OSIsoft Reviews in San Leandro, CA | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
OSIsoft CEO J. Patrick Kennedy
J. Patrick Kennedy

Pros
  • Interesting work, supportive co-workers, good work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• The company is not trendy or hip like other tech companies in the bay area, but it has lots of substance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the health benefits are great, there is no 401k match program (in 11 reviews)

• San Leandro isn't the most fun city to live in, so most people commute to work (in 12 reviews)

"Good place with growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

Pros

Good work life balance
    Private Company
    Changing departments in relatively easy - if you majored in any kind of engineering (ChemE, MechE, EE, even Physics etc)
    Office is located 2 min walk from the BART stop (public transit)

Cons

Pay is not as competitive as needed for the bay area.
    You develop lots of highly specialized technical knowledge about our software that is not transferable to other companies
    Lots of growing pains right now - very poor communication between the Sales and Engineering departments - management realizes this but struggling to address it.
    Lacking good middle management
    San Leandro isn't the most fun city to live in, so most people commute to work

Advice to Management

Senior management needs more clear direction. Let Ray Hall run the ship, or get someone else in charge with a technical background.

Who is really in charge? Pat is the CEO but he's rarely around. Jenny is the President and a super nice person, but she doesn't appear to have any technical knowledge and therefore can't make decisions on her own.

We are lacking clear direction from the top down and middle managers are way too overloaded. Good rule of thumb is 8 direct reports per manager.

The industry landscape is changing, let's get leaders in place who understand this and use it to define clear goals that lead us to build better software.

2. "Overall feedback"

Current Employee - Strategic Pricing Analyst in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Strategic Pricing Analyst in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relatively easy going culture.
    Flexibility to work on projects of interest
    Smart engineers

Cons

Inertia to change
    Strong engineering culture
    Lower # of new initiatives

Advice to Management

Reduce top down involvement

"Solid company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. As a software engineer, sometimes you have to work longer hours to get things done on time, but it's never asked of you by management. In my current project, I rarely work more than 40 hours per week. Also, the company has been around for a long time and is very stable... it's never had a round of layoffs in the > 10 years I've been there. Turnover is very low compared to traditional software companies.

One thing I really like about this company is the software is used in so many industries outside of the tech sector... primarily connecting to automation control systems used for manufacturing, oil and gas, energy production, chemical, pharmaceuticals etc. Talking to our customers is like watching an episode of "How It's Made". I've learned a lot.

Cons

The company does so well because it caters to a niche set of markets that have a lot of money. It has few real competitors that can offer the same software and services. However, if a big company with a lot of resources decided they wanted to compete in these markets, the company would probably be in trouble.

Also, from a software standpoint, much of the technology being used is somewhat dated (legacy stuff) without a lot of real interesting innovation happening in many dev groups. There's some effort recently to change that however.

"Decent if unexciting place to work."

Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, people are really nice and helpful and technically very savvy. Company is stable and profitable and growing. Planned direction is, IMO, right on, and they really have the sector to themselves. Just broke ground on a new tech campus. Located right next to BART.

Cons

Few perks. San Leandro isn't tons of fun, though it seems to be on the way up.

"Customer Support Engineer"

Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in San Leandro, CA

I worked at OSIsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comfortable and relaxed work environment. Friendly and intelligent employees. Lots to learn!

Cons

Location in San Leandro is a con.

"Exceeded my expectations, and only getting better"

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a CSE we solve problems for customers, making the work very manageable and fun in a challenging/problem solving way. The company atmosphere is a good mix of hard working and professional with relaxed and casual. Good work-life balance.

This place has exceeded my expectations because there are way more opportunities than I initially realized. There are offices all over the world (albeit not huge ones), and there is the opportunity to do and exchange with another office (e.g. spend a month working in Frankfurt, Germany).

Also, effective July 2014, OSIsoft now offers 401k matching of up to $3,000, which is a new development.

The company is also growing rapidly. It has gone from 1,100 to 1,300 employees in just one year and has had sales over $350 million. The office headquarters were just renovated and a new building is about to be constructed just south of the main one (to be completed by 2017) which will create an OSIsoft campus.

Commuting is also very easy. It's right next to a BART station, and if you live in SF, the drive is not bad because it's a reverse commute so you don't have to deal with bridge traffic. I drive from the Marina and it's only 45 minutes, which is good for the bay area. It's an easy drive from anywhere in East Bay.

Cons

The product is not particularly sexy or exciting (the PI System is a plant information system that collects, stores, archives, analyzes, and displays time-series data) like the products of other bay area tech companies, however it plays a vital role behind the scenes in a whole host of industries, including pharmaceutical, mining, manufacturing, power, oil & gas, and chemicals.

Advice to Management

Make sure to keep up with the times and update products and services accordingly. Things are moving fast in tech but we seem to be keeping up.

"Intern"

Current Intern - Intern in San Leandro, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good People, Good Softwares, Good Goals

Cons

no strict deadlines for interns

Advice to Management

Stricter deadlines to interns

9. "Summer internship"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Leandro, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Leandro, CA

I worked at OSIsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Got some really good work done and have a lot to show for the internship. I was left alone and didn't feel like someone was looking over my shoulder. Everyone who works here is very nice. Good compensation. My work was actually used by another company - pretty neat!

Cons

People really put their heads down and work here, so a lot gets done, but people hardly ever talk, so it can get a bit awkward.

"Collaborative and friendly work environment, but undergoing many significant changes"

Current Employee - Employee in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at OSIsoft are what make the company. Everybody is very approachable and helpful when they can be. At this point, there is no micromanagement which is a huge plus for me. Technical support is a fairly autonomous position, so it is nice that the managers keep their eyes on the big picture.

Cons

Some significant restructuring is happening within OSIsoft Tech Support. As the company grows, they are trying to mimic the more structured hierarchies of larger companies. This means they are adding ranking to your title (TSE I, TSE II, etc) which may add some constrictions in terms of advancement for employees, but it may not. It is too early to tell.

Also, as other reviews have mentioned, it is becoming somewhat harder to advance within the company, especially as it gets larger. Moving across departments (Tech Support -> Engineering) is not an easy feat, as Tech Support will not want to let you go and Engineering isn't in a hurry to hire developers internally. However, I do believe that if you prove yourself as a valuable asset that advancement is possible; it might just take some time.

Advice to Management

Maintain a close relationship with each of your employees, while avoiding micromanaging. Determine where the employee wants to go and help them figure out how they can get there. Give more constant personal feedback and ask for feedback from your employees.

11. "Conversations start at a high level."

Current Contractor - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Leandro, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Constant inspiration. High growth curve.

Cons

Time to hire. No 401k match.