OWC Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Larry O'Connor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Excellent Corporate Culture & Amazing Benefits!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodstock, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodstock, IL

I have been working at OWC (Less than a year)

Pros

OWC has been a breath of fresh air- they really care about the well-being of their employees. From health benefits plans that start at just $100 a month to a yoga class once a week, OWC has something for everyone. The workload is manageable, and there is a sense of teamwork and general happiness from all of the employees that I have encountered thus far. Excited to see what the future holds!

Cons

It seems as though staff is light in some areas of the company. From my perspective, there's a lot we could do in certain areas such as ramping up the sales teams process and then refining the marketing message to cater to the sales message.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay on the path that will allow for company growth in the future.

"Survived another spring purge"

Current Employee - S&M Peon in Woodstock, IL
    Current Employee - S&M Peon in Woodstock, IL

I have been working at OWC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PTO is ok. You'll need it working here. Leadership turnover happens so frequently its pretty easy to fly under the radar. No expectation of improvements to systems or processes. Put on a happy face and fake like you believe the propaganda and you'll stick around for a while. They have a naively loyal customer base.

Cons

Web based business that struggles with mainstream concepts and technologies.
    Technical leadership can't finish ERP or E-commerce projects resulting in archaic technology bolted on bad solutions. Using macs to access Windows XP applications will make you feel dirty.
    Marketing and Sales management changes every year so we get to re-organize and re-focus two or three times a year.
    Sub-standard health benefits and 401K matching.
    Yearly employee purge at review time.
    Double standards. Double standards everywhere.

Advice to Management

Build a consistent sales and marketing leadership team. Use them to drive the business. Get new technical leadership with fresh ideas and fresh perspectives.

OWC Response

Jun 7, 2017 – Human Resource Manager

It’s always unfortunate for everyone when we have a wrong person here for clearly the wrong reason. In only the last three years OWC has added more than 30 positions and has a current of team of... More

"Awful company to work for"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Woodstock, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Woodstock, IL

I worked at OWC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, none, none and none. (needed five words minimum)

Cons

Everything. Poorly run company. What started as a small family business cant get out of its own way. Owner is a micro-manager and an obsessive-compulsive tyrant that thinks he's a 'nice guy'. He thinks everyone is out to get him...please...your business is not that great or that important. People are just a 'thing' to him to be discarded at his whim. Many times I overheard the 'get rid of so and so' knell of death for employees out loud. Most of the long-time employees are just what I called the 'brown-nose crew'. Company is a revolving door. Do yourself a favor and don't even consider working here. There are much better places to learn how to become a martyr such as Taco Bell or McDonald's.

Advice to Management

Separate the owner from day to day ops.

"Take the past reviews with a grain of salt"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at OWC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The first thing you need to know is that there are two main locations: Austin, TX and Woodstock, IL. This review is for the Austin office. I haven't been at the company super long but I'm feeling pretty good about where things are now and where they're going. There have been some issues in the past but the future is looking bright for this company. The products are great and there are a lot of smart people working on the branding and marketing.

Even with mediocre branding that currently exists, OWC/MacSales has a very loyal customer base and have done quite well with what they have. I believe sales and morale will continue to improve and as trust grows in the newer super smart folks, I believe more good change will come to the company.

Cons

This is a small company that was started in a small town in Illinois so there are some practices that are a little old-fashioned. There's a lot of new blood at the company and they're making some positive changes though.

Advice to Management

Get rid of "sick" days and "vacation" days and make it all Paid Time Off (PTO). Give your salary employees more vacations and perks that are indicative of working at a tech company. Also, listen to your people. You have some really great people that have a lot of experience and have worked at some really big companies. If they're telling you they want more perks and leeway, you should listen.

5. "Small company"

Former Employee - Order Processing in Woodstock, IL
    Former Employee - Order Processing in Woodstock, IL

I worked at OWC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for OWC for a little over 2 years in their warehouse. The environment was not the best, but the management team was great.

Cons

Very hard to move up into another position. I was there for 2 years while earning my degree, once I earned my degree I was unable to move into a position in my field. After waiting over 3 months and being told I would be transitioning soon, I left the company.

Advice to Management

Help your team members progress within the company.

"Accounting"

Former Employee - Accounting in Woodstock, IL
    Former Employee - Accounting in Woodstock, IL

I worked at OWC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OWC is small private family owned company. If this is the type of company you are looking for then OWC is the place for you; if not stay far away. Being a small company there are some nice perks. They offer a Christmas party, a summer picnic as well as bonuses for all employees at all levels. In addition, decent medical benefits.

