OHO Reviews | Glassdoor

Edwin Hastings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Recognition is gold"

I have been working at OHO full-time

Pros

- Talented employees
    - Opportunities for juniors to learn
    - Free friday lunches, and weekly donuts and bagels

Cons

- Too much gossip and favoritism stemming from upper management
    - Dev implications and budget seem to steer project direction instead of creative risk taking.
    - Budgets and salaries are unreasonable for the amount of work employees are being asked to do.
    - No HR resource within reach to voice concerns to (outsourced)
    - Little recognition for a job well done

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to push the envelope and venture off into unchartered territory. Switch up the process once in a while to incorporate more agility. Listen to your employees and treat everyone with the same level of respect.

"Great group of people to work with"

I have been working at OHO full-time

Pros

- Friday Lunch & Learns
    - Fun company outings (red sox games, boat cruises, etc)
    - A great friendly and caring team of people to work with
    - Opportunity for growth
    - Great clients
    - Flexible working hours, WFH days
    - "Always Better Time" is scheduled to focus on topics of our choosing outside of client work.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at the moment. I suppose I don't enjoy the donuts every other Monday because it's hard for me to say no!

Advice to Management

I value that you trust your employees to be independent and get their work done with little intervention. I know that help is there when I need it and that my voice will be heard and my thought and ideas, always considered. From my experience, this can be hard to find in a company.

"I've worked at 4 different digital agencies and this one is the best"

I have been working at OHO full-time

Pros

I've worked on the digital agency side for over 12 years at 4 different companies. OHO is a great place to work and by far my favorite. Here are the highlights:

- Terrific team and culture: Management has done an amazing job of finding folks who are not only very talented at what they do, but also a great cultural fit. Designers, developers, and strategists are routinely collaborating and supporting each other in meaningful ways.

- Great clients and meaningful work: OHO primarily works with clients in the nonprofit, higher education, and healthcare verticals - organizations that are actively trying to make the world a better place.

- Management cares: At the other companies I've worked at the management team has stayed removed from many employees and clients. At OHO, all the way up to the ownership level, management is engaged and committed to the success of both team members and projects.

- Direction: Past agencies have been a bit direction-less, pursuing any opportunity that presents itself. Over the past year, the management team has worked hard to identify its strategy for the next 3 - 5 years. As an employee, understanding this direction, the opportunity for growth, and how I fit into it is very important to me.

Cons

OHO primarily works in higher educations, healthcare, and nonprofit. If you want to work on corporate campaigns for Nike or the like, OHO won't be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard on all the things above! All of these can atrophy if the effort lets up.

"This place needs HR"

I worked at OHO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Fun location in Davis Square.
    -Catered lunch once a week and snacks
    -Beer Fridays
    -Mostly nice people
    -Good work life balance

Cons

This place needs HR. Gossip runs rampant and the leadership team particpates. The president spouts his politics and religious beliefs to employees. They rarely pay out annual bonuses they promise when you're hired, even if the company has done well. They create a hostile work environment for employees they decide they want to leave but don't want to fire.

Leadership claims to be transparent with employees but they don’t communicate decisions that affect employees until they are called out on it.

There is no direction or strategy. No one at the top can explain why the company is better than other agencies or what their business plan is.

They don't promote people. Despite what the recent review says, there are not opportunities for innovating or learning. The work is boring and stale. They don't have the latest technology to test websites on. There is 1 iPad and it's locked up.

In the couple years I was there, there was 100% turnover. There are way too many better places to work with more talented people doing way cooler projects for better pay.

Advice to Management

Try addressing the problems here. You will never get talented people to come work there if you keep doing the same tired, old websites. Try innovating. Try promoting people and give them a raise when you do. Stop micromanaging and backstabbing and start listening. Your culture is toxic and it starts with you. Stop acting like clients are the enemy. Pick a strategy and stick with it.

"Good Developers, Not so good Management"

Former Employee - Principal Web Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Web Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at OHO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Got to work on some great projects.
    - Friday lunches.
    - Great office location.
    - A few good developers.

Cons

- The management discourages the community contribution, which is a big negative point as the agency works exclusively on the open source CMS Drupal.
    - Developers are usually booked for 40+ hours/week, no time for professional development outside of the work.
    - Project budgets are almost always on the lower end that puts employees under a lot of pressure.
    - The management does not value their employees, as a result more than 50% of the developers left during the first few months of 2016.

Advice to Management

Start getting more involved in the drupal community. Don't overbook your employees and give them some time every week to learn new things.

6. "Great Place to Work and Learn"

I have been working at OHO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management listens to staff and wants to hear about any ideas for process improvement. They even build in time for people to use for professional development, improving processes, etc. While the work is project driven, people are given autonomy to figure out what works best for them. Communication in general is really great, we're a strong team. And we genuinely have fun together!

Benefits are good. There are two health insurance plans to choose from, both competitive. Three weeks of vacation to start with an increase each year, and your birthday off! Flexible hours as well.

Cons

Your time at OHO is what you make of it. If you want to attend an event or learn something new, you will need to communicate that with your manager. As I said under Pros, communication is great here, but you still need to initiate the conversation. The great thing is that no one here is scary and they WILL hear you out!

Advice to Management

Management has been taking steps toward improving workflow and employee satisfaction with great success. I'd just say to keep doing what they're doing!

"Developer"

Current Employee - Senior UI Developer in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Senior UI Developer in Somerville, MA

I have been working at OHO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, great development manager, learning opportunities, opportunities for growth.

In the passed ~6 months I've seen a noticeable switch in the attitude of upper management. It seems they are working towards being transparent with their employees and genuinely acting in the interest of everyone. They believe they have talented employees and they are taking noticeable steps towards enabling them to help create a process that is always evolving to follow with new trends in user experience and content strategy. This dictates more opportunities for development to create a compelling content entry process such as multi sites, and multi site eco systems.

Cons

Their niche market is website rebuilds in the higher education space. Current trends and technologies are used on the development side, but the clients generally prefer a more reserved approach with design.

If you are introverted, it can sometimes be difficult to have your voice heard or share your ideas.

* Though there are being steps taken to evaluate employee personalities to better understand the diverse personalities that are present at OHO

Advice to Management

Find a creative director that is very articulate and has good ideas. I think there is a disconnect between design and the client currently where there is no one to push the client to maybe adopt new design trends.

"Super Amazing Place to work"

Pros

Good Leadership
    Good colleagues.
    Great work environment

Cons

Commute to Harvard Square can be cumbersome sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing the great job.

9. "you can do better"

Pros

Nice people, casual office setting, beer.

Cons

Not many processes in place, limited growth potential. There are many better digital agencies in Boston.

Advice to Management

Boston is a competitive market. Finding and retaining the best talent is not easy.

10. "A great learning experience, a great portfolio-builder."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at OHO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Respectful, honest culture. Fulfilling project work, often in non-profit or education/philanthropy/religious groups. Flexible environment to make your own path.

Cons

If you're looking for hard-core, cutting-edge tech pizzazz, maybe not the best fit--though OHO is always ready to absorb and integrate excellent talent, so you might move them that direction!