OU Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Charles L. Spicer

Pros
Cons
  • When I got terminated I tried to ask questions about the system the same day I was locked out not even 5 minutes after walking to different department (in 2 reviews)

• Have to take shuttle to OU Center (in 3 reviews)

1. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at OU Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse facility to learn and grow.

Cons

I have excelled out of my current position.

2. "AUA"

Former Employee - AUA in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - AUA in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at OU Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The nurses are friendly and help out.

Cons

OU pays AUA's the exact same as CNA's and still wants you to draw blood and insert catheters. the Pay is around 10$-13$ a hour and recruiting is not straight forward about pay when making a offer. The email will not even have the information until you accept. Also once you work on a floor you cant go flex anymore... not worth it.

3. "RN"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at OU Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to learn. If you can work efficiently at OU, you can go anywhere. Teaching Hospital, so you always have residents there at the ready.

Cons

In order to advance you must be at the right place at the right time. It's for-profit and they do not care about employees over their bottom line. Less pay, more work. Lots of burn out.

Advice to Management

If you have people leaving in droves, why don't you ask yourself why. Stop pushing for patient satisfaction and decreased infection rates while making your units work short. You cannot achieve these things with worn out, burnt out, miserable nurses. I left for more $$, less work, and the ability to be promoted after 10 years. I was not valued despite working extra, being on shared governance, and other committees. I finally just had to leave.

5. "Aua"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at OU Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Loved the people I worked with. Enjoyed the fast paced Er. Helping people is my passion. Worked a lot of overtime (6 days a week to be exact) to earn points to buy within our reward system.

Cons

Didn't like being lied to. Ran late after working extra shifts and stayed late to help after scheduled to be off. Relief doesn't come on time and you have to stay until they come. Didn't get to use my reward points after I working overtime to get them and earned rightfully by myself. Then no compensations whatsoever for my rewards, never a call back from management after I got terminated, no reasoning behind me not getting to use my points. When I got terminated I tried to ask questions about the system the same day I was locked out not even 5 minutes after walking to different department.

Advice to Management

I was a hard worked that truly cared about this facility and it's patients I understand I was late but did you even look at the "late" times nope. 2-5 minutes late to clock in but clock out was always 15 to 30 minutes late why ????? Because I never got relief on time if your a sitter.I can't leave patients alone in blood draw area if no one comes to cover it. Rarely get relief for lunch if you get one. I wasn't given warning coaching write-up nothing was told to me until the day I was terminated. Right before Christmas and couldn't use my reward points I earned like I basically worked all that extra just to HELP YOU OUT. The REWARDS I WORKED AND EARNED GOT STOLEN RIGHT FROM UNDER ME.

6. "Don't come here for growth or opportunity"

Former Employee - OR Nurse in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - OR Nurse in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at OU Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, supervisors do try but get beat down pretty hard by director level and up.

Cons

Base level employees get overworked and underpaid. Lots of burnout.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees. If your employees are happy and feel appreciated, it will trickle down everywhere else. Patient satisfaction is directly correlated with employee satisfaction and you have A LOT of unhappy employees.

7. "Director of Surgery Center"

Former Employee - Managing Director in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at OU Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff and surgeons were great to work with.

Cons

Too many manditory meetings that had nothing to so with my service

8. "Case management administrative assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

There are no pros. Worst place to work.

Cons

Leadership treats their admins like slaves. Very rude and talk down to employees or just simply ignore employees. Everything is catered to the case managers and the admin staff is very short handed. They will not hire more people and peole are leaving like flies.

Advice to Management

Get it together. No admins, no business.

9. "cytotechnologist III"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at OU Medical Center (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have competitive salaries, flexible hours, job security, some job growth and promotional opportunities, good continuing education and training.

Cons

The bureaucracy was challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Be sensitive employee's individual situations as well as getting both sides (all sides) of personnel issues.

"Not worth the time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yukon, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yukon, OK

I have been working at OU Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I try to avoid telling people where I work.

Cons

To many to list. keep looking

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees

"discrimination for disablilty"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at OU Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

I really did love my job at OU Medical. BUT, this is what happened to me: CON
    A great place to learn, and connect. Professional, Try to do things the proper way to pass inspections and such. I felt really good about my job while employed there. I really liked my Sr management and co workers. I felt like I was a good employee there.

Cons

I was badly injured in the Moore 2013 tornado, due to my 2 story house falling on top of me. I took some FMLA at the time. I was recommended to have rotator cuff surgery done when my shoulder did not improve, so I was on FMLA again. As soon as my restrictions were lifted, I was "layed off", permanently so it seems. I have since tried for several jobs there and not given a chance at even one of them. I had senority but it did not seem to matter (4 years)

Advice to Management

I feel like I was discriminated due to my misfortune with the 2013 tornado and disability it left me with. I very nicely asked to keep my job because my heart was really with the best interest of OU and very disappointed things turned out this way. Dont get rid of your good employees, KEEP them.