OECD Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 17, 2019

3.8
OECD CEO Angel Gurría
Angel Gurría
Pros
  • "International organization with very smart people, learning opportunities and pleasant work environment(in 21 reviews)

• "excellentes conditions de travail, bonne ambiance(in 18 reviews)

1. "Meaningful work"

Former Employee - Intern

I worked at OECD full-time for less than a year

Pros

Substantive and meaningful work amazing staff who care about you

Cons

takes time to move things forward because of the bureaucracy

OECD2019-06-06

"Public Affairs and Communications Intern, Washington, D.C."

Former Employee - Communications Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at OECD full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a public affairs and communications intern at the OECD Washington Centre, you have the opportunity to make direct contributions in high-level settings as a team member of an organization with international influence. You gain valuable firsthand experience at the nexus of international politics and public policy, working alongside experienced and talented people who take a keen interest in helping you develop the... skills and confidence to pursue your professional goals. I benefited immensely from this engaging internship experience; it provided a strong foundation that helped me land my first job right after my college graduation. I would recommend this internship to anyone seeking a career in public policy, politics or communications.

Cons

No negative review to offer

OECD2018-08-07

"Get the experience, then move on"

I worked at OECD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Location in Paris 2. Interesting work 3. Premier institution 4. Great benefits for from a European standpoint

Cons

1. Pretty much a Euro centric "club" when it comes to senior positions (with some exceptions), even though there are 35 member countries. 2. Not serious about promoting qualified women, minorities, or younger generation. A bunch of old dinosaurs who had previous high-level positions/connections in their own governments, come to the Organization to wrap up their careers 3. HR on-boarding process is "stale" and... they do not properly guide the interview panel

Advice to Management

1. Make the recruitment process more dynamic (including short test, multiple choice questions, samples of work) 2. Diversify the titles (not everyone needs to be an "Analyst" or "Adviser",) 3. Make promotion of women, minorities (especially Blacks and other people of color), and younger staff, a real cornerstone of the recruitment program, with milestones and programs that support them to get the appropriate... experience , exposure, and responsibility to reach the highest heights.

OECD2017-11-09

OECD Response

November 14, 2017HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Your comments and suggestions are well noted. At the OECD we are constantly working to improve the diversity of our workforce. We are constantly working to modernise our practices and to ensure a working environment that provides interesting career opportunities to all staff. This is why your feedback matters to us!

"Intern experience at OECD"

I worked at OECD

Pros

Really amazing experience-- great people who really tried to give me opportunities to do real work.

Cons

The "international" work environment may not be for everyone.

OECD2016-11-04

"Great Place to Work"

I worked at OECD full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, international and collaborative environment, exciting projects, good salary

Cons

Especially for new hires: uncertain career perspective, relatively low pay, long hours Apart from that: IT system is strange (no access to e-mails from home? it's 2016)

OECD2016-10-21
  6. "Head Custodian"

Former Employee - Head Custodian in Oceanview, CA

I worked at OECD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best job I ever had

Cons

You had to be ready to respond for any and all emergencies

Advice to Management

The person selected to this job has to dedicated and finish each job daily leaving no loose ends.

OECD2016-04-19

"Great work, moves slowly"

I worked at OECD

Pros

Get great experience across a number of countries

Cons

Things can move very slowly and be quite bureaucratic

Advice to Management

Work on not just rewarding people based on tenure.

OECD2016-04-06

"Great benefits but great need for better management"

I have been working at OECD

Pros

Excellent salary package, health coverage and benefits, such as home leave for expat staff, education allowance, dependent's allowance, etc. Prestigious organisation that is good to have on your cv.

Cons

Technical experts are hired for management roles with no managerial skill set. The past several years have seen much restructuring of central services which has proved rather ineffective. HR caters to management as opposed to having a real role in assisting employees with mobility or resolving conflict. Career advancement is often more about who you know as opposed to qualifications for the position.

Advice to Management

Hire staff with management skills for management positions.

OECD2015-12-26

"Vibrant think tank environment for driven sharp minds"

I worked at OECD

Pros

Environment open for dialogue, where drive gets positively rewarded with more responsibility

Cons

For some people the think tank atmosphere remains a bubble. It might get frustrating to focus on best-practice and not see it being implemented by governments because of politics.. Yet that's the whole challenge you take on when going in there..

Advice to Management

Keep positively rewarding go-getters who get up to speed fast, willing to take on more responsibility while still doing the grunt work too

OECD2014-01-17

"I learned a great deal about professional communication and organizing a large task with a strict deadline."

Public Affairs Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at OECD

Pros

Management was very flexible about taking time off for a family commitment. The Washington office communicates well and includes its interns in office meetings.

Cons

It took some time to finalize the internship because of complications between my university and OECD headquarters in Paris. Most of that was my adviser's failure to complete the necessary forms though.

Advice to Management

I greatly appreciate your efforts to include the other public affairs intern and me in office meetings and decisions regarding the entire organization.

OECD2011-01-21