ONEOK Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ONEOK President & CEO Terry K. Spencer
Terry K. Spencer

Pros
  • Great work life balance and plenty of opportunity to move around (in 5 reviews)

• Great Company, lots of encouragement for contract employees to apply for full time positions (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The one person is soo right about market based pay (in 9 reviews)

• Market based pay is well under actual market (in 8 reviews)

"If your not a yes man then forget it."

Current Employee - Operator in Mont Belvieu, TX
    Current Employee - Operator in Mont Belvieu, TX

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Its a pay check and a JOB. The benefits are better than having none at all.

Cons

Everything! Micromanagement from the top (Tulsa office cause they are KINGS) down. The Market based pay structor is used to not give any raises or salary adjustments. According to Oneok the market has not changed for 2 years and for some 4 years. Other companies have giving 3 to 3.5% COL's. If your not in the clique your're an expendable employee. Some have lost 5 to 7% bring home pay since we have been with Oneok. Not competitive as far as operations group, for the industry standard.

Advice to Management

Get all the Ex-Koch and Enron folks out of the top positions in Tulsa. Koch was a horrible company to work for and Oneok has just be a name change and the culture has stayed the same.

"Any one who gave 5 stars is lying."

Former Employee - Senior Operator in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Operator in Baytown, TX

I worked at ONEOK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a pay check to put food on the table. There are no other pros unless you live close to the job and have a 5 minute commute.

Cons

Insurance is almost 500 dollars a month for employee+ family and it doesn't cover anything. They have the lowest grade plan with BCBS. That was verbatim from a BCBS rep.
    Pay is 10 dollars an hour behind market standard on the lowest end.
    Hard work and loyalty are not rewarded. I went 2 years with not even a cost of living raise even with exceptional evaluation.
    You are penalized if you use the open door policy.
    Management hold raises to further line their own pocket. If you are management u get big bonuses when budgets are met.
    Promote people that have no clue about the job and over look others that have 10+ years experience and are top performers.
    There's a reason Oneok can't keep top tier people. They want people who haven't a clue and will work for the cheapest. I've seen it time and time again.
    DO NOT BELIEVE ANY 5 STAR REVIEWS. I worked for them for 7 years and have seen the inside working first hand. Management is horrible. The 5 star and 4 star reviews were not put up there until I brought this site to their attention when I show them the 2 star rating they had from their employees. Shortly after, those reviews magically poped up.
    They are not anything like any other oil and gas company. Oneok does not appreciate their employees period.
    The one person is soo right about market based pay. IT'S A SCAM. Somehow the market never changes and your always right where you should be according to Oneok.

Advice to Management

Pull your head out.

3. "Right of Way Agent"

I worked at ONEOK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Payed on time. Used quality contractors.

Cons

Budget contraints, Bad management, Project Manager was inexperienced

5. "look elsewhere"

I worked at ONEOK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good entry work experience, good starting vacation time

Cons

very little formal training,conflicting sources of work related information, if your not a "yes man" type of person stay away, If you choose to keep your head down ,mouth shut hide and in the crowd, you may not get hammered.so so benefits

Advice to Management

work on ways to keep the good team members

6. "Wouldn't refer anyone to work at Oneok"

Current Employee - Executive Support in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Executive Support in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation and benefits are good. Flexible schedules are offered, but not to everyone.

Cons

Top heavy company. The company does not face issues head-on if those issues involve anyone above a manager. Very high risk of lawsuits by employees because they allow harassment and bullying by upper management

Advice to Management

Show more concern for those who work hard, and less concern for protecting those that bully their way up the ladder.

"Former ORM employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I worked at ONEOK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and decent benefits, a lot of good people depending on what group you worked in. Stable company and have a large market share. Work is very easy and you'll likely be overpaid for what you're doing.

