ONEOK Reviews | Glassdoor

ONEOK Reviews

Updated June 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great work life balance and plenty of opportunity to move around (in 5 reviews)

• Great company with a wealth of talent (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The one person is soo right about market based pay (in 9 reviews)

• Market based pay is well under actual market (in 8 reviews)

"Former ORM employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I worked at ONEOK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and decent benefits, a lot of good people depending on what group you worked in. Stable company and have a large market share. Work is very easy and you'll likely be overpaid for what you're doing.

Cons

ONEOK Rockies Midstream is the worst group/company within ONEOK as far as politics go. Can't rely on anyone in management to back you up or support you in any way. They do not try and help employees and the management feels they can make employees do whatever and go wherever they want. I once spent 21 days away from home when I could have been working 30 minutes from my house. Lawsuits have been filed against certain people in management yet there has been nothing done to fix the situation. I was forced into a different job than I was hired for shortly after my start date and I was given no say in the matter. I eventually was forced to resign for my own sanity after multiple solutions were offered to improve working conditions for multiple people and they fell on deaf ears. Management follows company policies when they work in their favor, but if they don't, then the "policy" is whatever they say it is. Management is not held accountable for their actions.

Advice to Management

There are a few people within ONEOK that need to go. Some under qualified over paid people were hired during the boom times and they are incompetent at their job and have no idea how to manage people, especially high performers.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Regulatory in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Regulatory in Tulsa, OK

Pros

ONEOK is a great company to work for. They have performed very well during the recent downturn, and the management truly cares about the long term future of the companies and employees. Pay is fair

Cons

It is a larger company than I was used to, so it takes longer to change things that is ideal, but I am sure that is not unique to ONEOK.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Wouldn't refer anyone to work at Oneok"

Current Employee - Executive Support in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Executive Support in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation and benefits are good. Flexible schedules are offered, but not to everyone.

Cons

Top heavy company. The company does not face issues head-on if those issues involve anyone above a manager. Very high risk of lawsuits by employees because they allow harassment and bullying by upper management

Advice to Management

Show more concern for those who work hard, and less concern for protecting those that bully their way up the ladder.

"Poor Salary Administration"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Pros

Excellent CEO and Executive VP's. Great strategists who have kept the company in good financial condition during the industry downturn.

Sickness benefits and vacation policy are very good benefits.

Cons

1. The company is top heavy - there are too many Directors and Vice Presidents. Directors function as managers. 2. Below Director level, base pay is a big problem for many employees. The market based pay system, when designed, was poorly understood and many in top and mid level management believe the market rate, which is the average of what your competitors pay, is the maximum that employees should ever receive. They are very reluctant to let anybody make much more than the market rate. The upper half of the salary range - which is from the market rate to maximum - should be used too. It is for top performers who have considerable experience and/or expertise which adds real value to the company. The salary ranges themselves are actually competitive in most markets, but that doesn't matter if the actual pay employees receive is not.
    The formal, annual performance appraisal process was subjective and didn't tie to the amount of increase an employee received. However, doing away with it is a step in the wrong direction considering the compensation problems that persist at ONEOK. Pay and performance are tied together as far as employees are concerned. The formal, annual performance appraisal process should be improved so that it is not subjective but measures how well the employee performs the major functions of their job in quantitative terms. The "score" should then be directly tied to the amount of increase an employee receives. A lot of unfairness that occurs could be eliminated that way. There are not enough checks and balances on pay as it relates to performance.
    Top management needs to encourage the use of the entire salary range, not just the first half. HR needs to develop and provide the tools management needs to improve salary administration. HR should approve every pay action before it can go into effect, in order to ensure fairness. In my opinion, HR is currently a risk averse function, A major change in philosophy is needed to make it a true strategic partner that supports business needs.

Advice to Management

Audit where employees are in their salary ranges as it relates to their educational level and years of experience in their field, not just with ONEOK, and as it relates to their performance ratings in the past. I think you will find that you need to spend some money on corrective actions, but a lot of it could come from trimming the Officer rolls. Consider the suggestions in the section above, because doing all those things is what other companies get from their HR Departments. It isn't enough to develop pay plans to ensure external competitiveness, but not administer them to ensure internal equity. A consistent theme throughout the "cons" listed by current and former employees of ONEOK on this site is that pay is a big problem.

5. "Training Program Hire"

I worked at ONEOK full-time

Pros

I came in through the college recruitment process and went through the 3 month training program. Overall a good experience. Super friendly people. Great retirement plan. Free parking in the company parking garage.

Cons

Capped vacation, not very competitive compensation, not a fast moving dynamic company (tough to be at its size), lots of tenured employees which makes upward mobility seem quite tough, very corporate america with dull office space

Advice to Management

Create a mission statement and sense of values. Mandate at least quarterly feedback sessions from managers. Create a framework for assessing an individuals performance that can be applied across the company.

6. "Yeah"

I worked at ONEOK part-time

Pros

Great job, experience,people, benefits, and projects

Cons

Travel, cubicle, other things but not bad at all

7. "Conservative, but stable."

Current Employee - Staff Auditor I in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Staff Auditor I in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ONEOK is a conservative midstream energy business headquartered in Tulsa, OK. Working at ONEOK isn't necessarily the most exciting job, but it does provide great benefits with modest pay. ONEOK does not believe in layoffs so as long as you perform to the expectations set for you, you should have no problem holding down the job.

Cons

The price of crude oil drastically effects the price of ONEOK's stock, and the price of crude isn't predicted to rise anytime soon, so there's that. Pay is below average for similar positions in the market.

8. "Field/Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

interface with various internal dept not limited to commercial, accounting, measurement and operations

Cons

most projects are not in Tulsa so there is a lot of traveling involved

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Instrument Technician in Casper, WY
    Current Employee - Instrument Technician in Casper, WY

Pros

Oneok has been great place to work, I have enjoyed feeling I have a voice in our company procedures and designs. Oneok has recently adopted a Diversity and Inclusion program to exand on this already existing culture.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of direction and follow through in the local facilities.

"Senior Plant Operator"

Former Employee - Senior Gas Plant Operator in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Gas Plant Operator in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at ONEOK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to gain knowledge on how natural gas is processed. Great benefits and profit sharing. Good performance equals good raises.

Cons

It does get cold outside and you will have to work in it whether its snowing or raining. Being on call is sometimes a lengthy cant wait for you to be off call experience.

Advice to Management

Offer more training. With the majority of the workforce being hired is in their 20's make sure there is a way for them to get the training they need while the old workforce is still around to teach them.