weekends and a lot don't like that, especially in football season... there have been improvements made with that and there is an alternating schedule so you don't work every Sunday.

Advice to Management

discount on our cable bills from comcast

"Excellent company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Accountant in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Payroll Accountant in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at OC Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

OCC has been my home for over 13 years. The environment is very positive and has a family feel to it. Everyone is supportive of one another. OCC has very generous benefits that the company takes a lot of time and consideration while putting the benefit plans together each year. Working here has been very rewarding and has given me opportunities to not only learn, but to also advance in my position. Hard work here really pays off.

Cons

Nothing to report. If you enjoy working, and love to work hard, you will enjoy working for OCC!

3. "Big business enviroment"

Current Employee - Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at OC Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constantly growing environment with room to grow. On the cutting edge of the communication field. Empowers free thinking and critical thinking skills.

Cons

Any position with in the organization requires a strong mind and firm commitment to the task at hand. Must be willing to put in the hours to make a difference.

5. "Installer"

Former Employee - Installation/Sales in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Installation/Sales in Sacramento, CA

I worked at OC Communications (Less than a year)

Pros

On your own through the whole day after training.

Cons

You don't get help most of the time if you get stuck, because theyre all on jobs as well. Also, you have to pay for your own gas until the they reimburse you.

Advice to Management

Provide gas cards

Sep 15, 2016 – Communications Coordinator

Thank you for telling us about your experience working at O.C. Communications. We value all feedback as it helps us in becoming a better company. We recently launched our new Wire-To-Wire ... More

6. "Technician"

Former Employee - Technician in Pompano Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Technician in Pompano Beach, FL

I worked at OC Communications full-time

Pros

Learn how to use people.

Cons

Get used yourself to learn what you needed to learn.

Advice to Management

They already know what's inevitable.

Nov 1, 2016 – Communications Coordinator

Thanks for reviewing O.C. Communications! We are sorry to hear about your experience with the company. I'd love to hear more so that we may better our business for our technicians. Please feel free ... More

"My review"

Current Employee - Cable Technician in Petaluma, CA
    Current Employee - Cable Technician in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at OC Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will be kept VERY busy.

Cons

Too busy. Long hours. 6 days a week.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Try not to burn them out.

"..A stepping stone.."

Former Employee - Residential Technician in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Technician in Stockton, CA

Pros

You learn a trade and gain experience that can be used to "get your foot in the door" at a "career type company".

Cons

Day 1 you'll sign a release to change your hours worked, rate of compinsation, job duties, title and responsibilities with or without notice at the companies sole discretion. The policies regarding the pay system are no where to be found, not even in the employee handbook. The piece rate fluctuates to project the company's losses on to the employee's. The average tech makes 10-11$/hr and stays 3-6 months.

Your portion of the employee trust fund is worth 105$ for every year you are employed, up to 5 years. The employee fund is in debt to the freeman investment firm (the owner) 3.5million from a loan 12 years ago in which the freeman fund collects 75k$ every 3 months in interest from that loan and none goes towards the principle. If the employee fund repays the loan, it would have a negative balance, making your retirement worth essentially nothing. The chairman of the employee fund is Craig Freeman (the owner of the company & the owner of the Freeman investment firm)

There is a line that will be crossed if you call in sick. After my first 6 months of employment I used a pto day. The manager had his goons show up at my house banging on my door at 8am threatening my job. I've never in my life experienced such behavior from an employer. Keep in mind, this was the first time I ever called in. After 2 years of this insanity I found a better job at AT&T.

Advice to Management

Disproportionate capitalism where the friends and relatives become managers, and the hard workers become takin advantage of. Your success should be measured by the successes of the people who work under you. Learn and incorporate values, that are derived from ethics and compassion, into your policy's. Then, and only then, can morality be reached. (And stop posting fake positive reviews)

Sep 8, 2016 – Communications Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience with O.C. Communications. We are committed to creating a comfortable and friendly environment for all of our employees, so I am disappointed ... More

"Changing for the better"

Current Employee - Cable Installer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Cable Installer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at OC Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay can be good if your fast and know what your doing

Cons

Pay can be bad if your slow and don't know what your doing

Advice to Management

Pay a little better and give the techs bonus of they are good hard workers

"Real sense of community"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at OC Communications (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the sense of community at O.C. Communications. It is great to see individuals working together for a common goal every day. The company has a unique benefit of an ESOP program, which is cool. The fleet is incredibly clean and well maintained. It is nice to see a company which is dedicated to its presentation to the public.

Cons

None that I can think of

11. "Stable and Growing"

I have been working at OC Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked elsewhere and love that O.C. is financially stable. We've grown so much over the past few years it's crazy! Lots of opportunities. Lots of variety in the job; each day is different.

Cons

I drive a lot and have to drive defensively all the time.

Advice to Management

Thanks for being a good employer.