ON Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 19, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is almost non-existent (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management is no more than a good 'old boys club (in 7 reviews)

1. "Engineer Manager"

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company is financially stable and growing. Headquarters in US. Benefits might be competitive. Some divisions appear to have a work environment that is friendly to its employees.

Cons

The company does not enforce its ethics policies in regards to treatment of employees. Expect a lot more than they are willing to compensate for. Determined to transfer all jobs possible from US to off shore even if it costs more.

Advice to Management

You have a turnover problem because of the way you mistreat your people. Your best employees everywhere live in constant fear of losing their livelihood regardless of excellent performance. That is not conducive to productivity and meaningful contribution.

2. "average company"

Former Employee - Developer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Developer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor (Less than a year)

Pros

Work environment is good. this is the only one pros

Cons

Team support too bad

No coffee machenies

"Broken and Disfunctional"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Developer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Developer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor (More than a year)

Pros

The cafeteria is good.

The emphasis on green energy is impressive.

Working conditions and the office environment is attractive.

There are some training opportunities.

Cons

The gap between ideals and reality at On Semiconductor is big and it is getting worse. It is covered to some degree by a rising stock price and its recent acquisitions, but the cancer is still there.

A claim is that On Semiconductor’s core values are “initiative, respect, and integrity.”

In terms of initiative, there is no system development life cycle that protects software inventory and facilitates quality and time to market. Agile doesn’t exist and nor does service-oriented architecture in any meaningful sense.

What am to make of a team where there are no team meetings, no project plans, no approved requirements, little or inadequate test plans or data, no quality control, no six sigma, and where the loudest, most conservative, and most junior voices define on-the-fly software development?

The result is that teams around the clock try to support an ancient, organically developed, brittle, obsolete system that throws repetitious software failures every day. The entire SDLC process is broken. It is responsible for the endless firefighting and routine deployment and execution failures far in excess of what is typical of organizations of that size. The silos at On Semiconductor are such that there is poor communication and where collaboration is defined by e-mails rather than through face to face interactions. What could take days elsewhere to develop takes weeks or months at On Semiconductor.

And no one who has authority cares or knows what to do if they do care.

In terms of respect and integrity, what am I to make of the dishonesty, duplicity, and vileness that infects parts of On Semiconductor? The overall atmosphere approached in my view the legal definition of a hostile workplace. Because of the offshoring and the redundancy of roles in the wake of acquisition integration, some people are afraid and that fear brings out a certain element of ruthlessness from those who are insecure about their long term prospects. While that is an explanation, it does not justify or mitigate the tendency to unethical behavior at On Semiconductor.

The problems at On Semiconductor are real and they are serious.

Consider yourself warned.

There is the proverb that “fish stinks from the head first.” There is little leadership at the departmental level. To the contrary, there a strong “that’s the way we’ve always done things” mentality because of its bottom up organizational and architectural tendencies.

Accordingly, I’m giving senior management and the CEO the lowest possible rating to encourage them to come to grips with these fundamental problems. While I’m no longer an employee, I am a shareholder, and I have an interest in seeing On Semiconductor succeed in spite of itself.

Advice to Management

Bring in a third party consulting team to ask questions that release value.

Look beneath the surface. Interview the rank and file and try to understand why I wrote the things I wrote.

So long as middle management relies on their subordinates for guidance, nothing will change. That direction can only come from the top, from the CEO and board. But that direction must be based on rigorous understanding. Those facts can only come from an authority that can act independently without fear or favor. That authority should be external to On Semiconductor.

These questions should relate to the SDLC, the leadership/staff ratio, tools, and quality control.

One question to consider, for example, is does it even make sense to have a development team in Phoenix rather than Malaysia when the time to market for new development is so slow and the quality of collaboration and communication is so poor?

A core value of On Semiconductor is integrity. And integrity largely has to do with truth—recognizing the truth, speaking the truth, and letting the chips fall where they may. It is my hope that On Semiconductor finds within itself the integrity to see the corporation truthfully as it is and not what it proclaims to the world to be.

I wish On Semiconductor well as it confronts future challenges and opportunities.

4. "Workplace"

Pros

Fantastic place to work, collaborative environment

Cons

No cons for me, great place to learn for intern

Advice to Management

Keep going!

5. "Great Company!"

Pros

Time Off worked very well.

Cons

Days can seem long but if you stay busy you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Employees need to be paid more.

6. "Intern"

I have been working at ON Semiconductor part-time

Pros

It's good. It is a great experience. I have learned so many things about industry. I recommend working here.

Cons

I lucked out and found a great group to work with. I had real projects, but not all interns were as fortunate as I.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep up the great work with interns. They could have more flexible start and end dates for internships.

7. "Good Semiconductor Company"

Pros

HR is very nice.
    Manager is nice too and also well organized.
    Colleagues are smart, hard-working and with a sense of humor.
    I learn a lot from the team.

Cons

Semiconductor companies are going down during these years. Hope ON will survive and continue growth.

8. "ON semiconductor"

Pros

Great work culture,great mentors,good HR policy with respect to intern program

Cons

I worked at their Idaho sites,which are like small towns.

9. "Principal Design Engineer"

Pros

High Level Work, skilled workforce

Cons

R&D support from management can be lacking.

10. "Overall good"

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly and generally positive work environment

Cons

Changed org structure for field teams