OPN Architects Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 23, 2017

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Daniel Thies

1. "OPN is a great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Architect in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Architect in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at OPN Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

OPN has a innovative management team that allows employees creative freedom and provides a flexible work schedule. OPN has a great studio culture and attracts great clients to work for. OPN hires smart, talented, and enthusiastic people which creates a fun work atmosphere. Projects at OPN are challenging and rewarding and opportunities to learn about new technologies and products happen daily. Employees at all levels embrace a work-hard play-hard lifestyle. Fun activities are provided by the firm including parties celebrating team accomplishments as well as a yearly retreat visiting nearby cities to view great Architecture, discuss strategic goals, and mingle with peers.

Cons

Collaboration between the Cedar Rapids office and the Des Moines office happens more often at the Upper Management Level. In the future, OPN could find creative ways to better integrate the two studios for sharing of information and ideas; and also creating teams with members from both offices' based on team-members strengths and career goals.

Advice to Management

Management at OPN showed tremendous trust in me as an employee, allowed me creative freedom, and provided amazing opportunities to expand my skill set. If Management continues to offer these opportunities to current/ future employees then OPN will continue to be a great company to work for!

2. "Best place to work"

Current Employee - Architect in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at OPN Architects full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The studio environment at OPN is vibrant and exciting! There is so much collaboration in our office and the energy is amazing! I couldn't enjoy the people that work here more; they are like a second family for me. There have been so many great opportunities for me at OPN and this firm has helped me grow considerably in my career. I have been rewarded graciously for my work here. The Partners at OPN realize the efforts and hours put in to this career and compensate accordingly. I continue to love my job and the people I work with. We have a very casual work environment and flex hours, which I really enjoy. I am very excited about the design of structures OPN is creating and where we are headed in the future!

Cons

There will be good days and bad days at any job and one must understand first the career in architecture is a “professional” career and will require more time than others. There is always a work-life balance that people need to find.

Advice to Management

keep pushing into the future through technologies, communication and design, and make OPN the best it can be

3. "OPN truly is a great place to work - Inspired, Motivated, Dedicated."

I have been working at OPN Architects full-time

Pros

Several years of work experience elsewhere maybe provides me with some perspective that others might be lacking. That said, I can comfortably say that OPN is the best place that I have ever worked, professionally or otherwise. OPN is a smart, collaborative, and extremely creative group. The company offers tangible as well as intangible benefits that some utilize more effectively than others. We have flex hours, a flexible dress code, and fantastic technology that other companies may not be aware even exist. Internal committees are regularly assembled to tackle internal projects to ensure that we are doing everything the best that we can. OPN also encourages and accommodates involvement in the community in effort to give back. I believe that OPN is dedicated to doing the right thing.

Cons

Our attention to detail and our drive to perfection can result in hard work at times. While this can be difficult, I have yet to feel that this goes unappreciated. This is not a place where someone else will take credit for your work, we work together as a team and are rewarded as a team. Also, the dress code honestly may be a bit lax for a professional environment...

Advice to Management

You are heading in a great direction, keep it up!

5. "Work Hard. Work Smart. Have Fun."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

There are a host of creative and dedicated people working at OPN; people who have vision and integrity and genuinely want to make an impact on their world. Hard work is expected, but it's also appreciated. Within the constraints of a highly-demanding discipline, OPN adopts a very humanistic approach to work. We have great parties and retreats and management facilitates casual opportunities to engage both offices. It's a fun place to be. That being said, if you don't like working hard, you won't like it here.

Cons

You will work long hours. Sometimes you will feel drained. The collaborative nature of the work means that sometimes your vision or idea will lose or you'll feel like you're spinning your wheels. Employee benefits could be improved. There's an unacknowledged reliance on hierarchy.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people you have. Look for opportunities to foster dialogue in the studio.

6. "OPN Architects- Long hours for mediocre pay."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Good Architecture Firm doing interesting projects with decent design. Good place to cut your teeth. Tried to have a family atmosphere until the economy got tight. Employees and firm are very involved with local charities. Good work atmosphere- feels like an architecture firm. Some advancement opportunities until PM level then very narrow bottle neck.

Cons

Limited opportunities to design unless you're 'chosen'. Plan to work 50+ hours per week or more. Extremely long work weeks are the culture of the company. They will burn you out then throw you away. They especially push new, young employees into very long work weeks. Compensation mediocre, bonuses do not even cover 1/4 of extra hours. You work to pay for your Ford so Principals can drive their 5 Series BMWs.

Advice to Management

Spread the design work around to more people. Stop scheduling projects expecting people to work 50+ hours every week. Pay straight time for overtime then you might start to realize the amount of 'free' work you expect from employees.

7. "Fun Office"

I worked at OPN Architects as an intern

Pros

-Management always had a job for me to do
    -Superiors that I worked under were fun, funny, kind, helpful
    -Office culture is fun
    -Office building is fantastic, in a wonderful location
    -Principles are very kind to the lowest level interns and know who you are

Cons

-Experimental to a point, the design aesthetic and ambition is pretty conservative.

8. "Student Intern"

Pros

The company culture is great!! friendly, and all involved!!

Cons

Not that I want to mention. All great!!

9. "Invaluable High School Internship"

I worked at OPN Architects as an intern

Pros

OPN gave me the opportunity to perform a 90 hour internship through a program put on by my high school. An added bonus was that OPN was not required to pay for my time, but did in fact pay me an hourly rate.

OPN took me in and gave me a great experience. The Architect that was assigned to me did a great job of getting me to see a variety of what OPN does. I was set up to shadow/talk with every discipline in the firm, from architects, interior designers, construction manager, spec writer and more.

For how little benefit I gave OPN, they started my career off on the right track, with good experience to put on my blank resume at the time. Although I ended up in a somewhat different field (Civil Engineering) from what I was looking for at the time, the experience was very important and helpful for obtaining future internship experience, jobs and my current career.

Cons

I did not see any negatives during my time at OPN.

Advice to Management

I hope you are continuing to offer opportunities such as the one I was able to have. It gave me a boost to my resume that has lead me to where I am today. Although I only worked for OPN for about 100 hours, I am happy to have been apart of OPN and also happy to run into something that OPN has worked on in my time since.

10. "Great place to work..."

I have been working at OPN Architects full-time

Pros

OPN is a great place to work. The partners are approachable and listen and care about you, as individuals, and as members of the team. There are lots of "extras" that happen, like company picnics, celebrations, retreats, learning days, etc., that promote collaboration, team-building, and time to enjoy the hard work that happens! The work that we do is very diverse, giving employees exposure to lots of different project scopes. Employees are encouraged to champion things that they are passionate about, whether it be green-building or health and fitness. Lots of opportunities for growth, education, and success.

Cons

There are times that work is crazy....lots to accomplish and deadlines to meet, but this is because we get terrific projects and we want to produce great results for our clients.

11. "OPN does great work"

I have been working at OPN Architects full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flex hours ha been implemented for over a year now and have greatly assisted in balancing work and life. If you have a haircut, or a Dr. appoinment or a sick kid, you can take care of it and there are no issues. There is a trust within the studio that allows you to work how you need to to get the work done and this did not exist 5+ years ago - it is really nice!

Cons

We do work a lot of hours, but it is because the culture expects you to do your best work - we WANT to do our best work and will do what it takes to do it, which unfortunatley means working some tough hours every now and then.