ONEOK Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

ONEOK President & CEO Terry K. Spencer
Terry K. Spencer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They're flexible with work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Great company with a wealth of talent (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Market based pay is well under actual market (in 10 reviews)

• Market based pay is similar to government pay scale with the exception of no COL increases (in 9 reviews)

"If your not a yes man then forget it."

Current Employee - Operator in Mont Belvieu, TX
    Current Employee - Operator in Mont Belvieu, TX

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Its a pay check and a JOB. The benefits are better than having none at all.

Cons

Everything! Micromanagement from the top (Tulsa office cause they are KINGS) down. The Market based pay structor is used to not give any raises or salary adjustments. According to Oneok the market has not changed for 2 years and for some 4 years. Other companies have giving 3 to 3.5% COL's. If your not in the clique your're an expendable employee. Some have lost 5 to 7% bring home pay since we have been with Oneok. Not competitive as far as operations group, for the industry standard.

Advice to Management

Get all the Ex-Koch and Enron folks out of the top positions in Tulsa. Koch was a horrible company to work for and Oneok has just be a name change and the culture has stayed the same.

"Any one who gave 5 stars is lying."

Former Employee - Senior Operator in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Operator in Baytown, TX

I worked at ONEOK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a pay check to put food on the table. There are no other pros unless you live close to the job and have a 5 minute commute.

Cons

Insurance is almost 500 dollars a month for employee+ family and it doesn't cover anything. They have the lowest grade plan with BCBS. That was verbatim from a BCBS rep.
    Pay is 10 dollars an hour behind market standard on the lowest end.
    Hard work and loyalty are not rewarded. I went 2 years with not even a cost of living raise even with exceptional evaluation.
    You are penalized if you use the open door policy.
    Management hold raises to further line their own pocket. If you are management u get big bonuses when budgets are met.
    Promote people that have no clue about the job and over look others that have 10+ years experience and are top performers.
    There's a reason Oneok can't keep top tier people. They want people who haven't a clue and will work for the cheapest. I've seen it time and time again.
    DO NOT BELIEVE ANY 5 STAR REVIEWS. I worked for them for 7 years and have seen the inside working first hand. Management is horrible. The 5 star and 4 star reviews were not put up there until I brought this site to their attention when I show them the 2 star rating they had from their employees. Shortly after, those reviews magically poped up.
    They are not anything like any other oil and gas company. Oneok does not appreciate their employees period.
    The one person is soo right about market based pay. IT'S A SCAM. Somehow the market never changes and your always right where you should be according to Oneok.

Advice to Management

Pull your head out.

3. "Right of Way Agent"

I worked at ONEOK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Payed on time. Used quality contractors.

Cons

Budget contraints, Bad management, Project Manager was inexperienced

4. "look elsewhere"

I worked at ONEOK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good entry work experience, good starting vacation time

Cons

very little formal training,conflicting sources of work related information, if your not a "yes man" type of person stay away, If you choose to keep your head down ,mouth shut hide and in the crowd, you may not get hammered.so so benefits

Advice to Management

work on ways to keep the good team members

"Wouldn't refer anyone to work at Oneok"

Current Employee - Executive Support in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Executive Support in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation and benefits are good. Flexible schedules are offered, but not to everyone.

Cons

Top heavy company. The company does not face issues head-on if those issues involve anyone above a manager. Very high risk of lawsuits by employees because they allow harassment and bullying by upper management

Advice to Management

Show more concern for those who work hard, and less concern for protecting those that bully their way up the ladder.

"Former ORM employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I worked at ONEOK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and decent benefits, a lot of good people depending on what group you worked in. Stable company and have a large market share. Work is very easy and you'll likely be overpaid for what you're doing.

Cons

ONEOK Rockies Midstream is the worst group/company within ONEOK as far as politics go. Can't rely on anyone in management to back you up or support you in any way. They do not try and help employees and the management feels they can make employees do whatever and go wherever they want. I once spent 21 days away from home when I could have been working 30 minutes from my house. Lawsuits have been filed against certain people in management yet there has been nothing done to fix the situation. I was forced into a different job than I was hired for shortly after my start date and I was given no say in the matter. I eventually was forced to resign for my own sanity after multiple solutions were offered to improve working conditions for multiple people and they fell on deaf ears. Management follows company policies when they work in their favor, but if they don't, then the "policy" is whatever they say it is. Management is not held accountable for their actions.

