OHSU Reviews | Glassdoor

OHSU Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

2.0
OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.
Joseph Robertson Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and paid time off (in 37 reviews)

• As far as pay and benefits go, I have to say I was awestruck when I learned about their starting pay (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance seems to depend on department (in 7 reviews)

• No parking places unless pay daily rate for the garage or on the street (in 12 reviews)

"OHSU used to be great"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Portland, OR

Pros

Portland area rocks.
    Some great people work here

Cons

Parking is pretty much non-existent
    Managers are not accountable for how great or awful they are. Which leads to many awful managers. Many bullies.

Advice to Management

Put a manager training program in place. Encourage feedback from employees about their managers. Not the feedback system you now have which is not anonymous. Do you REALLY think you'll get accurate feedback if it's not anonymous?

2. "Self-congratulatory Executives Out-of-Touch with Mission and Employees"

I have been working at OHSU full-time

Pros

-Benefits
    -Discounts
    -Reputation of OHSU
    -Interesting, complex medical cases
    -Work from home options with longevity
    -Access to free online training to enhance skills
    -Tram
    -Transit discount
    -Union representation
    -Attracts kind coworkers
    -Employees dedicated to mission
    -Most of the doctors lack the ego you see at other academic medical institutions

Cons

-Parking on the Hill takes close to a decade to get a spot and daily parking is expensive. Parking on the waterfront and taking the tram up is inconvenient if you live west of Marquam Hill.
    -Public transit to the Hill is a joke if you have any transfers especially in the winter months. Buses are delayed or canceled without notice. Express buses will leave as MAX trains arrive, so you have to wait another 20-30 minutes for the next one. Plan on having at least an hour commute if you take transit. All of the express buses are designed to get you to work before 8 AM, so plan on either a longer commute on the bus or paying for parking if you have to get to work after 8 AM.
    -Executives send out emails self-congratulating themselves without any awareness that their message is disrespectful to the hard work of the employees. It gives the impression that you are writing the email from an Ivory Tower.
    -The Executive culture trickles down to Directors and Managers. There is a lot of energy put into protecting themselves even when it is not what's best for patient care and employee engagement. Expect management to patronize you when you speak up about issues. No actions are ever taken to make things better, but they will give you a lot of fluffy words to give you false hope that things will change.
    -Pay is below market rate and you will never get a merit increase.
    -There are too many employees and too little space, so expect for some cozy workspace arrangements.
    -Even before the hiring freeze, there was an effort to stretch employees thin with unrealistic expectations for performance. I have no work/life balance due to working the equivalent of two jobs and a commute from Hell. I am using vacation days to run errands.
    -If your role is considered a cost center, you will be treated like a second-class citizen.
    -OHSU is supposed to practice LEAN, but I have yet to see it done well.
    -Epic is not organized well and has lots of room for improvement. If you have to be in Epic everyday expect for a lot of frustration.
    -Little to no training.
    -Expect to get sick a lot due to being in a hospital and taking public transit. You will feel like a petri dish after awhile.
    -I am looking for another job. I was hired to provide a service, but I am treated like I joined a cult that keeps promising heaven but then hands me a cup of Kool-Aid. Y'all can go down together, I'm getting out!

Advice to Management

-Stop treating your employees like mercenaries. Happy employees are productive employees. And don't forget employees are patients, too, so you can't feed us the line that it's about patient care when you're not taking care of us.
    -OHSU needs to have a meeting with Trimet to streamline the routes to be more convenient and reliable. There is no reason the express buses can't run all day with limited service between 8 AM and 3 PM. Park-and-ride lots near the Hill with a shuttle or bus stop would do wonders for employee morale, too. Y'all have been around for forever now, there's no reason you can't figure out a transit system that works better.
    -Align your actions with the mission of the institution. There is some serious, high-level hypocrisy going on at OHSU.
    -Admit you're completely for profit. There is nothing about OHSU that resembles a nonprofit.
    -Stop trying to screw the employees over every time you renegotiate the union contracts. We see right through you and you have lost our trust.
    -Don't even think about trying to combine all the budgets together to supplement the departments with a deficit. Figure out how to make those departments self-sufficient on their own without stealing from other groups.
    -Let the doctors market themselves in the media. That's how you bring in more business!
    -Less talk and more walk! If you overpromise one more time...I swear!
    -Good luck! You are like the abusive boyfriend that makes you feel like you can't do better. Like I would tell that kind of boyfriend, I hope you get the help that you need and treat the next person better, but I never want to see you again.

