OHSU Reviews | Glassdoor

OHSU Reviews

Updated September 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and paid time off (in 40 reviews)

• Good work life balance, with nearly 4 weeks of vacation time for all unclassified employees (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance seems to depend on department (in 7 reviews)

• No parking places unless pay daily rate for the garage or on the street (in 12 reviews)

1. "Review from a bedside nurse"

I have been working at OHSU full-time

Pros

OHSU is a great community. I feel valued by my peers, my manager, and my patients.

Cons

The upper administration could do more (as in many organizations) to have a connection with the staff in the trenches.

2. "Admin position"

I have been working at OHSU part-time

Pros

Insurance, benefits, location, bus service, available positions

Cons

Location, parking, some buildings, space, pay may be higher for other places

"Research jobs are underpaid, like they are everywhere"

Current Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and paid time off

Cons

In research, there is no upward mobility for someone without an advanced degree

Advice to Management

Pay your people more and you'll retain more employees. It's ridiculous that people with such specialized skills are paid little more than baristas.

4. "Self-congratulatory Executives Out-of-Touch with Mission and Employees"

I have been working at OHSU full-time

Pros

-Benefits
    -Discounts
    -Reputation of OHSU
    -Interesting, complex medical cases
    -Work from home options with longevity
    -Access to free online training to enhance skills
    -Tram
    -Transit discount
    -Union representation
    -Attracts kind coworkers
    -Employees dedicated to mission
    -Most of the doctors lack the ego you see at other academic medical institutions

Cons

-Parking on the Hill takes close to a decade to get a spot and daily parking is expensive. Parking on the waterfront and taking the tram up is inconvenient if you live west of Marquam Hill.
    -Public transit to the Hill is a joke if you have any transfers especially in the winter months. Buses are delayed or canceled without notice. Express buses will leave as MAX trains arrive, so you have to wait another 20-30 minutes for the next one. Plan on having at least an hour commute if you take transit. All of the express buses are designed to get you to work before 8 AM, so plan on either a longer commute on the bus or paying for parking if you have to get to work after 8 AM.
    -Executives send out emails self-congratulating themselves without any awareness that their message is disrespectful to the hard work of the employees. It gives the impression that you are writing the email from an Ivory Tower.
    -The Executive culture trickles down to Directors and Managers. There is a lot of energy put into protecting themselves even when it is not what's best for patient care and employee engagement. Expect management to patronize you when you speak up about issues. No actions are ever taken to make things better, but they will give you a lot of fluffy words to give you false hope that things will change.
    -Pay is below market rate and you will never get a merit increase.
    -There are too many employees and too little space, so expect for some cozy workspace arrangements.
    -Even before the hiring freeze, there was an effort to stretch employees thin with unrealistic expectations for performance. I have no work/life balance due to working the equivalent of two jobs and a commute from Hell. I am using vacation days to run errands.
    -If your role is considered a cost center, you will be treated like a second-class citizen.
    -OHSU is supposed to practice LEAN, but I have yet to see it done well.
    -Epic is not organized well and has lots of room for improvement. If you have to be in Epic everyday expect for a lot of frustration.
    -Little to no training.
    -Expect to get sick a lot due to being in a hospital and taking public transit. You will feel like a petri dish after awhile.
    -I am looking for another job. I was hired to provide a service, but I am treated like I joined a cult that keeps promising heaven but then hands me a cup of Kool-Aid. Y'all can go down together, I'm getting out!

Advice to Management

-Stop treating your employees like mercenaries. Happy employees are productive employees. And don't forget employees are patients, too, so you can't feed us the line that it's about patient care when you're not taking care of us.
    -OHSU needs to have a meeting with Trimet to streamline the routes to be more convenient and reliable. There is no reason the express buses can't run all day with limited service between 8 AM and 3 PM. Park-and-ride lots near the Hill with a shuttle or bus stop would do wonders for employee morale, too. Y'all have been around for forever now, there's no reason you can't figure out a transit system that works better.
    -Align your actions with the mission of the institution. There is some serious, high-level hypocrisy going on at OHSU.
    -Admit you're completely for profit. There is nothing about OHSU that resembles a nonprofit.
    -Stop trying to screw the employees over every time you renegotiate the union contracts. We see right through you and you have lost our trust.
    -Don't even think about trying to combine all the budgets together to supplement the departments with a deficit. Figure out how to make those departments self-sufficient on their own without stealing from other groups.
    -Let the doctors market themselves in the media. That's how you bring in more business!
    -Less talk and more walk! If you overpromise one more time...I swear!
    -Good luck! You are like the abusive boyfriend that makes you feel like you can't do better. Like I would tell that kind of boyfriend, I hope you get the help that you need and treat the next person better, but I never want to see you again.

5. "Infusion Pharmacy Technician"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not as mundane as Order entry or crazy busy like retail. Great place to be. Corporate

Cons

Everyone has something good and bad to say. Depends on what you want from the job itself.

Advice to Management

Be more employee focused.

"Clinical pharmacist"

Former Employee - Clinical Staff Pharmacist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Clinical Staff Pharmacist in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

loved the staff. Mostly everyone is friendly

Cons

bad managers. Hostile work environment. Staff quits often. Lots of turnover

7. "Eh"

Pros

Lots of jobs and labs

Cons

Little growth or raises over time

"Dedicated to Mission"

Current Employee - Project Lead in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission
    Dedicated to Diversity
    Great Benefits

Cons

Perks seem to depend on your position
    Work life balance seems to depend on department

9. "Excellent employer"

Current Employee - Research Assistant II
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, open-minded environment. Supportive employees. Easy access to on-site clinics and physicians. Reasonable insurance benefits for employees.

Cons

It's on top of a hill so traffic can become an issue during rush hour or if there are any accidents or inclement weather.

"RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Patients come from all over the world to get treatment at Oregon Health Science University

Cons

Years ago it was patient-centered care & now it is revenue-centered care

Advice to Management

Not sure where to start