Advice to Management

There are a few people within ONEOK that need to go. Some under qualified over paid people were hired during the boom times and they are incompetent at their job and have no idea how to manage people, especially high performers.

"IT Technology"

I have been working at ONEOK full-time

Pros

Nice People
    Nice Building
    Nice Parking Garage

Cons

Management is clueless
    Top Heavy
    Silos
    Unwilling to change
    Too many leaders without knowledge

Advice to Management

Get off the executive floor. Talk to the people actually doing the work rather than the leaders that provide lip service.

8. "Pipeline and storage field operator"

Former Employee - Pipeline and Storage Field Operator in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Pipeline and Storage Field Operator in Joliet, IL

I worked at ONEOK (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sort of ok pay and decent experience in the pipeline industry, the people I worked with were mostly all nice

Cons

Management was horrible, the area manager wouldn't allow the supervisor to do what he wanted to or needed to do, I was told at least 8 times in the last 6 months I worked there that I would be getting a raise but never did, no cost of living raises, in the last 6 years I got one 3% increase, in my area the pay was low almost 10 dollars an hour lower than similar company's operators make, also there is no real pay scale, it's a range 61k-91k people that had been there for over 20 years were not even to the top of the scale, where almost every other company in the area tops all their employees out after 2-4 years

Advice to Management

Pay what your competitors do, and give cost of living like every other decent company does, come up with an actual pay scale not just a huge range that no one ever reaches the top of

9. "would give it no star's but it wouldn't let me"

Current Employee - NGP Pipeline Control in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - NGP Pipeline Control in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None , other than it's a job to show up to and get paid every 2 week's. If you're a college grad and looking to get experience in the industry come on over, we'll get you trained up so you can apply elsewhere for true "market" pay.

Cons

Some of the most severe micromanaging that I've ever been around. If you work here expect armchair quarterbacks to constantly tell you how they can do your job better than you ever could even though they've never done the position. Way over thought processes and documentation on the most simplest task's take away from the actual scope of the job that we do. I could go on but the review's left here are some of the same ideal's and thoughts that I have. I would say that any positive review's here are most likely HR or Manager's that were instructed to leave them.

Advice to Management

You are NOT the smartest person in the room.

If YOU'RE not going to follow CRM and provide the most basic necessities that are written into procedure than why do you expect me to follow them? Basic AC/Temp adjustment shouldn't be that hard to provide when you have a staffed 24/7 control room. Management's advice to add some "fans" if you're hot isn't what's written in the CRM plan. A 2 am fatigue alarm shouldn't be answered by your controller's when mitigating fatigue as "I climbed a chair to pull a lightbulb in order to dim the light's". When the actual written plan call's for lighting adjustment. All things that "you" say your provide but clearly do not and have no plans to. We are not compliant and should DOT ever come in and audit your control group expect them to say the same.

True work life balance they promote when hiring isn't here if you actually have to staff something that's not a salaried position. If you are an hourly employee and something goes down they do not care if it's your anniversary, Bday, Christmas,ETC... you are expected to go out and take care of it. The true work/life balance is enjoyed by salaried position's that phone it in on Friday's , day before holiday's, and when they feel like it(supervisor's , managers, directors).

Speed up the hiring process. If you know someone is retiring , hire before they leave so that it doesn't leave your dept shorthanded. The wait and "hope"approach isn't working and never has.

10. "IT Department"

Current Employee - Techni in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Techni in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Experience and a paycheck, that is about it.....

Cons

High stress, high pressure and high turnover which unfortunately brings out the worst in people....Revolving door of contractors, promises of conversion that never happens...Minimal training and under staffed due to constant and slow rehiring...

As a contractor, no time off, no benefits. no insurance for the duration of employment.

Advice to Management

Management young and immature..grow up....