OHSU Reviews | Glassdoor

OHSU Reviews

Updated April 27, 2017

Pros
  • Great benefits, great people, great place to learn (in 32 reviews)

• We are also part of the nursing union so we have good benefits because of that (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • No parking, lower base salary but that is made up by the amazing benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay in research jobs at the assistant level (in 9 reviews)

1. "great, if you're an MD or cancer researcher"

Former Employee - Researcher in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Researcher in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus with a lot of talented people. Great research facilities, support, and cores. If you are looking to be a biomedical scientist in the Portland area, this is pretty much your only option.

Cons

Parking is worse than terrible. You will not park on the hill. Food is expensive. There is a definite lean toward cancer based research (for obvious reasons). Being in a neuroscience based lab, I often felt like our research didn't matter to the university.

Advice to Management

PhDs are people too. Support your research staff and faculty because they are your ticket into the news headlines. Want to compete with the big bio med research universities? Then, help your labs get attention in the popular press.

2. "Decent pay but Poor Work/Life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It really depends on the department you work in. If you work with providers, you get many perks - free lunches, free coffee/tea, Holiday parties, employee appreciation gifts. Pay is average, benefits as well. Rewarding when you walk out feeling like you made a difference in a patient's life.

Cons

If however you work behind the scenes in administrative/operations, you are basically the red-headed stepchild of the organization. Overlooked/overworked. Turnover has been an issue, which puts more strain on the people that stick around. Our breakroom sits 4 people for a department of 100+, not even coffee or silverware is supplied. Management disrespectful and shows favoritism, and does not communicate in an amicable way. Commute sucks 10 hours out of the week, even though I could do my job entirely from home.

Advice to Management

Be more respectful of your employees; maybe take come classes in communication skills. Institute more telecommuting options for better employee job satisfaction/retainment.

3. "First Rate Work for Third Rate Pay"

Current Employee - Bioinformatician in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Bioinformatician in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dynamic environment, great research projects. Your contribution will make a difference in whichever field you are in.

Cons

Parking conditions are horrendous. Paid parking is very expensive. Salary is half of what one would be making in a descent corporation.

"Payroll Specialist"

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist II in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist II in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Telecommute part time and raises were controlled by the union contract. Our office wasn't on the hill so we weren't forced to take the bus and didn't have a long wait list for a parking space. Easy to get a reserved space for ADA.

Cons

Difficult to get management to provide reasonable accommodation and adequate ergonomics in the desk set up. Telecommuting meant shared desk space in the office and not every coworker wanted to allow me to use my desk when we all needed to be in the office even though my headset was plugged into that specific desk and hard to move. For a hospital they could use better training on accommodating their employees with disabilities.

The schedule was not very flexible and some team members were allowed more flexibility than others.

Advice to Management

Treat all of your employees with respect and treat them the same. If you can't be neutral in a conflict between members of your team bring in someone that can. Don't wait until you lose a great employee to figure out that they had valid claims.

6. "Neurorad fellow"

Current Employee - Fellow in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Fellow in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Knowledgeable Attending Physicians, however no true interest in teaching.

Cons

No teaching, no lectures, just read lots of studies for minimal money.

Advice to Management

ACGME has expectations which should be followed.

"Research Technician"

Former Employee - Research Assistant II in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Research Assistant II in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU (More than 8 years)

Pros

You are paid a small monthly stipend (~$20/month) extra to bike to work. Nice views from some of the research labs.

Cons

Poorly run research departments. Large administrative bureaucracy (as with many teaching hospitals these days). Marquam Hill campus is isolated with poor food options and expensive parking.

"Want to love it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Doing good for the community, advancing research - their heart is in the right place.

Cons

Non-union employees' compensation suffers because OHSU has to afford higher pay for union members. Constant budget cuts and trying to do more with less has been wearing on everyone for a while now and is almost at a breaking point. Everyone's too busy, so no clear goals or focused efforts - just constant firefighting and chaos.

Advice to Management

Get rid of poor mid-level leaders who can't further a clear vision and who don't advocate for their employees.

9. "ohsu research"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The campus is really nice. Lots of vacation time.

Cons

There are no opportunities for advancements.

"Good employer"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant/Administrative Coordinator in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, dedicated employees. Entry level positions are plentiful.

Cons

Wage less than competitive. Systems need to be updated.

Advice to Management

Advocate for process changes in administrative support positions to allow growth and advancement.

"Meh. Shiny exterior, old-fashioned interior."

Former Employee - Senior Trainer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Trainer in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OHSU has great name recognition as one of the largest employers in the Portland Metro Area. It's an interesting and beautiful work environment -- particularly working on the Hill and surrounding locations. Although I'd never go back there, I feel my career has benefitted by having OHSU on my resume. I sought out and got to work with a handful of amazing people that I learned a lot from.

Cons

The organization does not come close to the shiny, innovative, cutting edge appearance that it displays to the outside world. Inside, it's an old fashioned, stunted bureaucracy of siloes with many people punching the clock for a paycheck. It's not terrible, it's just mediocre and humdrum without much concern for changing. The unionized environment is what it is, but I saw nearly no evidence that the unions directly made a better work experience for employees -- instead fueling animosity, skepticism, and ugly spin that seemed to serve the union more than the employees.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees more, lighten up, try to have real relationships even though some employees are "represented." Work to include yourself more as an employee of OHSU, rather than a "Manager" as if it's something better/more than.