ON Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
ON Semiconductor President, CEO, and Director Keith D. Jackson
Keith D. Jackson

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is almost non-existent (in 5 reviews)

• Promotions based on old boy network (in 6 reviews)

1. "Cheap company"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good experiences of Merger and Acquisition

Cons

lots of lay offs
    cheap salary and benefit
    no talent management

2. "Disappointed"

Former Employee - IC Design Engineer in Rožnov, South Bohemian Region (Czech Republic)

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology. Digital block development possibilities.

Cons

old and retro people blocking new ideas. Never ever here again. No research. Development using old analog sub-blocks.

Advice to Management

find young smart people. Introduce digital development. Refresh the air. Let people introduce new modern ideas in digital development.

"Unethical ON Awareness Campampaign"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started here in 1993, when it was Motorola, after graduating Magna Cum Laude in Chemical Engineering. I loved working in New Product Development. I was a program manager for the IGBTs in the SPG/PSG division.

Cons

I was involved in an accident and went on medical leave. They hired two H1B visas to take my place. When I came back, I was laid off.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring H1 visas and laying off older people. There were 3.2X more people 50 and over than under 50 laid off by Bill Hall's PSG in Nov 2016.

"Not worth your time and career"

Former Employee - Product Line Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Product Line Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time

Pros

They keep on hiring. You might land up in good role

Cons

The culture is very aggressive. The company is unstable as it believes in firing people for any silly reason. Only favoritism can get you ahead or keep your job.

Advice to Management

In semiconductor industry, it is important that a person commits to a group for at least 7 years in a group so that he is responsible for his work and product line because it takes 2-3 years to build and 5 years to get the revenue. Most of the people change their group within few years and lot of groups are suffering because of that. Some people have made their strategy to move onto the next big thing and not take anything to revenue success

6. "Engineer Manager"

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company is financially stable and growing. Headquarters in US. Benefits might be competitive. Some divisions appear to have a work environment that is friendly to its employees.

Cons

The company does not enforce its ethics policies in regards to treatment of employees. Expect a lot more than they are willing to compensate for. Determined to transfer all jobs possible from US to off shore even if it costs more.

Advice to Management

You have a turnover problem because of the way you mistreat your people. Your best employees everywhere live in constant fear of losing their livelihood regardless of excellent performance. That is not conducive to productivity and meaningful contribution.

"Broken and Disfunctional"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Developer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Developer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor (More than a year)

Pros

The cafeteria is good.

The emphasis on green energy is impressive.

Working conditions and the office environment is attractive.

There are some training opportunities.

Cons

The gap between ideals and reality at On Semiconductor is big and it is getting worse. It is covered to some degree by a rising stock price and its recent acquisitions, but the cancer is still there.

A claim is that On Semiconductor’s core values are “initiative, respect, and integrity.”

In terms of initiative, there is no system development life cycle that protects software inventory and facilitates quality and time to market. Agile doesn’t exist and nor does service-oriented architecture in any meaningful sense.

What am to make of a team where there are no team meetings, no project plans, no approved requirements, little or inadequate test plans or data, no quality control, no six sigma, and where the loudest, most conservative, and most junior voices define on-the-fly software development?

The result is that teams around the clock try to support an ancient, organically developed, brittle, obsolete system that throws repetitious software failures every day. The entire SDLC process is broken. It is responsible for the endless firefighting and routine deployment and execution failures far in excess of what is typical of organizations of that size. The silos at On Semiconductor are such that there is poor communication and where collaboration is defined by e-mails rather than through face to face interactions. What could take days elsewhere to develop takes weeks or months at On Semiconductor.

And no one who has authority cares or knows what to do if they do care.

In terms of respect and integrity, what am I to make of the dishonesty, duplicity, and vileness that infects parts of On Semiconductor? The overall atmosphere approached in my view the legal definition of a hostile workplace. Because of the offshoring and the redundancy of roles in the wake of acquisition integration, some people are afraid and that fear brings out a certain element of ruthlessness from those who are insecure about their long term prospects. While that is an explanation, it does not justify or mitigate the tendency to unethical behavior at On Semiconductor.

The problems at On Semiconductor are real and they are serious.

Consider yourself warned.

There is the proverb that “fish stinks from the head first.” There is little leadership at the departmental level. To the contrary, there a strong “that’s the way we’ve always done things” mentality because of its bottom up organizational and architectural tendencies.

Accordingly, I’m giving senior management and the CEO the lowest possible rating to encourage them to come to grips with these fundamental problems. While I’m no longer an employee, I am a shareholder, and I have an interest in seeing On Semiconductor succeed in spite of itself.

Advice to Management

Bring in a third party consulting team to ask questions that release value.

Look beneath the surface. Interview the rank and file and try to understand why I wrote the things I wrote.

So long as middle management relies on their subordinates for guidance, nothing will change. That direction can only come from the top, from the CEO and board. But that direction must be based on rigorous understanding. Those facts can only come from an authority that can act independently without fear or favor. That authority should be external to On Semiconductor.

These questions should relate to the SDLC, the leadership/staff ratio, tools, and quality control.

One question to consider, for example, is does it even make sense to have a development team in Phoenix rather than Malaysia when the time to market for new development is so slow and the quality of collaboration and communication is so poor?

A core value of On Semiconductor is integrity. And integrity largely has to do with truth—recognizing the truth, speaking the truth, and letting the chips fall where they may. It is my hope that On Semiconductor finds within itself the integrity to see the corporation truthfully as it is and not what it proclaims to the world to be.

I wish On Semiconductor well as it confronts future challenges and opportunities.

8. "Bad Mentor"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at ON Semiconductor as an intern

Pros

The team is really nice and understanding when it comes to a work life balance. Went out to lunch every Friday and it was great.

Cons

Mentor was degrading and blamed many issues on me the intern. The systems are old and messy to the point even the employees doesn't always get things right. Get mixed requests from teams on what they need done. Mentor needs to be hidden away in his desk so he never has to speak to an intern ever again.

Advice to Management

Nothing would get done even if I had something to say.

9. "former employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gresham, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gresham, OR

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some coworkers were great and really cared.

Cons

Most management only wanted the bonus money, so production at any cost. They would hire talented people and not listen to what and how to improve things. Change was not an option or very difficult. Turn over of staff was extremely high. High deductible medical insurance was a joke.

"Just say NO to ON"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ON Semiconductor full-time

Pros

ON pays a competitive salary. ON is a conglomerate of acquired older technology semiconductor manufacturers. ON employs many talented people globally.

Cons

The good 'ol boy Motorola culture is still around.

There is no manufacturing at the corporate headquarters in Phoenix. To be an effective engineer working from Corporate, you have to work virtually on product engineering projects with engineers from the acquired factories. Many times, the engineers from the acquired factories are resentful towards those from corporate making it difficult to succeed.

There is no trust between business units. Business units have to compete amongst each other and the only measure is profit.

Top down, directive management style in some business units. ON's management culture is a few generations back.

There is no employee training in the myriad of ON systems. The multiple ON systems are a direct result of growth through acquisition. There is no synchronization of the multiple data systems inherited from acquisition.

Advice to Management

Corporate should eliminate engineering and just hire business managers to track profits by product lines.

11. "sales engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Field Sales Engineer in North Plains, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Field Sales Engineer in North Plains, OR

I worked at ON Semiconductor (More than a year)

Pros

Purchasing many new technologies- imaging

Cons

Need to be able to do 15 peoples job. Not enough staff to support all the requirements