OMNOVA Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
OMNOVA Solutions President and Chief Executive Officer Anne P. Noonan
Anne P. Noonan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lots of good people to work and learn from (in 5 reviews)

• Great learning environment, Great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is practically non-existent (in 3 reviews)

• It can be difficult to get things done in the union environment (in 3 reviews)

"Omnova"

I have been working at OMNOVA Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have great benefits and some excellent employees.

Cons

Do not communicate very well within the company nor within departments.

Advice to Management

Better communication.

Sep 8, 2017 – OMNOVA Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your perspective and for your many years of service at OMNOVA. We strive to keep employees engaged and informed through ongoing announcements, webcasts, and quarterly town... More

"Would Not Recommend, Even To My Worst Enemy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH

I worked at OMNOVA Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only positive thing I can think of is the building, and even that has some faults.

Cons

There is a reason that the ratings on here have been in a steady decline since 2017, you do not treat your employees with respect.

The onboarding process is general meetings and a tour, there are no educational pieces for how the business operates. In a company that wants to act as if it’s three times its size, you need to welcome employees and hold their hand the first few days to introduce them to a new business. You have very different businesses that have changed names (Performance Materials and Specialty Solutions), and at the moment you do not explain plant structure and how they fall into the mix. You expect employees to pick this all up day one and then get frustrated when they miss something.

Title alone does not make a leader. An employee should never be given a task in a meeting with the direct quote of, “I have no problem telling you to do something, or you’re fired.” Managers and senior leadership do not know how to motivate and be leaders to employees during this time of constant change and chaos.

Advice to Management

I will echo the other reviews on here because I do not believe it is sinking in: Treat your employees as people and valuable assets.

Talk less about the values (Safety, Integrity, Accountability, and Agility) and show how you are maintaining them – not just for your stakeholders but your employees. Once again, this means treating people with respect and taking the time to develop people into the employees that can be agile and work for you in the ways you see fit. No one will come in on his/her first day and be the perfect employee; they were probably molded by someone else to do things differently.

So, step back, listen more. Treat your employees with the respect that was given to you when you started at the company. Or don’t – I honestly do not care, this review isn’t for you. It’s for the person who is trying to decide if they should work at OMNOVA Solutions, and my advice for them: Run, don’t walk – you do not want to be associated with this company and its leadership team in any capacity.

"not recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mogadore, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mogadore, OH

I have been working at OMNOVA Solutions full-time

Pros

Compensation is decent, benefits are so-so (I've had better). Most people are friendly.

Cons

Culture is one of fear and mistrust. Work life balance is practically non-existent. Goal setting by management is neither achievable nor strategic. Employees have been terminated for simply failing to meet unrealistic goals and expectations with no tolerance for mistakes in an environment where you are working 12-16 hours a day, and resources to help achieve goals are shrinking. Cost cutting was implemented by cutting people that they could ill afford to lose.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as the valuable assets they are. Stop micro-managing and ask the critical questions. What is really important to the organization? How can I align my people to work on the SAME goals so they are working together in collaboration. What resources do I need to give my employees so that they can be successful?

Mar 22, 2018 – OMNOVA Human Resources

I am sorry to hear you are having a negative experience at OMNOVA Solutions. It’s always challenging to get this kind of feedback, particularly when it appears an employee’s experience doesn’t match... More

"Roller Coaster Ride Where You Puke at the End"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH

I worked at OMNOVA Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits weren’t terrible (nor were they excellent). The HQ is beautiful. Room to grow given constant change.

Cons

Hyper focused on young people, cutting to the bone for short-term gains. Constant reorganization and change. I had literally 10 managers in the 3 years I was there. I tried very hard to embrace the CEO as a positive change agent. No, just change agent. Very few worker bees to support all the “directors” and “managers”. Managers could be very transparent with their favored and disfavored employees. 2-2.5% raises.

Advice to Management

Figure out who you want to be before disrupting lives across the globe. There are some people in the background giving poor advice. Focus on delighting the customer first instead of the board. And stop adding layers when the plants are antiquated and can’t produce quality material on time.

Feb 26, 2018 – OMNOVA Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to leave a review of OMNOVA. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience as part of our team.

I’m curious of your claim that you had 10 supervisors in... More

"Long Time Employee"

I worked at OMNOVA Solutions full-time

Pros

Great people, great teamwork, beautiful company headquarters with many perks and benefits, great benefits and 401K plan.

Cons

Poor execution of strategy, non-entrepreneurial management, poor communication, talk the talk but not walking the walk.

"Good money, Long hours"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Jeannette, PA
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Jeannette, PA

I have been working at OMNOVA Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay time and a half for overtime. The work is also easy.

Cons

You work long hours and almost every weekend.

Advice to Management

Be more family orientated.

"Think Twice Before Joining This Organization"

I worked at OMNOVA Solutions full-time

Pros

None. There is not a single pro.

Cons

The company is underperforming and is poorly managed. Reductions in force happen often.

The culture is very strange in this poorly managed company. Some “leaders” are moody and can be abusive which makes the environment toxic.

Decisions happen fast and are often changed a few months later. This causes people to disengage which results in them just going through the motions because they just become numb and discouraged.

Advice to Management

Start treating people with respect and dignity. Be humble and kind and stop the abusive and childish behavior. Maybe business will improve if the poor behaviors stop and you have a workforce that is more engaged? It probably won't. Sell, give up and throw in the towel.

Feb 15, 2018 – OMNOVA Human Resources

Thank you for your post. We welcome feedback, even when it is unpleasant to hear.

It is true that OMNOVA – like many companies – changes its organization structure to respond to demands in... More

"Slave"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, PA

I have been working at OMNOVA Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and somewhat benefits .

Cons

Way too many people in middle management . That are just dead weight . Way too many supervisors and lack in communication and people skills.

Advice to Management

Cut down on supervisors and do away with alot of middle management positions that are dead weight and useless. By eliminating some of the supervisors and alot of middle management position will save the company thousands and improve on employee morals.

Feb 2, 2018 – OMNOVA Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We embrace all feedback even when it is hard to hear. OMNOVA’s Auburn Facility is going through a significant transformation and challenged with growing pains. We are... More

9. "Great place to work, but uncerrtain environment"

I have been working at OMNOVA Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good visibility, no micro-management from the leaders, good camaraderie among cross-functional teams

Cons

Lot of uncertainty; too many reorgs and restructuring efforts in recent times

10. "opinion"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH

I worked at OMNOVA Solutions (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

long drive and many changes

Advice to Management

none