Oak Harbor Freight Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edward H. Vander Pol

1. "Decent place to work"

I worked at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time

Pros

There are a lot of great people in the company, all working towards providing the greatest experience possible for the customer.

Cons

Management has some more traditional tendencies that tend to hinder growth. Especially when it comes to technology.

"Ops Manager"

Current Employee - Ops Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Ops Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, great work life balance

Cons

Slow amount of work and limited down time

Advice to Management

more sales reps in further areas

"Good company, good opportunity, good benefits"

Current Employee - Non-union Employee in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Non-union Employee in Auburn, WA

Pros

There is a reason why so many employees have 15-25 years of tenure. Company values quality and integrity. While individual managers or supervisors may struggle with this, the overall company culture reflects this fact. We offer very good pay for entry-level position. Good pay at the higher positions also.

Out of good faith, the company continues to give increases above and beyond the union contract to represented employees (to keep pace with the unrepresented employees).

Several specific programs designed to progress employees from entry-level (dock handler) to better opportunities, such as the dock-to-driver program and the inside sales/leadership program.

Benefits here are top-notch; they have to be industry leading: Premiums are ridiculously small (1% of salary for self, 2% total for entire family), co-pays are at/better than average, coverage is very good, 401k with matching. There are also bonus schedules and profit-share programs that allow the company to share its profitability back to the employees.

Constantly reinvesting in technology, equipment, and personnel. They are in the midst of several enhancements to training programs.

It is truly an amazing and exciting time to work at OHFL!

Cons

While the company is great, the industry has many flaws that impact our business. Nationwide driver supply is low while demand is sky-rocketing. No one is encouraging their kids to drive truck for a living any more. Everyone wants to drive a desk instead.

While the system in general is very strong, a certain few terminals consistently struggle. Efforts are being made to bring balance to the culture system-wide.

Pricing model on LTL rate bases were broken 15-20 years ago, and many competitors do not adhere to pricing disciplines needed to keep the industry as profitable as it should be. Current fuel situation has many pricing programs upside down also.

Advice to Management

Develop more cross-functional teams to solve system-problems, which means relying less on top-level management for solutions to daily challenges. Seek to better understand the needs of those with their boots on the street, their daily obstacles, and what suggestions they have to improve their personal lives and their business unit.

Also, look to add some fat back to the bone in regards to staffing. We need more margin within our system to perform the level of service we want to commit to our customers.

5. "Not the best, but they will hire ANYONE."

I have been working at Oak Harbor Freight Lines part-time

Pros

It is a job that pays money, after three years pay rises to $19 an hour for dockworkers. Standards are low, turnover is high, lasting three years on the dock requires thick skin and a high tolerance for managerial BS.

Cons

Pay starts very low, and doesn't really become worth it until your third year, when it finally jumps. Part timers are given no health insurance and must work around heavy, moving machinery and lift heavy objects frequently. Safety standards are very lax here. Getting injured without insurance can be a career ender. Management is unsympathetic. The company has been sued many times and lost.

Advice to Management

I really have very little to say to management. There are times when I honestly feel that the company is irredeemable.

"Great Family Owned Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing, lots of potential internal growth, they provide the ability to go to the next level within the company, hands on training. You can tell that the management really cares!

Cons

The union at the terminal is crazy!

Advice to Management

get rid of the union for everyone's benefit. The teamsters don't care for the employees they just want their dues paid.

7. "It's aight"

Pros

Friendly people to work with good starting pay, perfect for a college job

Cons

Overtime on short notice, not always a a forklift avail

8. "Teamsters is needed in this company!!"

Current Employee - P&D Driver in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - P&D Driver in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are the only pros that this company has going for its employees. Not the top pay in the industry but comparable to some freight companies in the Los Angeles area. Family owned company.

Cons

Lack of real leadership in this company. Oak Harbor managers run the terminals like its their own business. They have no idea what the drivers endure out on the road. Expecting the most without knowing what's really going on. Dispatchers doesn't even have a clue what's going on and some of them were once drivers. If the manager has never ran a route, please don't tell me how to do my job! This company used to be one of the best freight companies to work for but now not so much. Because of drivers being dissatisfied with how they're being treated, talks about voting the union in is a strong topic of discussion. I was very firm in my beliefs of not wanting to become part of the union, but now my feelings have completely changed. You can send whoever you want to from corporate but if the person doesn't bother to communicate with the people who are not happy, then why waste the time coming! Bottom line...we need the union in here! This company really does not deserve any stars.

Advice to Management

If the union is voted in, you will have nobody to blame but yourselves. Besides that no advice can be given since it falls upon deaf ears!!!

9. "Dockworker"

Former Employee - Dock Worker in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Dock Worker in Auburn, WA

I worked at Oak Harbor Freight Lines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, lots to do, always work to be done.

Cons

Management is kind of hard on the workers sometimes.

Advice to Management

While the management is pretty good here, the starting pay could be a bit higher.

10. "Operations Supervior"

I worked at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I averaged about 50 hours per week. The work was intense at different times of the nights. However it would slow down after drivers were dispatched out on their routes. Leaving you with a moment of peace to plan and read emails.

Cons

The company is still using an old IBM based systems that most employees that were born after 1984 have never seen nor used before. There was way too much paperwork to process for each inbound and outbound shipment. The succession planning is nonexistent. You will need to wait for someone to be fired or leave from the company before moving to a higher position.

Advice to Management

Invest in updated software and hardware to maximize productivity. Then make a company commitment to support the new systems by adding on new positions such as IT Support, Processes and Control Manager and make routine surprise audits to ensure the tools and processes are being used correctly.

"watch your back if your black"

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Kent, WA

I worked at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time

Pros

great benefits, pay is good if you have the opportunity to advance

Cons

long time employees do not want competition, be careful who you make friends with, other employees will stab you in the back

Advice to Management

be more open minded