OTR Global Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stanton Green

1. "Internship"

Pros

Exposure to senior management, understandable boss.

Cons

Boring tasks, not as much exposure to industry as i'd hoped.

Advice to Management

Expose interns more, give more hands-on work.

2. "Excellent experience with great colleagues"

I have been working at OTR Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work is stimulating, challenging, and rewarding. The culture is meritocratic and outperformers will be recognized. The company is relatively "flat" so upper management will listen to people on the ground if they have ideas for improvement. The biggest pro, of course, is being able to work remotely and to have control over your working hours. This doesn't mean you'll clock in less than 40 hours a week, but it does mean you can fit the workload with your personal life.

Cons

If you are a strong performer, the workload will grow over time. The company operates in a heavily competitive environment, which gives everyone a sense of job insecurity and unease.

Advice to Management

Research and sales need more investment.

3. "Best job I've had"

I have been working at OTR Global full-time

Pros

Combines virtual environment with 'real' job -- research team trusted to self-manage as long as the work gets done [within compliance parameters -- this is a regulated industry]. Great sense of team work, lots of smart people, challenging work -- learn something new every day. High degree of autonomy -- this is a place for self-starters, not those who need daily affirmation. While the company has gotten 'more corporate,' I think that was necessary to survive in a changing industry.

Cons

As other reviewers have said, comp, benefits and staff have been reduced as the industry has gotten more competitive. Not sure there were realistic/viable alternatives but it has been difficult. Management hasn't always been proactive about communicating but recent hires seem better at that.

Advice to Management

Keep the movement toward transparency.

5. "Flexible schedule for busy college students"

Former Employee - Fast Track Reporter in Sycamore, IL
    Former Employee - Fast Track Reporter in Sycamore, IL

I worked at OTR Global (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to make my own schedule and I always had resources I could reach out to if I had any questions or issues. My direct supervisor was very motivating and positive.

Cons

I was not able to secure a full time position after completing my undergraduate degree.

6. "Investment Research Intern"

Pros

Learned a lot about the financial world in general. A lot of the people who work there are truly interested and dedicated in helping interns learning about their occupation; whether it be people at the trading desks, equity sales, the controller, etc.

Cons

There was not a lot of structure to the internship program. I basically had to walk around and ask people if they needed me to do anything for them/had any projects for me. However, this may have been due to the time of the year that I was there.

Advice to Management

Keep caring about your internship program! Having a relationship with the CEO and other high management individuals was a great experience that cannot be replicated.

7. "great product, good people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Product produced is outstanding, and the staff are very cooperative, Many times people will help each other solve problems, and make their work better. A nice place to work

Cons

Benefits are being reduced each year, and expenses are being squeezed. Many of the nice little items (free snacks) have been cut.

"Investment Research Intern"

Former Employee - Investment Research Intern in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Investment Research Intern in Purchase, NY

I worked at OTR Global (Less than a year)

Pros

Small size company - great exposure to senior management
    Great internship program to get a good understanding of the financial services industry

Cons

Minimum wage pay for interns

"Lack of strong organization structure and limited opportunities to grow as a firm and as a professional"

Pros

- enjoyed my time with the team - very friendly group
    - was given a lot of exposure to various groups and departments at a truly global firm
    - relatively unique product offering
    - it was a pretty cushy job

Cons

- little to no upward mobility whatsoever -
    - it plays in a really tough industry with tons of competitors
    - business model is not ideal - $ retention was an issue
    - A lot of turnover in terms of employees
    - Poor organizational structure
    - Overall a declining business

Advice to Management

- be willing to recognize value and compensate accordingly- at the very least give opportunities to prove worth and value
    - give the employees a reason to be bought into the company and work together as a team to make it prosper
    - be more strategic in running the business and managing the structure and culture - although it was the goal of the firm, it was clearly lacking

"executive position"

Former Employee - Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OTR Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Went to work for the company when it was just starting. There was a strong bond and horizontal management with plenty of room for growth and learning.

Cons

The founder left the company and the management decided to hire a CEO and add layers upon layers of management and structure, which eroded the creative nature of the executive positions and caused a lot of distrust amongst the employees.

Advice to Management

Transparency is a must. Allow senior management opportunities to be creative in their roles and to help guide the direction of the company. Agency is everything.

11. "Overall, a good experience. Niche business that has been growingly saturated by other competitors."

Pros

Nice office and nice people. The traders are a ton of fun to chat with.

Cons

Work can get monotnous and the office is usually very quiet for most of the day, except the trading floor.