OHSU Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.
Joseph Robertson Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and paid time off (in 34 reviews)

• We are also part of the nursing union so we have good benefits because of that (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • No parking, lower base salary but that is made up by the amazing benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay in research jobs at the assistant level (in 9 reviews)

1. "Benefits are the best part"

Former Employee - Patient Account Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Patient Account Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid only $56 out of my bi-weekly paychecks to have full medical, dental and vision for my 2 children and I.

Cons

Parking is a major issue. Also, for such a reputable business, lack of organization is very apparent, even to patients.

"OHSU used to be great"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Portland, OR

Pros

Portland area rocks.
    Some great people work here

Cons

Parking is pretty much non-existent
    Managers are not accountable for how great or awful they are. Which leads to many awful managers. Many bullies.

Advice to Management

Put a manager training program in place. Encourage feedback from employees about their managers. Not the feedback system you now have which is not anonymous. Do you REALLY think you'll get accurate feedback if it's not anonymous?

3. "Self-congratulatory Executives Out-of-Touch with Mission and Employees"

I have been working at OHSU full-time

Pros

-Benefits
    -Discounts
    -Reputation of OHSU
    -Interesting, complex medical cases
    -Work from home options with longevity
    -Access to free online training to enhance skills
    -Tram
    -Transit discount
    -Union representation
    -Attracts kind coworkers
    -Employees dedicated to mission
    -Most of the doctors lack the ego you see at other academic medical institutions

Cons

-Parking on the Hill takes close to a decade to get a spot and daily parking is expensive. Parking on the waterfront and taking the tram up is inconvenient if you live west of Marquam Hill.
    -Public transit to the Hill is a joke if you have any transfers especially in the winter months. Buses are delayed or canceled without notice. Express buses will leave as MAX trains arrive, so you have to wait another 20-30 minutes for the next one. Plan on having at least an hour commute if you take transit. All of the express buses are designed to get you to work before 8 AM, so plan on either a longer commute on the bus or paying for parking if you have to get to work after 8 AM.
    -Executives send out emails self-congratulating themselves without any awareness that their message is disrespectful to the hard work of the employees. It gives the impression that you are writing the email from an Ivory Tower.
    -The Executive culture trickles down to Directors and Managers. There is a lot of energy put into protecting themselves even when it is not what's best for patient care and employee engagement. Expect management to patronize you when you speak up about issues. No actions are ever taken to make things better, but they will give you a lot of fluffy words to give you false hope that things will change.
    -Pay is below market rate and you will never get a merit increase.
    -There are too many employees and too little space, so expect for some cozy workspace arrangements.
    -Even before the hiring freeze, there was an effort to stretch employees thin with unrealistic expectations for performance. I have no work/life balance due to working the equivalent of two jobs and a commute from Hell. I am using vacation days to run errands.
    -If your role is considered a cost center, you will be treated like a second-class citizen.
    -OHSU is supposed to practice LEAN, but I have yet to see it done well.
    -Epic is not organized well and has lots of room for improvement. If you have to be in Epic everyday expect for a lot of frustration.
    -Little to no training.
    -Expect to get sick a lot due to being in a hospital and taking public transit. You will feel like a petri dish after awhile.
    -I am looking for another job. I was hired to provide a service, but I am treated like I joined a cult that keeps promising heaven but then hands me a cup of Kool-Aid. Y'all can go down together, I'm getting out!

Advice to Management

-Stop treating your employees like mercenaries. Happy employees are productive employees. And don't forget employees are patients, too, so you can't feed us the line that it's about patient care when you're not taking care of us.
    -OHSU needs to have a meeting with Trimet to streamline the routes to be more convenient and reliable. There is no reason the express buses can't run all day with limited service between 8 AM and 3 PM. Park-and-ride lots near the Hill with a shuttle or bus stop would do wonders for employee morale, too. Y'all have been around for forever now, there's no reason you can't figure out a transit system that works better.
    -Align your actions with the mission of the institution. There is some serious, high-level hypocrisy going on at OHSU.
    -Admit you're completely for profit. There is nothing about OHSU that resembles a nonprofit.
    -Stop trying to screw the employees over every time you renegotiate the union contracts. We see right through you and you have lost our trust.
    -Don't even think about trying to combine all the budgets together to supplement the departments with a deficit. Figure out how to make those departments self-sufficient on their own without stealing from other groups.
    -Let the doctors market themselves in the media. That's how you bring in more business!
    -Less talk and more walk! If you overpromise one more time...I swear!
    -Good luck! You are like the abusive boyfriend that makes you feel like you can't do better. Like I would tell that kind of boyfriend, I hope you get the help that you need and treat the next person better, but I never want to see you again.

5. "pretty good job"

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay and benifits are nice

Cons

Its hard to work night shift,

Advice to Management

I wish they didnt alienate night shift people so much

6. "PAS Specialist"

Former Employee - PAS Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - PAS Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative and exciting academic community that promotes lifelong learning with tuition reimbursement and career advancement.

Cons

Communication within upper to middle management to lower tier employees can be poor at times.

7. "Review from a bedside nurse"

I have been working at OHSU full-time

Pros

OHSU is a great community. I feel valued by my peers, my manager, and my patients.

Cons

The upper administration could do more (as in many organizations) to have a connection with the staff in the trenches.

8. "Admin position"

I have been working at OHSU part-time

Pros

Insurance, benefits, location, bus service, available positions

Cons

Location, parking, some buildings, space, pay may be higher for other places

"Challenges and inspiration of academic medical center"

Current Employee - Research Assistant
    Current Employee - Research Assistant

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

So inspiring to be around folks that are so committed to their research, patient care, and education. I feel connected to the mission and vision.

Cons

Funding. Everyone is overworked, and I know it's because of factors that are often out of the hands of management, but it doesn't make it easier. In 5 years at OHSU, I feel like I've always been in an environment where "next fiscal year will be better," and I'm expected to "hold on there" for a time when I won't be overworked.

Advice to Management

Fund or don't fund. Do less if you can't fund the work.

"Clinical pharmacist"

Former Employee - Clinical Staff Pharmacist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Clinical Staff Pharmacist in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

loved the staff. Mostly everyone is friendly

Cons

bad managers. Hostile work environment. Staff quits often. Lots of turnover

"An exciting place to work!"

Current Employee - Research Assistant I in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Research Assistant I in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It all depends on what lab you work for. I love my boss, my team, and my office, and feel very supported - but it's all lab specific. OHSU is very exciting and I appreciate the free Lynda classes and Grand Rounds I've been able to attend.

Cons

The pay isn't what I'd like it to be. I can survive on 28k because I live with my parents and don't have to pay rent - I can't imagine living in Portland proper on less than 30k annually.