ODS International Reviews | Glassdoor

ODS International Reviews

2.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "ODS Technical Writer"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Houston, TX

I worked at ODS International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company was small, but workers were nice and surroundings were very nice. Management was great and fed us free lunches on Fridays. There was also an exercise room in the building.

Cons

The previous writer had not completed many manuals. I was the only technical writer lwdr ro create manuals quickly. The company was in decline due to a business situation caused by another company. The engineers all left ODS to work elsewhere and I had to work by Web with an dengineer in India.It was fun, but more difficult.

Advice to Management

Management should keep up their good work. ODS is a great place to work and the people are all friendly and helpful. Keep hiring the right people and best of luck to them in the future.

2. "Not the worst place I ever worked, but pretty darn close!"

Pros

You stay busy.

From what I read in another review, the Houston location is no longer running, so the people of Houston can rest easy knowing they can't accidentally get hired here.

Cons

Where to begin? This is not a stable job. They're completely dependent on whatever project they've landed. They'll hire lots of people to finish the project and then let them all go when the project is complete. I was only with the company for 6 months, yet I survived long enough to see 3 of these purges before I got out of my own choice.

They're distrustful of their employes and petty in their punishments, as witnessed by the fact they removed the Houston offices break room refrigerator after a single stolen lunch incident.

They demanded everybody work extra hours, yet refused to pay OT for positions that commonly receive OT at other companies. And not just a few hours OT, I'm talking dozens! The boss even had his office in front of the single entry/exit door, and watched people like a hawk to see who was leaving when.

Advice to Management

Find another line of work. Upper level management is clearly not your field.

3. "Sneaky back door Office Politics"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at ODS International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an earlier post stated. The Chosen location ODS operated in Houston Texas, is a great sky scraper building nestled close to it all, shopping dining, malls,etc. That is the only Pro

Cons

I was hired at ODS as a Data Analyst from a very Intelligent and talented Engineer who seen great potential in me, he was right. I studied Engineering and Physics extensively before landing this gig. Several months into my employment, I started meeting my co-workers, who in fact were scared and evasive and darn right bottled up. They were all so secretive and one girl actually told me if she teaches me her job then she would be out the door. They removed the refrigerator from the break room, and treated employee's like punishable children, and did I mention the scare tactics? Wow!

Advice to Management

ODS is no longer Operating In Houston Texas for 2 years now and the Owner is no longer. Glad someone stepped in perhaps to save all the hard work he has done previously. My advise to Management is to first of all hire someone knowledgeable in the field before you pay him large amounts of salary only to just sit in his comfortable BMW and polished starched shirts and talk a real good game he cant back up. I know for a fact that as a Data Analyst I knew more about Construction/Oil and gas then my Project Manager did. If you want to stay competitive in today's market you must hire someone who is not excessive with bossing people around and finding underdogs to do what you cant. I'm a Corporate Attorney now, no thanks to their Mentor ship!

"As a leadership professional - I would not recommend colleagues, friends, nor acquaintances to work at ODS"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at ODS International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are located in a great part of SW Portland and in a very nice office building. Their location is very convenient and in walking distance of many good restaurants, stores, post office, and other businesses that might prove useful in running errands or shopping during lunch time hours. If you enjoy challenges and a very fast paced environment, as I do, then you will enjoy this aspect of working for ODS.

Cons

I was convinced to accept a position, while being assured they have never had a workforce reduction in 30 years, and a stable and secure choice to leave my long time employer - an executive leadership position which allowed me the flexibility to work from home at my convenience. The salary negotiation process was uncomfortable and awkward, due to a misunderstanding made on the part of their HR department. In order to remain whole on my salary, several aspects of my compensation were dependent upon hitting my 1-year mark with the organization. As such, approximately 11 months into my tenure, I was included in a large workforce reduction. It was evident that I was a last minute addition and I was called by my Manager and advised there was a personnel issue with an employee in my department. I was asked to come meet my Manager in HR. As the Manager of that department, I would have known if there was a personnel issue with one of my employees, as I would have been the one to identify the issue for correction. At that point, I realized what was happening - made my way to HR a couple minutes later to find out I no longer had a job, and that I had left a stable leadership position for much greater responsibility and less pay, with the misconception of a role in a larger organization that would have greater promise of professional growth and career advancement. That day was my last day, complete with no severance.

Advice to Management

I found the particular area that I worked for to be over-committal and in turn my employees were extremely stressed and unhappy. I found a very large population of this organization to be overly stressed, unhappy, and many just had overall bad attitudes. This negative culture made it very difficult to connect with others through professional camaraderie, let alone make any connections on a personal level. I would recommend the organization committing to assertive goals that can be realistically accomplished and begin planning a transition in company culture that fosters collaboration, employee empowerment and appreciation. Although the employee survey results paint a much different picture, most of the employees were not truthful in fear that the survey was not truly anonymous, especially being a required survey.