OHSU Reviews | Glassdoor

OHSU Reviews

Updated May 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great benefits and paid time off (in 34 reviews)

• We are also part of the nursing union so we have good benefits because of that (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • No parking, lower base salary but that is made up by the amazing benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Work life balance seems to depend on department (in 6 reviews)

1. "OHSU was a decent employer. I thought it would've been a better experience overall."

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The prestige and benefit package . They have a great 403b. OHSU has such a good reputation in the community that it looks good on my resume. There are some good people there.

Cons

My manager was very inexperienced. There was lack of nursing leadership. Poor communication overall. The pay was less than other hospitals in the area. Nursing has a union which I think is both good and bad at the same time. Nurses that are not so great great tend to be allowed to stay in the system because it's hard to fire them or discipline them without union involvement.

Advice to Management

Bridge the gap with the people that are actually delivering care to the patients

"It's to difficult to get anything done"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits. Cool problems to solve (if we ever could).

Cons

Technology is substandard, there is no process, lots of politics, non-technical people making technical decisions. No accountability. Organization says its interested in research, but it's actions say otherwise.

Advice to Management

Reorganize and refocus your technology, treat it as a business.
    Have a clear vision
    Remove duplicate and competing efforts.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Research Integrity Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Research Integrity Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is competitive and the benefits are decent. The prescription prices are amazing and I get 15 vacation days a year in addition to sick leave and holidays. The work hours are somewhat flexible and they are going to start a new policy that will allow us to work from home 1 day each week. Great retirement and it's all in a beautiful area/campus.

Cons

Less vacation than most colleges and no time off for spring break (not bad compared to most jobs but less compared to most other colleges). Budget cuts have lost us a lot of resources and manpower we would have had otherwise. Also, there is some degree of bureaucracy and red tape involved.

Advice to Management

Provide time/resources for development and proactive improvements for the department

5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great people, lots of leaning to be had

Cons

Commute and parking are tough

6. "Great place to work, but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dynamic environment. Lots of opportunities to learn and find action
    Quasi public/private -- does a decent job of balancing a need for productivity and enforce accountability with a mission that's not only about money and a touch of a relaxed public vibe
    Decent flexibility

Cons

Balkanized environment -- poor coordination across units and little sense of shared anything. Everyone looks out for their own local interests.
    Resource allocation is all over the place. Some parts have money raining on them while others are truly suffering
    Pay is also all over the place. Some highly skilled/trained people with very difficult jobs get paid very low while others really rake in the dough. This appears to be based more on how position was set up than on characteristics of the individual.
    Success too often defined in terms of conformance with procedure rather than accomplishing anything real

Advice to Management

Best practices should be observed, but they don't apply in every case. Use the goals of objectives to guide decisions rather than the literal words. Make real decisions and justify them based on what they accomplish rather than hiding behind policies and standards.

"Great benefits and discounts"

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and lots of paid time off. Close knit environment and freedom to design and experiment within reason. Nice facilities.

Cons

Parking is horrendous. Location isn't great.

8. "Mixed review"

Current Employee - Support Services in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Support Services in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great research and life-saving work performed at this facility. Hiring freeze to be lifted in March, which is great as OHSU continues its expansion at the waterfront. They try too stay competitive in pay and benefits, and pay for ONA and AFSCME is negotiated,

Cons

Multiple cons. Our retirement plan was cut in half last year to save OHSU money. Workers were given a 6% one time hourly increase with the suggestion to invest or save it. (Not all employees received the raise, either, so this led to resentment and divisiveness in the workplace.) Many of us live paycheck to paycheck, so saving the 6% raise was not really possible. Most people I know already work 2 jobs just to make ends meet. Another issue: Management in my area openly lies to the workers and discriminates against workers and applicants who do not share her immigrant background. We cannot complain to her superior as they are personal friends. We have to file claims with HR to try to get a fair resolution. Very discouraging.

Advice to Management

Do the right thing and follow OHSU's motto and code of conduct.

"ra2"

Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Portland, OR

Pros

paid health care, intelligent co workers, interesting work

Cons

Under paid (quite!), parking is very difficult and expensive, the commute can be terrible

Advice to Management

Take a look at the cost of living in Portland. As it rises and the city becomes more unaffordable, consider raising pay to retain workers.

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR

Pros

Career advancement opportunities, Education reimbursement, Positive atmosphere and great team environment, options for telecommuting opportunities.

Cons

Commute consists of a lot of traffic. Transportation via public transportation isn't ideal.

Advice to Management

Offering higher wages for leadership roles.

"Excellent employer, suffers from low public-sector pay"

Current Employee - Research Assistant I in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Research Assistant I in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent retirement benefits (12% employer contribution for unclassified employees)
    Excellent health benefits (basic medical, dental and vision plans are free; medical plan has a low deductible and low out-of-pocket max)
    Excellent PTO
    Interesting projects
    Good job security
    Good community and generally positive view of leadership

Cons

Non-competitive pay (I could get a 75% raise with the same job title if I were willing to move into private industry/out of the Portland area)

Advice to Management

I understand OHSU's funding restrictions so it's difficult to give advice; competitive pay is not a realistic request. OHSU does well in compensating for this with benefits and promotional opportunities; continue promoting from within whenever possible, and look for other opportunities to express appreciation for employees - loyalty is one of the few reasons to put up with the mediocre pay