"Clinical pharmacist"

Former Employee - Clinical Staff Pharmacist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Clinical Staff Pharmacist in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

loved the staff. Mostly everyone is friendly

Cons

bad managers. Hostile work environment. Staff quits often. Lots of turnover

4. "Mixed review"

Current Employee - Support Services in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Support Services in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great research and life-saving work performed at this facility. Hiring freeze to be lifted in March, which is great as OHSU continues its expansion at the waterfront. They try too stay competitive in pay and benefits, and pay for ONA and AFSCME is negotiated,

Cons

Multiple cons. Our retirement plan was cut in half last year to save OHSU money. Workers were given a 6% one time hourly increase with the suggestion to invest or save it. (Not all employees received the raise, either, so this led to resentment and divisiveness in the workplace.) Many of us live paycheck to paycheck, so saving the 6% raise was not really possible. Most people I know already work 2 jobs just to make ends meet. Another issue: Management in my area openly lies to the workers and discriminates against workers and applicants who do not share her immigrant background. We cannot complain to her superior as they are personal friends. We have to file claims with HR to try to get a fair resolution. Very discouraging.

Advice to Management

Do the right thing and follow OHSU's motto and code of conduct.

"RN"

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse

I worked at OHSU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, collaborative environment, competent residents, good resources

Cons

How the organization applies its professional practice model feels like nursing school all over again. Each week required an extensive reflection connecting practice to vague word in the model, often taking 2+ hours to finish. Management and professional practice leaders were unhelpful and nonspecific about areas for improvement and will simply sack employees who fail to fit.

Advice to Management

When an employee is struggling, actually take time to assess performance, identify problem areas, and create a plan with measurable goals, and document it, instead of terminating good employees with potential who may require a bit more work to succeed.

"Research Assistant I ONPRC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I worked at OHSU part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with investigators at the forefront of biomedical research. Working with non-human primates is interesting.

Cons

Very low upward mobility, if they get you to work in a job that nobody wants, they won't let you move on. Political hiring and favoritism.

Advice to Management

Invest in the improvement of your workforce instead of keeping employees in low positions to make management look good.

"Rehabilitation"

Pros

Great pay, wonderful co-workers, on waterfront.

Cons

seriously understaffed, over worked, no employee parking, having to pay a large amount for parking.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They care and want to be there, but when you are consistently disregarding everything they say things get ugly very quickly. Please be truthful to those you hire regarding the overwhelming work load and how stressful it can be.

8. "Oregon Health Sciences university"

I have been working at OHSU full-time

Pros

its a great place to learn your craft

Cons

parking is a very big issue

"Leaderless"

Current Employee - Professor in Marquam Hill, OR
    Current Employee - Professor in Marquam Hill, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

University filled with talented people

Cons

Clueless leaders whose idea of innovation is to create more vice presidents or deans of this and that. Enamored with expansion by bond selling. Crazy incentives for "leaders" that are counterproductive

Advice to Management

Get out of the way

"Great for health sciences, not so much for technology development"

Pros

Great benefits, location, work-life balance and overall mission. There are a lot of passionate researchers who are making a lot of great progress towards various missions.

Cons

The various IT groups in the institution are rifled with bureaucracy that prevents creative thinking, innovation and productivity. The main IT group is unionized: you can imagine how hard it is to fire software developers and managers, even when they're falling asleep in meetings. Product and technology development is not their strong-point, so please make sure to carefully evaluate the culture at OHSU before considering an IT-related job there.

Advice to Management

Empathize with employees more. Modernize your management culture a bit. Take the time to learn new technologies, especially for those who lead technology groups.