OSIsoft Reviews in San Leandro, CA | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
OSIsoft CEO J. Patrick Kennedy
J. Patrick Kennedy

Pros
  • Interesting work, supportive co-workers, good work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• The company is not trendy or hip like other tech companies in the bay area, but it has lots of substance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the health benefits are great, there is no 401k match program (in 11 reviews)

• San Leandro isn't the most fun city to live in, so most people commute to work (in 12 reviews)

"Great company with friendly people and lots of technologies to work on"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart and friendly coworkers
    - Wide variety of technologies to work on
    - Loyal customer base and established reputation

Cons

- Below market compensation
    - Some stagnant or archaic looking products
    - Almost exclusively a Microsoft shop which ties us closely to Microsoft's performance
    - Pretty far behind in terms of SaaS/IaaS

Advice to Management

Provide your employees with more competitive salaries if you want to retain them. Consider branching out your tech stack beyond what Microsoft has to offer. Get your SaaS/IaaS game together. We cannot ride on the coat tails of our aging core products forever.

2. "inside Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Leandro, CA

I worked at OSIsoft (More than a year)

Pros

great team, interesting work, relaxed culture

Cons

The job wasn't that challenging

3. "Great intern experience"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in San Leandro, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in San Leandro, CA

I worked at OSIsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to work in a development team that operated on three week sprints. Got to be part of 4 sprints and in each one I took part in a different aspect of software development. In my summer working at OSIsoft, I managed to gain experience in Automation, DevOps, Feature Work and Security. The internship was well-structured as well. By starting off my internship with automation and writing tests, I got to familiarize myself with the codebase. That opened up opportunities to engage in feature work later on in the internship.

There were also a lot of fun company and intern events. I enjoyed my time here.

Cons

None really. Supervisors don't push interns very hard to do more work, but there's always more work to be done if you just be proactive and ask.

Advice to Management

Supervisors do not have to be afraid of pushing interns a bit harder, they can take it. Sometimes interns are just a bit shy.

5. "A great first job out of school"

Current Employee - Software Developer - Testing in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer - Testing in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, kind and attentive supervisors, lots flexibility in work hours/location, relaxing ambience, caring management and proximity to Bart San Leandro

Cons

The products are not the easiest to understand. If it were not for the excellent tech support team, would have made the business not as successful. Engineering may want to seriously consider lean and agile across products and teams.

"One big family"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Leandro, CA

I worked at OSIsoft (More than 5 years)

Pros

- There are various interesting projects.
    - The people working there are lovely and you will feel part of a big family.
    - As far as I can tell, they honored everything they promised.
    - They are a multinational with offices in many places -they call their system follow-the-sun. At least a while back it was not uncommon, as a way of congratulating/kudos/prizes, for employees to work out of other offices for a month or so -e.g. some people went to Singapore, German, and Australia.
    - People tend to stay with the company a long time -which somewhat uncommon and refreshing in the SF Bay Area.
    - They were transparent including on times when the company was a bit restrained wrt cash. If the company made money, they were diligent and one would say generous with bonuses.

Cons

There are issues common to companies of that size. So far as I could tell, there was no one big issue.

Advice to Management

None.

7. "Great family run company"

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

able to be flexible, good cross department job movement

Cons

no stock option plans or ownership in company development

"Good place with growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

Pros

Good work life balance
    Private Company
    Changing departments in relatively easy - if you majored in any kind of engineering (ChemE, MechE, EE, even Physics etc)
    Office is located 2 min walk from the BART stop (public transit)

Cons

Pay is not as competitive as needed for the bay area.
    You develop lots of highly specialized technical knowledge about our software that is not transferable to other companies
    Lots of growing pains right now - very poor communication between the Sales and Engineering departments - management realizes this but struggling to address it.
    Lacking good middle management
    San Leandro isn't the most fun city to live in, so most people commute to work

Advice to Management

Senior management needs more clear direction. Let Ray Hall run the ship, or get someone else in charge with a technical background.

Who is really in charge? Pat is the CEO but he's rarely around. Jenny is the President and a super nice person, but she doesn't appear to have any technical knowledge and therefore can't make decisions on her own.

We are lacking clear direction from the top down and middle managers are way too overloaded. Good rule of thumb is 8 direct reports per manager.

The industry landscape is changing, let's get leaders in place who understand this and use it to define clear goals that lead us to build better software.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with. You can do what you want to. It's a good place to work while you look for better opportunities.

Cons

Leadership is nowhere to be found. 20 year old database technology. Product is awful. They can't seem to figure out the cloud, like its something new. Kids of the owner run the company, badly. CEO checked out. Nothing works.

Advice to Management

Step aside, get rid of the people who design the products. Get some real leaders and tech people and build a relevant product.

10. "Customer Support Engineer Intern"

Former Intern - Customer Support Engineer Intern in San Leandro, CA
    Former Intern - Customer Support Engineer Intern in San Leandro, CA

I worked at OSIsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Gives you 100% freedom to learn about their product. Very laid back culture. People are fun and are very willing to help you. Also, they subsidize your lunch, which was pretty cool.

Cons

Troubleshooting their problem could sometimes get irritating after hours. Also, there is a steep learning curve, especially for a college student with limited computer background.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! It has been my best internship experience so far and I will definitely consider coming back for a full time. It was nice to be able to interact with the management as well!

11. "Organisation"

Current Employee - Business Manager in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Business Manager in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Global leader in the market, strong presence, business is growing and it's a family run business.

Cons

Micro-management, too many people trying to attract visibility only to themselves, lack of strategic thinking

Advice to Management

Retain talent and be more flexible