OSI Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

OSI Systems Chairman, President, and CEO Deepak Chopra
Deepak Chopra

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • At that - no one gets more than 2% (in 3 reviews)

""...never experienced a worse company""

Former Employee - Senior Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer

I worked at OSI Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The engineers, technicians and project managers that I worked with locally were a highly intelligent, hard-working and creative group. Sadly, nearly every one quickly reached a level of intolerable frustration and left for greener pastures. I've talked with many of them; with well over 150 years of combined work experience, the consensus is they have never experienced a worse company. Not a single person I spoke with is sorry to have left.

Cons

This Indian-owned company with offices in the US (originally Optical Systems of India, now officially renamed "OSI") has intensely short-sighted management, directed by a myopic CEO who is famous within the company for his erratically uninformed temper tantrums. Management does not stay focused on anything very long, and this is reflected in the fact that quarterly performance is given far greater importance than annual - which leads to booking orders from one quarter to the next just to disguise natural fluctuations which would otherwise lead to boardroom tirades. Business is often fast and loose, which is how they got in trouble with the TSA on multiple occasions, and were even temporarily barred from screening system sales to the US government.

It is often repeated that workers are a merely a commodity in India and that is very evident at Rapiscan and OSI. If you are not part of CEO Deepak Chopra's family, you are expendable. There is little loyalty to employees, and layoffs abound. From nearly the moment that our small company was acquired, there was a push to transition our knowledge (and I quote) "to lower-cost engineers in India" and "reduce workforce here in the US". Within 2 years, nearly everyone saw the writing on the wall and left or were laid off.

Advice to Management

Company culture starts at the top, and this company's culture is severely broken. Deepak and family should step down, and upper management should be replaced by people who are more qualified. Nepotism breeds dysfunction, discontent, and ineptitude.

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

Pros

I have nothing good to say about this company, I was extremely disappointed in them.

Cons

A unique company with differing opinions on how things should be run. Owner berates subordinates publicly with foul language. This company is run like a mom and pop store instead of a multi-million dollar corporation.

Advice to Management

Retire or give responsibility to subordinates to run their respective divisions. Also...you have to spend money to make money.

"Senior Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at OSI Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Direct deposit paycheck in your account

Cons

CEO demeans Sr employees. Swears and threatens employees in front of other Sr management.

I will cut your .... off and stuff them down your throat until you choke to death (said in front of other management at a monthly business review)

Advice to Management

None
    You are driving the people you need away

"OSI Systems"

I worked at OSI Systems full-time

Pros

There are lot of politics going on OSI

Cons

Once you are not in with their politics or click, you will be laid off.

"Very unprofessional"

Former Employee - Former Senior Management
    Former Employee - Former Senior Management

I worked at OSI Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of work to be done

Cons

Has been known to not follow regulatory requirements...less than honest with employees

Advice to Management

Acquire new senior management personnel

"This company is cheap. Like "make you buy your own pencils" kind of cheap."

Former Employee - (Generic IT Worker) in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - (Generic IT Worker) in Issaquah, WA

I worked at OSI Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sometimes management leaves you alone.

Cons

They will stab you in the back as far as salary goes.
    There are no bonuses and rarely a raise. At that - no one gets more than 2%
    Their only way of motivating you is therefore, "You'll get fired if you don't."
    Prepare to work evenings and weekends as each department is only staffed with a skeleton crew.
    They only buy the cheapest and shoddiest equipment and then blame the employees for not making it work.

Advice to Management

There is nothing one can do. The problems start from the top down. Mohinder is a supercilious miser. JLoo gets a fat bonus by staffing only the minimum employees and never allowing raises, so he damages morale in a big way as well. His primary minion is a dwarfed pencil neck who lashes out with 'professional' temper tantrums and fires people indiscriminately. The only thing you can do is tell Mohinder to go back into retirement, get rid of the two vice presidents and the IT director. This company is built on nothing more than nepotism and being ultra cheap. Employees beware.

7. "NOT AN MNC - Look for something better. This is GOVT Office"

I worked at OSI Systems full-time

Pros

Cons

No work from home option, outdated HR policies and HR dept. No one communicates in English. Very OLD people and OLD thoughts. NO yearly BONUS. No proper Hikes."NO NO, NO,NO"
    I don't know why every senior manager need a cabin to sit. Its more like a government office.

Advice to Management

Please follow few IT companies. Do not implement your dreams here!

8. "Potentially a good company but there's many changes to be made before they get there."

Pros

It can be fun. They try to have team building activities. Anything goes at work and you don't have to hold your personality back.

Cons

Management is unprofessional and lacks communication skills. The problem stems from the top down. There's a lot of nepotism and favoritism and the only way to move up is by blindly agreeing with management despite what you think.

Advice to Management

Improve communication and try to align all the various departments and subs within the company.