OMNOVA Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
OMNOVA Solutions President and Chief Executive Officer Anne P. Noonan
Anne P. Noonan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Lots of good people to work and learn from" (in 5 reviews)

• "Great learning environment, Great people" (in 5 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great plant culture with potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, SC

I have been working at OMNOVA Solutions full-time

Pros

Great compensation, especially relative to competitors in the area. Coworkers genuinely care about each other so it seems like we are all part of a team working towards a common goal. Low stress environment and great culture.

Cons

Over the last few years, our benefits package has dwindled. Changes made to our PTO/holidays/sick days/STD has cut into the work/life balance that used to attract and retain employees.

Advice to Management

This time of transition in Chester creates an opportunity to drive the plant back in the right direction.

Aug 16, 2018 – OMNOVA HR

Thank you for offering your perspective of the organization and for your service to OMNOVA Solutions. We take pride in our culture and are committed to the success of our employees. I am happy to... More

"Pull your own weight and it will be easier. for all"

Current Employee - Production in Jeannette, PA
    Current Employee - Production in Jeannette, PA

I have been working at OMNOVA Solutions full-time

Pros

Decent pay for this area very low stress. Management easy to work with and nobody has a really hard job.

Cons

Bad ventilation. Lot of lazy worker make s it hard on others. People pull their own weight it would be easier on everyone. If they think this work is hard they never had a real job.

Advice to Management

Take advice from your trusting and more senior production employees

"Auburn PA Beware..."

Current Employee - Operator in Auburn, PA
    Current Employee - Operator in Auburn, PA

I have been working at OMNOVA Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing that outweighs the cons

Cons

Be very careful if you're considering working here at any level of the company. Morale is at the bottom of the barrel and it seems like management could care less. If management could use whips they would. They try to use the better pay as an excuse to make you sacrifice your home life. If you have any love for your family steer clear of this snake pit.

Advice to Management

Ohio, please do something... send an HR rep to interview us on the floor. There are very poor leaders in management that have been here for decades. Ask any one of us and we will have similar stories about the lies that are told to us and the mistreatment caused by these people.

They all protect each other even hr protects these people. Please help before we have to look outward...

Aug 16, 2018 – OMNOVA HR

Thank you for your post. As a company, we are approaching the issue you raise with the appropriate level of concern and responsibility and will, therefore, be working to understand the local... More

"Production Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH

I worked at OMNOVA Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, the facility, the safety, the safety record

Cons

Management, changes in schedule, loss of wages, uncertainty of future of local plant

"A Machine Operator's View"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, PA

I have been working at OMNOVA Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay for the work that is required.

Cons

Management. The way the place is ran is stressful and aggravating. A lot of wasted time. Benefits are ok.

Advice to Management

There are a few individuals who have been in a middle management/supervisor role cause most of the stress and aggravation. These people have been with Omnova for decades. Upper management has been replaced several times in the few years I have been there but these individuals remain. They lower morale and are costing you your valuable employees.

Aug 14, 2018 – OMNOVA HR

Thank you for providing your feedback.

We value the thoughts and opinions our employees provide. As a lean organization, we rely on these observations to help us evolve and succeed. However, it is... More

"Would Not Recommend, Even To My Worst Enemy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH

I worked at OMNOVA Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only positive thing I can think of is the building, and even that has some faults.

Cons

There is a reason that the ratings on here have been in a steady decline since 2017, you do not treat your employees with respect.

The onboarding process is general meetings and a tour, there are no educational pieces for how the business operates. In a company that wants to act as if it’s three times its size, you need to welcome employees and hold their hand the first few days to introduce them to a new business. You have very different businesses that have changed names (Performance Materials and Specialty Solutions), and at the moment you do not explain plant structure and how they fall into the mix. You expect employees to pick this all up day one and then get frustrated when they miss something.

Title alone does not make a leader. An employee should never be given a task in a meeting with the direct quote of, “I have no problem telling you to do something, or you’re fired.” Managers and senior leadership do not know how to motivate and be leaders to employees during this time of constant change and chaos.

Advice to Management

I will echo the other reviews on here because I do not believe it is sinking in: Treat your employees as people and valuable assets.

Talk less about the values (Safety, Integrity, Accountability, and Agility) and show how you are maintaining them – not just for your stakeholders but your employees. Once again, this means treating people with respect and taking the time to develop people into the employees that can be agile and work for you in the ways you see fit. No one will come in on his/her first day and be the perfect employee; they were probably molded by someone else to do things differently.

So, step back, listen more. Treat your employees with the respect that was given to you when you started at the company. Or don’t – I honestly do not care, this review isn’t for you. It’s for the person who is trying to decide if they should work at OMNOVA Solutions, and my advice for them: Run, don’t walk – you do not want to be associated with this company and its leadership team in any capacity.

Apr 27, 2018 – OMNOVA Human Resources

Dear former employee,

I am sorry that your experience at OMNOVA was so unpleasant. It is uncommon to hear comments like this; the majority of our employees – even those that choose to leave us... More

"not recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mogadore, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mogadore, OH

I have been working at OMNOVA Solutions full-time

Pros

Compensation is decent, benefits are so-so (I've had better). Most people are friendly.

Cons

Culture is one of fear and mistrust. Work life balance is practically non-existent. Goal setting by management is neither achievable nor strategic. Employees have been terminated for simply failing to meet unrealistic goals and expectations with no tolerance for mistakes in an environment where you are working 12-16 hours a day, and resources to help achieve goals are shrinking. Cost cutting was implemented by cutting people that they could ill afford to lose.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as the valuable assets they are. Stop micro-managing and ask the critical questions. What is really important to the organization? How can I align my people to work on the SAME goals so they are working together in collaboration. What resources do I need to give my employees so that they can be successful?

Mar 22, 2018 – OMNOVA Human Resources

I am sorry to hear you are having a negative experience at OMNOVA Solutions. It’s always challenging to get this kind of feedback, particularly when it appears an employee’s experience doesn’t match... More

"Roller Coaster Ride Where You Puke at the End"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH

I worked at OMNOVA Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits weren’t terrible (nor were they excellent). The HQ is beautiful. Room to grow given constant change.

Cons

Hyper focused on young people, cutting to the bone for short-term gains. Constant reorganization and change. I had literally 10 managers in the 3 years I was there. I tried very hard to embrace the CEO as a positive change agent. No, just change agent. Very few worker bees to support all the “directors” and “managers”. Managers could be very transparent with their favored and disfavored employees. 2-2.5% raises.

Advice to Management

Figure out who you want to be before disrupting lives across the globe. There are some people in the background giving poor advice. Focus on delighting the customer first instead of the board. And stop adding layers when the plants are antiquated and can’t produce quality material on time.

Feb 26, 2018 – OMNOVA Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to leave a review of OMNOVA. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience as part of our team.

I’m curious of your claim that you had 10 supervisors in... More

"Long Time Employee"

I worked at OMNOVA Solutions full-time

Pros

Great people, great teamwork, beautiful company headquarters with many perks and benefits, great benefits and 401K plan.

Cons

Poor execution of strategy, non-entrepreneurial management, poor communication, talk the talk but not walking the walk.

"Good money, Long hours"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Jeannette, PA
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Jeannette, PA

I have been working at OMNOVA Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay time and a half for overtime. The work is also easy.

Cons

You work long hours and almost every weekend.

Advice to Management

Be more family orientated.