Cons

This company over hires in all departments and there is not enough work to keep employees busy for eight hours. This appears to be the norm. They seem to hire based on where they think they will be and not there current status.

Advice to Management

Management needs to pay more attention to what employees or rather not doing. At any given time you can see employees standing around and talking personal business than work business. This is especially high in Customer Service and Accounting departments.

"Think twice before applying to this company"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Woodstock, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Woodstock, IL

I have been working at OWC full-time

Pros

This company provides a lot of opportunities for people with little or no experience. It is a great place to gain the needed experience in a particular area and then leave to work for an actual company.

Cons

First: This company has no form of consistency. One day something is ok and the next day it is not. As an employee there is no guarantee if something is right or not.
    Second: This company is lacking HR. There is no HR department. Things are never taken seriously. Concerns were raised and no action is ever taken. The common phrase you will hear "Looking into it and will get back" There is no follow up.
    Third: Management is very inexperienced. Also members who are horrible to fellow coworkers. As stated in the pros this is good to allow people to gain the experience but it is horrible for the employees. Things are always a joke.
    Fourth: If you want to know that you have job security, this place is not for you.
    Fifth: There is no such things as fair in this building. The motto used is: "do to one, do to all" but this does not apply, this is far from what happens. There were many times that things were not done for all but done for one.

Overall: DO NOT WORK HERE UNLESS YOU WANT TO GAIN EXPERIENCE AND LEAVE!!

"Talented people apply within"

I have been working at OWC full-time

Pros

OWC is a great company to work for with plenty of opportunity in the Austin office!

Bear in mind this division has had somewhat of a startup feel and some initial turnover did take place. Much of this stemmed from the previous creative director. He was essentially a long-term graphics person that moved up without the experience to do so. He lacked basic management principles, a creative background and was abrasive with everyone in his path. Talented designers didn’t stand a chance and were either let go or left.

This no longer the case as the group is now lead by a fresh marketing team, a seasoned creative director and a supporting staff to produce outstanding work. The work to date shows they mean business and know how to get things done. I’ve witnessed nothing but energy and good vibes from the thriving team.

Cons

An ongoing problem is the lack of upper management, including HR. Nowhere along the way of recurring problems in the Austin office, did anyone step in, question the turnover or ask affected team members for interpretation. At the most, there was an employee survey with check boxes which didn’t even scratch the surface of the issues at hand. Complaints were reported but no action was ever taken.

Another struggle company-wide is the staff that’s been there longer. Change is uncomfortable for them and difficult to initiate more practical ways of doing things. Introducing anything involving structure or forward-thinking is quite challenging as it’s new territory on all fronts.

As with many companies that grow quickly is the over-involvement from the owner. This is an understatement at OWC and can be defeating to new members with experience and knowledge of best practices. Decisions are often made on a whim and little to no thought is put into practicality or future implications.

Advice to Management

Step up or step out. The company needs to break out of it’s “small company” shell if it’s going to grow or keep up with other contenders.

"Great place to get fired - upgraded from good place to get fired"

I have been working at OWC full-time

Pros

no need to make small talk with anyone because new employees only last a couple months if they're lucky and blessed

Cons

no cons besides OWC because anyone can come here and be blessed to be fired without reason

Advice to Management

continue to work on improving firing process so it's more fast n furious.

"Hired, then Rehired ... Blessed by OWC!"

Current Employee - Internal Communications Specialist in Woodstock, IL
    Current Employee - Internal Communications Specialist in Woodstock, IL

I have been working at OWC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a wonderful company to work for. I was with the company for about 3 1/2 years and had to relocate for personal reasons. Upon my return to Illinois, I contacted HR and was rehired. OWC has great benefits, allows for creative independence, empowerment, and the leadership team (stemming from our CEO down) truly cares. The people (internally and externally), the products and doing the right thing is what always comes first. It's a company that always is looking to improve and go further to make things better. I'm pleased to come to work everyday, because I work with extremely intelligent individuals in all departments. The company also goes above and beyond to promote participation and collaboration throughout the organization. There are billiards leagues, a holiday party, annual picnics, themed potlucks, employee veggie gardens, recognition for hard work and more. The environment is a great balance between hard work and fun times. And did I mention that people are great to work with and for?

Cons

This is really not applicable.

Advice to Management

Continue to advocate for positive and powerful change. It's remarkable all the great things that have changed in such a short time already.