OTR Global Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Stanton Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Smart, Professional Colleagues Make OTR Global a Great Place to Work"

I have been working at OTR Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

OTR Global's research department provides a good work-life balance with flexible schedules and 100% work from home opportunities. The company is led by smart people and management is open to trying new things and listens to suggestions from anyone that has ideas on how to do things better.

Cons

As a virtual company, there is some "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" for lower level employees. New employees have to work hard to get noticed. There is not a lot of advancement opportunity as a smaller company. The stream of work can be inconsistent with people overworked for several weeks/months straight, followed by a slower period, and repeating every quarter.

Advice to Management

Continue with the annual conference when budgets allow. Face time and resulting conversations have resulted in impactful improvements and helps strengthen relationships among colleagues.

2. "Very respectful, often grueling, inconsistent"

Former Employee - Senior Reporter in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Reporter in Remote, OR

I worked at OTR Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When you're in the midst of an important story/research project, it can be thrilling. Your colleagues are sharp and the work is intellectually stimulating. The sense of accomplishment can be very high. As a remote employee (most are), your schedule is flexible and you bill hourly.

Cons

Budget concerns, irrational stock fluctuations, or slow industry news cycles can significantly decrease your hours. There is a LOT of cold-calling to build up sources. Job stability, at least at the reporter level, is not a given.

Advice to Management

The reporters are the boots on the ground: if work is slow, let them pitch and pioneer some refinement in tactics, particularly with regard to source retention. Poor source retention must be the biggest contributor to inefficiency and high turnover.

3. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at OTR Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OTR Cares about its employees, and is small enough to feel like a big family at times.

Cons

There isn't room for growth/advancement in every part of the company due to the small size. A lot of employees are 100% virtual which can make the experience feel disjointed.

4. "Worked Alongside Brilliant, Hardworking and Diverse Research Team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OTR Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Access to some of the smartest people on Wall Street at OTR Global who are incredibly talented at developing rewarding relationships with their coworkers and sources. Small company with the ability to develop an idea and run with it if it would help improve the business. Pay was in-line to above industry averages.

Cons

Global teams made for long hours. There was not much room to move up within the company. Too few opportunities to see coworkers in person.

Advice to Management

Focus on your sources of information, which feeds the product. Create opportunities for your employees to work across different roles to help develop up and coming talent.

5. "Internship"

Pros

Exposure to senior management, understandable boss.

Cons

Boring tasks, not as much exposure to industry as i'd hoped.

Advice to Management

Expose interns more, give more hands-on work.

6. "Excellent experience with great colleagues"

I have been working at OTR Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work is stimulating, challenging, and rewarding. The culture is meritocratic and outperformers will be recognized. The company is relatively "flat" so upper management will listen to people on the ground if they have ideas for improvement. The biggest pro, of course, is being able to work remotely and to have control over your working hours. This doesn't mean you'll clock in less than 40 hours a week, but it does mean you can fit the workload with your personal life.

Cons

If you are a strong performer, the workload will grow over time. The company operates in a heavily competitive environment, which gives everyone a sense of job insecurity and unease.

Advice to Management

Research and sales need more investment.

7. "Best job I've had"

I have been working at OTR Global full-time

Pros

Combines virtual environment with 'real' job -- research team trusted to self-manage as long as the work gets done [within compliance parameters -- this is a regulated industry]. Great sense of team work, lots of smart people, challenging work -- learn something new every day. High degree of autonomy -- this is a place for self-starters, not those who need daily affirmation. While the company has gotten 'more corporate,' I think that was necessary to survive in a changing industry.

Cons

As other reviewers have said, comp, benefits and staff have been reduced as the industry has gotten more competitive. Not sure there were realistic/viable alternatives but it has been difficult. Management hasn't always been proactive about communicating but recent hires seem better at that.

Advice to Management

Keep the movement toward transparency.

8. "Flexible schedule for busy college students"

Former Employee - Fast Track Reporter in Sycamore, IL
    Former Employee - Fast Track Reporter in Sycamore, IL

I worked at OTR Global (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to make my own schedule and I always had resources I could reach out to if I had any questions or issues. My direct supervisor was very motivating and positive.

Cons

I was not able to secure a full time position after completing my undergraduate degree.

9. "Investment Research Intern"

Pros

Learned a lot about the financial world in general. A lot of the people who work there are truly interested and dedicated in helping interns learning about their occupation; whether it be people at the trading desks, equity sales, the controller, etc.

Cons

There was not a lot of structure to the internship program. I basically had to walk around and ask people if they needed me to do anything for them/had any projects for me. However, this may have been due to the time of the year that I was there.

Advice to Management

Keep caring about your internship program! Having a relationship with the CEO and other high management individuals was a great experience that cannot be replicated.

10. "great product, good people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Product produced is outstanding, and the staff are very cooperative, Many times people will help each other solve problems, and make their work better. A nice place to work

Cons

Benefits are being reduced each year, and expenses are being squeezed. Many of the nice little items (free snacks) have been cut.