OSI Group LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Shelly Lavin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Quality Assurance Supervisor"

I have been working at OSI Group LLC full-time

Pros

There is a lot of things why I am still at this job. This is what I studied and graduated on. I love the environment, the people, management, technology applied in production lines, etc.

Cons

There are no many things I can share about this job. Probably the only bad thing (and I don't consider this bad personally) is that I am ready to move to the next position up but I can see that my manager is going to stay there for a little longer than what I expected.

"Management Employee"

I have been working at OSI Group LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at the plant level, for the most part are friendly

Cons

There is no career growth opportunities. Pay is very low. Corporate is full of people who make assumptions, jump to conclusions, and do not know how to run a business. Overall hostile and stressful environment.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings. Everyone is over worked. OSI Group is a stressful place to work.

"Employee Loyalty Wanted, Employer Loyalty-Not!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chicago, IL

I worked at OSI Group LLC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Tons of hours if you want it.

Cons

Employees spread too thin. Competent employees over worked to incompetency. Expected to work 60+ hours a week for months on end.

Advice to Management

Morality is very low. You think you are doing a great job, but the morale and attitude is horrible.

"Really Bad Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

I worked at OSI Group LLC full-time

Pros

I think one of the only good things about me working here was that it was close to my house. I did meet some nice people there, but that is a pretty low bar of expectation of a place. There were other good things about working here, but nothing that couldn't easily be found at most other companies in most other industries - so really not worth talking about. Aside from a free lunch everyday, from my perspective not much sets this company apart in a good way.

Cons

I believe the root of my own bad experience here stemmed from my job not being as-advertised and having a very poor manager. That experience was unique to me and I am not going into it because there are other significant issues with this company that I wish I had known prior to accepting a position with them.

In many regards, the way this company operates is dated. Old-school management tactics are on full display, lots of chest-beating and bravado. Company-wide safety is lacking compared to the numerous other facilities I've been to. Technical infrastructure is severally dated and there does not seem to be a will to invest in meaningful improvements to it - servers, phones, emails will go down more often then they should. It sounds goofy, but just take a tour through the halls of the building and see how dated the vast majority of the building is. These things are ingrained in the company's culture and rightfully will turnoff many people who have worked in more "evolved" workplaces.

I would not say that this company provides much in the way of mentorship for its employees/managers. I would not say this company is flexible in regard to employee life balance, in fact quite rigid. In my experience the benefits and compensation this company offers is below what can be found elsewhere in the industry. I did not experience a place where I felt as though managers/leaders around me were invested in my success.

Advice to Management

Beats me. I believe there are systemic issues with how this company is managed. I think it works for them in the sense that the company grows and continues to do business, but that does not necessarily equate to a place where someone actually wants to work.

"Please STAY AWAY! This is not the place to work!"

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in West Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at OSI Group LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of overtime. Great health insurance.

Cons

Work life balance. Low pay. Cold and wet conditions. Management is a joke. Neither management nor the employees care about the quality of the product being produced.

Advice to Management

Close the plant.

"Horrible place to work"

I worked at OSI Group LLC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free lunch. People are nice to support.. Original manager was great. Very smart and good mentor.

Cons

New manager destroyed my department. Could not manage a paper bag. Has anger management issues. Micromanage all projects.

Advice to Management

Don't believe the BS. Make sure employees are treated fairly and not berated.

"Good place to start your career""

Current Employee - Account Manager in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Aurora, IL

I have been working at OSI Group LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a great learning opportunities as the company continue to grow consistently. The employees are great. The leadership is very strong and they strive to develop good work ethics.

Cons

Long hours at times and possible weekend work. However, Overtime pay is good compare to other companies in the industry

Advice to Management

Continue to find and promote the leadership that lives our operating principles.

"Cost Accountant"

I have been working at OSI Group LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers with a family feel.

Cons

Work/life balance, advancement opportunities, career development, recognition and salary.

Advice to Management

Promote and develop internally. Reward and recognize top performers. Learn how to work with all types of people, not everyone responds well to the old 1980's management style.

"Quality Assurance"

Current Employee - Quality Manager in Oakland, IA
    Current Employee - Quality Manager in Oakland, IA

I have been working at OSI Group LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, plenty of work to keep you busy, nice co-workers

Cons

Company uses middle management as scapegoats for their bad decisions, corporate resources are ignorant of what is happening in the plant and provide little helop.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people.

10. "OSI Process Engineering Intern"

Former Employee - Process Intern in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Process Intern in Aurora, IL

Pros

Good location and coworkers, great work atmosphere

Cons

Lower salary and not much actual engineering work

Advice to Management

Management made you a priority as an intern