OHSU Reviews | Glassdoor

OHSU Reviews

Updated June 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great benefits and paid time off (in 35 reviews)

• As far as pay and benefits go, I have to say I was awestruck when I learned about their starting pay (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No parking, lower base salary but that is made up by the amazing benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Work life balance seems to depend on department (in 6 reviews)

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, great benefits, community discounts, great people and it's awesome to be part of an organization that always has interesting research being conducted.

Cons

Despite supposedly having "preference" for applying to jobs internally, myself and others that I have spoken to have actually found it very difficult to move into a new position within the organization. There's even rules based on the union agreement about getting interviews for internal candidates with preference that some hiring managers don't abide by.

Advice to Management

Monitor your hiring managers' practices better and find a way to track and make it mandatory for them to consider candidates based on contract guidelines.

2. "Research Assistant II"

Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Portland, OR

Pros

Great research team, good benefits and many opportunities to learn

Cons

More work load and fewer people

"BMET 2"

Current Employee - BMET II in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - BMET II in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, great clinical engineering department. Professionalism, autonomy.

Cons

Not enough physical space for the department.

"Politics thru the roof - so sad, it's not about health care"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits - they do offer a lot of benefits.

Cons

Politics. Most places have politics, but this place is above and beyond. Many, many incompetent people in leadership positions, huge turnover rate in management and some leadership positions. Culture overall is a joke, many departments have their own culture cause the greater culture is bad. I worked in all aspects (health care, research, and academics) and it's the same overall. When the President and the CEO of the hospital are in a constant power struggle, and a CFO that clearly states he would like to close the emergency room to keep out the indignant patients who don't have insurance, what message does this send the staff?

Advice to Management

Quit. Leave. Come into the 20th century. Stop leading from your ivory tower.

5. "OHSU Employee"

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Design & Construction Team, Great Culture, Diversity

Cons

Micro management, lack of interdepartmental working relationships - departments seem to be out for themselves and not willing to work with other departments

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, trust that employees will do their job & do it well, give everyone the benefit of the doubt

"Pediatric Emergency Department Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time

Pros

From what I can tell OHSU is an excellent organization. I was hired as a new graduate nurse and have worked here for 6 months so far.

As a teaching hospital, they have cultivated a culture that promotes learning and self-improvement. I would highly recommend it for a new graduate, or someone who values an atmosphere of supportiveness. I can't speak for other departments, but the pediatric emergency department is an incredible place to work. From the manager down, they really employ great people. Almost everyone is friendly, knowledgable, and more than willing to help if you need it. The people I work with make a stressful job much more bearable and I'm extremely grateful for that.

As far as pay and benefits go, I have to say I was awestruck when I learned about their starting pay. Currently it's 37.02 an hour for all new nurses (0 years of experience with a BSN). And it goes up every year, all the way to 54 dollars an hour. Coming from Missouri where the starting pay was about 20.50 an hour at most hospitals, this news was a surprise. But that's what you get with a nursing union though. The differentials are impressive as well. There is a 6.00 dollar night differential, 2.30 evening differential, and a 3.70 weekend differential. There are also a multitude of other differentials depending on the circumstance.

On top of the compensation, the benefits are impressive too. Full personal medical, dental and vision coverage if you are a full-time employee (0.7 FTE or greater) at no cost to you. There are several options regarding the types of benefits you can choose from and some do cost money. Retirement options at OHSU are excellent as well. You can choose from an state-run self funded pension plan or an employer contribution plan that essentially pays you 12% of your earnings a year to an investment plan, plus a self-funded portion.

So far OHSU has more than met my expectations of a positive employment experience. I would absolutely recommend it to other nurses.

Cons

The worst part of the job is it can be very stressful, especially if you are new and inexperienced. Again I can't speak for other departments, so this downside is likely specific to the department I'm in. As you can imagine children can be a difficult population to care for given their lack of understanding and fear of strange people and places. Add into it parents who are panicked because their child is sick, and you can get into some fairly difficult situations. So ultimately, the job is physically, mentally, and emotionally taxing.

Aside from that the only downside to OHSU is it's location. The state income tax in Oregon is one of the highest in the nation. So about 31.5% of my paychecks go towards taxes (FIT, SIT, WC, and SS). Living in and around Portland is expensive as well, at least compared to suburban/urban Missouri. The commute into and out of Portland is awful as well, if you work normal hours (8:00am-5:00pm). Luckily I work at night an avoid traffic for the most part.

Lastly parking near OHSU "up on the hill" is very expensive (14 dollars a day) and can be very frustrating if parking spots are limited. Parking is free at night though.

Overall the pros outweigh the cons and I would highly recommend this organization.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people and keep doing a good job. OHSU has been a fantastic place to work so far.

7. "Good Place for a Satisfying Career"

Former Employee - Surgical Technologist in Marquam Hill, OR
    Former Employee - Surgical Technologist in Marquam Hill, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 8 years)

Cons

Advice to Management

OHSU stays on top of the medical technology and advancements. They do a good job of keeping employees happy. Parking is a bummer here. 15$ a day to park at work? Its outrageous. Investigate alternate options for getting there.

8. "Resource"

Current Employee - Referral Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Referral Coordinator in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are really good. Please are fun

Cons

lack of parking on main campus, decreased retirement package, this is a unionized enviorment

Advice to Management

Needs better hiring practices.

9. "PAS"

Current Employee - Patient Access Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Patient Access Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Patient Care services offered by the tem.

Cons

The. Illness of the patient and how they learn to deal with bad news. Learning how to balance their lives from mine.

Advice to Management

Keep going as a Team.

10. "They steal through parking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay can be OK, people can be nice. It varies because it's so huge.

Cons

Administration charges you steep rates for parking. The money goes toward all kinds of mysterious things that are far removed from parking and that employees should have no business paying for.

Advice to Management

Someday you will understand that we can tell when you are BSing us.