Cons

ONEOK Rockies Midstream is the worst group/company within ONEOK as far as politics go. Can't rely on anyone in management to back you up or support you in any way. They do not try and help employees and the management feels they can make employees do whatever and go wherever they want. I once spent 21 days away from home when I could have been working 30 minutes from my house. Lawsuits have been filed against certain people in management yet there has been nothing done to fix the situation. I was forced into a different job than I was hired for shortly after my start date and I was given no say in the matter. I eventually was forced to resign for my own sanity after multiple solutions were offered to improve working conditions for multiple people and they fell on deaf ears. Management follows company policies when they work in their favor, but if they don't, then the "policy" is whatever they say it is. Management is not held accountable for their actions.

Advice to Management

There are a few people within ONEOK that need to go. Some under qualified over paid people were hired during the boom times and they are incompetent at their job and have no idea how to manage people, especially high performers.

"It is a work enviroment of friendly people"

Former Employee - Pipeline Controller in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Pipeline Controller in Tulsa, OK

Pros

Friendly work environment. Laid back.

Cons

Low pay and there is a good old boy system in place, so getting promoted is not likely unless you are part of the fore-mentioned group.

Advice to Management

Be open to letting those who have the proper education and experience to advance without trying to cling to an employee because you are afraid to have to re-train a replacement.

9. "Position is a glorified secretary, not what it was hyped to be."

Current Employee - Multi-Skilled Technician-Pipeline in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Multi-Skilled Technician-Pipeline in Chicago, IL

Pros

Do not see your supervisor for months at a time.
    Make your own schedule.
    Insurance covers domestic partners.
    Still give bonuses and shares of stock.

Cons

Compensation - salary, profit sharing, insurance compared to other pipelines in the area substantially lacking.
    Still has "Enron" mentality.

Advice to Management

It costs more to work in IL, IN, and WI. Do not base salaries on OK.
    People are leaving over salaries.

""Myth of the Market Based Pay System""

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

2 weeks vac from start
    Average benefits

Cons

Where do I start......
    Market Based pay is a big sham. VP sat in the last meeting and simply stated that ONEOK will never be the top pay in any market. If you are just looking for top pay then ONEOK is not for you Per our VP.Then why is our CEO the top paid executive in Tulsa, OK? If I sat in a room with members from other energy companies in tulsa that do the same job I would be embarrased to bring up what I make yearly for the job. Your lower level supervisor's won't argue with you during reviews as they know this is true and losing people left and right because of it.

Keep trying to push wellness programs to finally catch up to what the rest of the industry has had or been available for the last 5 years. Oneok just talks and preaches wellness. They don't offer anything you couldn't go out and get on your own dime and probably should. Should offer some benefit dollars for keeping fit and maintaining good health.

Advice to Management

Bring up the payscale for your employee's that still perform and even try to go above and beyond. Most are still trying to do an exceptional job for you. Let the folks that simply show up and sit on their rumps reap the supposed benefits of the market based pay and reward the people that you would like to see stick around and devolop into to leaders of this company. Stop bringing in new hire trainee's at with '0" experience at pay that people with 5-10 years are barely at. Makes no sense and only angers the people that have fought,kicked, and scratched for every raise they have received.

"A disappointing experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at ONEOK full-time

Pros

Reputable for being a company that is difficult to gain employment from, indicates a prestigious environment. I was pleased with my pay and most of my co-workers were genuinely wonderful people. Their vacation policy is better than most companies because they give you extra hours of vacation depending on your years of experience in that field.

Cons

I took the job knowing it wouldn't be my preferred working environment, but hopeful I would move into a different group in a relatively short amount of time. They changed the transfer policy to a one-year waiting period within a few months of my employment but made exceptions at their own discretion. Other policies were similarly left up to manager discretion which allowed disparity in treatment of employees across departments; this caused contention and created morale issues. Their benefits appear to be fruitful on the surface but when claims were paid you realized the lack of actual coverage. They terminate insurance coverage on the day you leave vs. the end of the month, which is outside the norm of typical group insurance benefits.

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback from your employees and pay close attention to turnover statistics in each group and department. Assess the information and make decisions based on that data. Keep an open mind and always explore the perceptions of your employees before making decisions that will ultimately harm the working relationship beyond repair. I experienced that frustration firsthand but also heard negative feedback from retirees in that regard.