OVH Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 12, 2019

3.4
OVH Chairman   Octave Klaba
Octave Klaba
Pros
  • "quipe des ambiances de travail souvent g(in 50 reviews)

• "OVH a de nombreux avantages : mutuelle top, cantine, salle de sport, m(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "tant : manque de visibilit(in 28 reviews)

• "(in 24 reviews)

"Great place to work, but too many irrelevancies"

Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Reston, VA

I worked at OVH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work. Excellent pay, healthy management

Cons

Startups with too many rapdily changing processes. Staffs were quitting as a result of massive firing of employees. Poor mismanagement of fund created a financial crisis.

OVH2019-07-05

"Ends do not justify the means"

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at OVH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the folks working there are awesome. The benefits are decent (assuming they stay that way), and the office has some perks. (snacks/coffee)

Cons

Inept leadership from the owner down to the Sr. Director. Too many employees, while talented and capable, in the wrong role. The constant reorganizing due to poor planning, the exclusion of those impacted, the ongoing turnover, the interference from the parent company in France, and lack/limited resources to complete the work required creating multiple impediments. There are conflicts of interest and political issues (what company doesn't). Lastly, mixed messages sent to employees. Benefits put in place such as tuition reimbursement, gym reimbursement, phone, etc only to be discouraged from using them. I tried using the tuition reimbursement and you'd thought I asked for a raise and a company car! Oh, and not cool making us work at an office not yet ready for everyone and not prepared for the hot summers!

Advice to Management

Listen to the frontline people. Stop making decisions in a void! Grow a pair and stand up to the Octave and Michel when they suddenly decide to change course. Lastly, open your eyes to what your people are dealing with. You ask for much and have given little in return.

OVH2019-10-21

"Wouldn't Recommend"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Reston, VA

I worked at OVH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Provided free lunch every Friday

Cons

Racist and unqualified executives and management

OVH2019-09-26

"Avoid OVH like the Plague."

Former Employee - User Experience Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at OVH full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Free coffee & food - If you don't care about your time being wasted this is the perfect spot for you

Cons

- Tech debt is mountainous - Poor leadership - Lack of direction - Hardware barely works

Advice to Management

I've actually taken OVH off my resume entirely. I'd rather have nothing on my resume for a year than be associated with OVH.

OVH2019-06-07

"Nice place to work, hope they improve"

I have been working at OVH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good technology, great coworkers, strong teams, positive culture, growing company. In a expanding market with huge potential. Executive leadership is outstanding.

Cons

Management hates you. Will lie and abuse to advance themselves. Blame others for their failures. Organization is a mess.

Advice to Management

Leave now.

OVH2019-01-23

"Deep Issues in the Roots"

Former Employee - Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at OVH full-time for more than a year

Pros

I originally did not have any intent to write a review, until it was brought to my attention that other negative reviews have been removed. You have a right to know. Let's see if this gets deleted. Decent gym facility Lunch on Friday Good people Opportunity to do all the work Due to confidentiality, details must be spared, but there is a case study here that deserves its spot in every MBA program It will offer the experience of a lifetime. I am very serious, and I am still very thankful for the opportunity. I could not have learned this much from anywhere else.

Cons

This review is for OVH US LLC (specifically Reston, VA office), which is a subsidiary of OVH Group (Roubaix, France). As a subsidiary there are constant communication gaps with the parent company located in France. Culture gaps, business culture gaps, and language barriers can be closed in time through mutual respect. I have seen that they are working on this, and I believe that this can be fixed. A flawed mindset from the US management team is their largest roadblock to success and happiness. After constant restructuring, the company has failed to find its footing and focus on the important tasks at hand. The objective of the restructurings have not been to streamline the workflow or to run with an efficient cost structure, but rather to pad and secure the lifestyles of those in the inner circle. The most recent restructuring (early 2019) reinforces the oligarchic governance where small insular group continues to reside in the epicenter. It seems every review that mentions this is being removed. It is hard to substantiate this without breaching confidentiality, but there is evidence. There are good people and hard workers at OVH US LLC, but they are constantly hindered by backwards and unfocused management. I am hesitant to write more or refine this review as it is likely it will also be deleted. Already removed quite a bit of information just to try to get this posted. Actually, that about sums up my work experience at OVH. You can work hard, analyze the weaknesses with intent to improve, but no one will want to face the truth. Unfortunate, because that is the first step towards success.

Advice to Management

Management has no interest in hearing advice.

OVH2019-01-23

"Potential blurred by ego and legacy"

I have been working at OVH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed environment, incredible benefits, great education reimbursement program, access to inter-nationality and culture cross-over.

Cons

Toxic employees and absentee/toxic management. Lack of opportunity for promotion. General disconnect between OVH Group and OVH US. Lack of meaningful respect, trust, and understanding of separated teams. Lack of meaningful discipline of objectively poor behavior and easily avoidable mistakes.

