OHSU Reviews | Glassdoor

OHSU Reviews

Updated February 8, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great benefits, great people, great place to learn (in 36 reviews)

• Good work life balance, with nearly 4 weeks of vacation time for all unclassified employees (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No parking, lower base salary but that is made up by the amazing benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay in research jobs at the assistant level (in 9 reviews)

1. "Ambulatory RN"

Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Portland, OR

Pros

Pay, vacation time, sick time,

Cons

Union rules allow for decrease in professionalism
    Medical assistants
    Lack of staff

2. "Overall great place to work"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, with nearly 4 weeks of vacation time for all unclassified employees. TriMet annual pass is made available at a greatly reduced price.

Cons

Parking at work is near impossible. Wait list for a spot is several years long so need to use public transit to get up and down the hill-adds time to the commute.

Advice to Management

Would be great to have more transparency and communication regarding long term goals for the organization. The structure is difficult for outsiders to pick up easily as there is a significant of beauracracy.

3. "Great Company For Getting Started"

Current Employee - CNA II in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - CNA II in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teaching hospital so you need to be able to work well with new doctors, new nurses, and student radiation therapists. It is a great place to ask questions and as a CNA you are desperately needed. If your floor doesn't have the hours to cover your paycheck and you still want to work that day, they will float you to a new floor to stay working. I have really enjoyed this place! Worked here as a CNA for 2 years now, For the first year on Float pool, and second year on the Mother Baby Unit. Great experiences and my resume growth has been great because of it. We are also part of the nursing union so we have good benefits because of that.

Cons

The one thing I wish would change is I would love to have equal representation for holidays with the nurses. I wouldn't mind getting paid for a double back while working nights. That and nurses on call pay would be nice too. As a CNA you do not get this. But you still do get good representation because this hospital (mainly the Pediatric umbrella) really love and take care of their CNAs. If you are a hard worker you will be treated with respect and taken care of.

Advice to Management

Equal pay compensation for the CNA double back would be great. Or even a CNA on call compensation would be amazing. I feel you would never be short staffed if you allowed this to be a thing. Otherwise I really love this company and have had really good experience working here.

5. "OHSU"

Pros

Great benefits and great mission.

Cons

Understaffed, overworked, high stress, bad department.

6. "senior research associate"

Pros

Good environment. Nice people around.

Cons

Limited parking. Traffic could be worse during snow days.

"Great Organization"

I have been working at OHSU full-time

Pros

Diversity is encouraged and respected in all shapes and forms: skin color, sexual orientation, cultural backgrounds, thought processes, ideas, etc. This is the first organization I've worked for that has done this well.

Management (at least all of mine that I've had in my years here) encourages learning, development, and growth. If you have a goal in mind, even if it's not clear yet, they will do what it takes to help you walk down a path that suits you.

HR actually listens and are impartial in their practices. This is the first organization in which I can see how hard HR caring about the people they serve. There are of course policies and rules that they cannot bend but they take the people's circumstances into account.

Many passionate employees who believe in what they do and step out of their ways to ensure OHSU makes a good impression on the community.

Cons

Parking is horrible. I don't like that one bit but patients come first. It is expensive though to pay for.

Big chain of command that is necessary given the size of the organization. It can make decision making/processes flow lag a bit. Not sure if there's a work around.

You work very hard here, which isn't a bad thing. I think other organizations may have a lower standard of work quality/expectations in how much work you can churn out. It's not really a con but maybe we can increase headcount for departments that are stretched to their limits?

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to care about your employees. Continue to hire great managers and great talent. Good job!

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, great benefits, community discounts, great people and it's awesome to be part of an organization that always has interesting research being conducted.

Cons

Despite supposedly having "preference" for applying to jobs internally, myself and others that I have spoken to have actually found it very difficult to move into a new position within the organization. There's even rules based on the union agreement about getting interviews for internal candidates with preference that some hiring managers don't abide by.

Advice to Management

Monitor your hiring managers' practices better and find a way to track and make it mandatory for them to consider candidates based on contract guidelines.

9. "Research Assistant II"

I have been working at OHSU full-time

Pros

Great PTO accrual and discounts

Cons

Bad Mid-level management for research; no life outside of work

Advice to Management

Care about your employees more

10. "Executive Coordinator"

Pros

Benefits are pretty good overall

Cons

Not much investment in career bathing

Advice to Management

Provide more equity to your employees

11. "What you'd expect"

I have been working at OHSU (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and other perks

Cons

Corporate monster, doesn't care about employees unless you are a doctor.

Advice to Management

Give employees bonuses