ON Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
ON Semiconductor President, CEO, and Director Keith D. Jackson
Keith D. Jackson

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is almost non-existent (in 5 reviews)

• Promotions based on old boy network (in 6 reviews)

1. "High pay job for no experience"

Former Employee - Operator in Gresham, OR
    Former Employee - Operator in Gresham, OR

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay especially if you word hard. Staying clean not a dirty job. Lots of sitting or moving whatever works best for running yoyr tools.

Cons

No moving up in company quickly without college. Long hrs and some of the management drive you crazy, just like any other job.

Advice to Management

Be in the fab more often and positivity.

2. "Old School"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with all sorts of different things you can work on. Deep engineering history in Silicon development and manufacturing

Cons

Sr executive management tends to be treated like royalty and the rest of the employees are treated as easily replaceable. Promotions are limited and with many acquisitions they are a bit of a smattering of various cultures.

Advice to Management

Would benefit from new blood in the Executive team. The old school continues to make all the rules which leaves little for break through improvement in both results and working environement

"Cheap company"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good experiences of Merger and Acquisition

Cons

lots of lay offs
    cheap salary and benefit
    no talent management

"Unethical ON Awareness Campampaign"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started here in 1993, when it was Motorola, after graduating Magna Cum Laude in Chemical Engineering. I loved working in New Product Development. I was a program manager for the IGBTs in the SPG/PSG division.

Cons

I was involved in an accident and went on medical leave. They hired two H1B visas to take my place. When I came back, I was laid off.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring H1 visas and laying off older people. There were 3.2X more people 50 and over than under 50 laid off by Bill Hall's PSG in Nov 2016.

6. "Intern Review"

Current Employee - Reliability Engineer Intern in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Reliability Engineer Intern in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great place to learn industry standards and develop skills.

Cons

The only drawback I have seen is that my office area doesn't have access to direct sunlight.

7. "Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ON Semiconductor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competent group of leaders under Keith Jackson.

Cons

If there are Cons, management seems to be responsive to employer needs/ concerns.

"Not worth your time and career"

Former Employee - Product Line Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Product Line Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time

Pros

They keep on hiring. You might land up in good role

Cons

The culture is very aggressive. The company is unstable as it believes in firing people for any silly reason. Only favoritism can get you ahead or keep your job.

Advice to Management

In semiconductor industry, it is important that a person commits to a group for at least 7 years in a group so that he is responsible for his work and product line because it takes 2-3 years to build and 5 years to get the revenue. Most of the people change their group within few years and lot of groups are suffering because of that. Some people have made their strategy to move onto the next big thing and not take anything to revenue success

9. "average company"

Former Employee - Developer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Developer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor (Less than a year)

Pros

Work environment is good. this is the only one pros

Cons

Team support too bad

No coffee machenies

"Broken and Disfunctional"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Developer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Developer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor (More than a year)

Pros

The cafeteria is good.

The emphasis on green energy is impressive.

Working conditions and the office environment is attractive.

There are some training opportunities.

Cons

The gap between ideals and reality at On Semiconductor is big and it is getting worse. It is covered to some degree by a rising stock price and its recent acquisitions, but the cancer is still there.

A claim is that On Semiconductor’s core values are “initiative, respect, and integrity.”

In terms of initiative, there is no system development life cycle that protects software inventory and facilitates quality and time to market. Agile doesn’t exist and nor does service-oriented architecture in any meaningful sense.

What am to make of a team where there are no team meetings, no project plans, no approved requirements, little or inadequate test plans or data, no quality control, no six sigma, and where the loudest, most conservative, and most junior voices define on-the-fly software development?

The result is that teams around the clock try to support an ancient, organically developed, brittle, obsolete system that throws repetitious software failures every day. The entire SDLC process is broken. It is responsible for the endless firefighting and routine deployment and execution failures far in excess of what is typical of organizations of that size. The silos at On Semiconductor are such that there is poor communication and where collaboration is defined by e-mails rather than through face to face interactions. What could take days elsewhere to develop takes weeks or months at On Semiconductor.

And no one who has authority cares or knows what to do if they do care.

In terms of respect and integrity, what am I to make of the dishonesty, duplicity, and vileness that infects parts of On Semiconductor? The overall atmosphere approached in my view the legal definition of a hostile workplace. Because of the offshoring and the redundancy of roles in the wake of acquisition integration, some people are afraid and that fear brings out a certain element of ruthlessness from those who are insecure about their long term prospects. While that is an explanation, it does not justify or mitigate the tendency to unethical behavior at On Semiconductor.

The problems at On Semiconductor are real and they are serious.

Consider yourself warned.

There is the proverb that “fish stinks from the head first.” There is little leadership at the departmental level. To the contrary, there a strong “that’s the way we’ve always done things” mentality because of its bottom up organizational and architectural tendencies.

Accordingly, I’m giving senior management and the CEO the lowest possible rating to encourage them to come to grips with these fundamental problems. While I’m no longer an employee, I am a shareholder, and I have an interest in seeing On Semiconductor succeed in spite of itself.

Advice to Management

Bring in a third party consulting team to ask questions that release value.

Look beneath the surface. Interview the rank and file and try to understand why I wrote the things I wrote.

So long as middle management relies on their subordinates for guidance, nothing will change. That direction can only come from the top, from the CEO and board. But that direction must be based on rigorous understanding. Those facts can only come from an authority that can act independently without fear or favor. That authority should be external to On Semiconductor.

These questions should relate to the SDLC, the leadership/staff ratio, tools, and quality control.

One question to consider, for example, is does it even make sense to have a development team in Phoenix rather than Malaysia when the time to market for new development is so slow and the quality of collaboration and communication is so poor?

A core value of On Semiconductor is integrity. And integrity largely has to do with truth—recognizing the truth, speaking the truth, and letting the chips fall where they may. It is my hope that On Semiconductor finds within itself the integrity to see the corporation truthfully as it is and not what it proclaims to the world to be.

I wish On Semiconductor well as it confronts future challenges and opportunities.

11. "programmer analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Decent benefits
    Great Work life balance
    Free Gym onsite

Cons

Limited growth
    unwilling to adopt to new technologies