Advice to Management

I joined OVH US in the beginning because I jumped at the unique opportunity to build a new company. I was eager to be a part of something bigger than myself and really dig into a great project. At first, the company development was heavy, fun, and offered exposure to different operations. I was looking forward to building a Rackspace slayer. However when OVH US “turned on” and officially launched, things sort of went in a direction I had not personally envisioned, and not in a good way. I was one of the first employees hired at OVH US that was not a part of VCA and I considered myself a founding employee; It’s been made clear to me by management and the upper levels of the company that this is not accurate. Whether true or not, it feels as though my team and I are not considered to be a stakeholder in the general direction of the company; that our voice doesn’t matter. There are a few choice management folks in positions that seem to be actively blocking team development and negligently stifling team growth and opportunity. I do not feel I have learned any skills that make me a better, more valuable employee at any company, let alone OVH that can help me develop personally and professionally. Part of this is due to all the in-house tools that OVH uses. None of this is transferable to any other company. In my opinion these same choice management have too much responsibility and are not able to perform each job they must perform in an acceptable, effective manner. In my opinion, I believe that these managers should have their roles and responsibilities either relinquished completely due to poor ego, OR have these roles and responsibilities broken up into different jobs and given to lower more eager totem employees followed by a pay bump. 1. OVH US needs to implement a better Decentralized Command Structure and break up specific manager positions into multiple positions. When the opportunity arises, select current employees from the bottom and promote them; especially the ones who have been here and know how the basic systems work, to a T. The bottom roles will and can be back filled. However when management for specific teams is quite literally, prolongedly absent from relative meaningful interactions with their subordinates, promoting from the bottom is not possible because they don’t have a good reading of the field, of who has potential. This is either because they have too much responsibility or because they don’t care. Personally, this line is grey and hard to define, because of the absenteeism. Bottom line, I don’t trust my management to have my best interest, or even the best interest of the company at heart. It seems they are about feeding their ego and are on a venture for higher and higher positions. 2. OVH Group is still a majority holder of OVH US and really holds all the marbles. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it makes working on escalation tasks difficult because while our staff in the US is very smart, we don’t know everything and we need help. There seems to be only a handful of choice employees from France and Canada that are consistently available for escalation, and at that a few number of them are effective in their advice. There a lot of escalation/employees who are well intentioned but have little to no meaningful advice or experience with specific problems; I myself have reached out to higher level teams in hopes they’ll have a better idea, then in turn they begin to ask ME for advice on the very topic I am asking them about; I find myself keenly aware of how to resolve issues but my escalation does not, both on the US side as well as international teams. Bottom line: There aren’t enough people who know how to fix issues in positions of maximum reachability and effectiveness, and too many ineffective people with approximate knowledge and lack of experience in these positions. Lastly - There are employees at the bottom totem of OVH, on all teams, that want to make a difference in this company and help facilitate a dream job for themselves, myself included. There are people here who want to create a Rackspace slayer. But we cannot do this if we are ignored, if we are under utilized, and if we are not given an opportunity to grow personally and professionally. We cannot build the company that Octave envisions if current choice management personnel remain in place, or continue to collect responsibility and not properly distribute it via correct path, or cannot be bothered to create these paths of distribution. I want OVH to succeed but I am currently looking for other employment, I’ve been around for a while and though I’ve built great relationships, relationships don’t pay my bills and afford me a home for my wife and growing family. I need experience and exposure to higher level positions, and after more than a year at OVH, I have little to show in exposure to new technology and opportunity that has meaningful impact on my earning potential.

OVH2019-01-20

"Clown show in a dumpster fire"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at OVH full-time for less than a year

Pros

When I was there, free food on Fridays

Cons

Everything else. No one in management, particularly executive management, there has a clue what their doing. Most are way out over their skis having never held these positions or titles elsewhere. A complete bunch of frauds. There were several rounds of layoffs in 2018 and the inept CEO and CFO quit with no notice late in 2018 rather than be fired. I heard 2019 stated the same way. Doubtful the US entity will be in business by July. Let’s see if this gets deleted like the more than dozen other bad reviews that have disappeared. Glassdoor is a joke and cannot be relied upon for accurate information.

Advice to Management

Fold up shop.

OVH2019-02-12

"Proud Employee!"

I have been working at OVH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast-paced, dynamic environment (literally); I learn something new every day; I am part of the growth of a unique and exciting company; I LOVE my team! Awesome benefits. I've never been happier with my job, team, or boss.

Cons

It's exactly how start-ups are defined - chaotic, dynamic, crazy - but that's what I love about it. Unfortunate situations have happened, those which are true to every start-up.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate the roadmap and the company's successful migrations

OVH2018-12-19

"My Job is Exciting!"

I have been working at OVH full-time for more than a year

Pros

faced-paced environment, always something new to learn, have been here over a year and we have accomplished and grown so much as a team, group and company

Cons

if you can't take change, this isn't for you

OVH2018-12-20