Oak Harbor Freight Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Oak Harbor Freight Lines Co-President Edward H. Vander Pol
Edward H. Vander Pol

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Look at the tenure! There is a reason people stay."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a reason why so many employees have 15-25 years of tenure. Company values quality and integrity. While individual managers or supervisors may struggle with this, the overall company culture reflects this fact. We offer very good pay for entry-level position. Good pay at the higher positions also.

Out of good faith, the company continues to give increases above and beyond the union contract to represented employees (to keep pace with the unrepresented employees).

Several specific programs designed to progress employees from entry-level (dock worker/freight handler) to better opportunities, such as the dock-to-driver program and the inside sales/leadership development program.

Benefits here are top-notch; they have to be industry leading: Premiums are ridiculously small (1% of salary for self, 2% total for entire family), co-pays are at/better than average, coverage is very good, 401k with matching. There are also bonus schedules and profit-share programs that allow the company to share its profitability back to the employees.

Constantly reinvesting in technology, equipment, and personnel. They are in the midst of several enhancements to training programs. It is truly an amazing and exciting time to work at OHFL!

Cons

While the company is great, the industry has many flaws that impact our business. Nationwide driver supply is low while demand is sky-rocketing. No one is encouraging their kids to drive truck for a living any more. Everyone wants to drive a desk instead.

While the system in general is very strong, a certain few terminals consistently struggle. Efforts are being made to bring balance to the culture system-wide.

Pricing model on LTL rate bases were broken 15-20 years ago, and many competitors do not adhere to pricing disciplines needed to keep the industry as profitable as it should be. Current fuel situation has many pricing programs upside down also.

Advice to Management

Develop more cross-functional teams to solve system-problems, which means relying less on top-level management for solutions to daily challenges. Seek to better understand the needs of those with their boots on the street, their daily obstacles, and what suggestions they have to improve their personal lives and their business unit.

Also, look to add some fat back to the bone in regards to staffing. We need more margin/flexibility within our system to perform the level of service we want to commit to our customers.

2. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Reno, NV

I have been working at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like working Oak Harbor because it is noticed when you work hard. I started on the dock and in a little over 4yrs I'm the company recruiter. Lots of room to grow in this company!!

Cons

Haven't found one yet for me.

Advice to Management

Keep looking at your talent.

3. "Line driver"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time

Pros

Small company, co-workers help each other.

Cons

Low pay, poor communication, you never know what is going on.

4. "Driver/sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Delivery Driver in Montebello, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Delivery Driver in Montebello, CA

I worked at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work for

Cons

hard long fourteen hour days

Advice to Management

NA

"Understaffed"

Former Employee - Driver in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Driver in Fresno, CA

I worked at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

stepping stone for a larger freight company

Cons

-doubled the amount of work compared to other freight companies for a lower wage.
    -no time for family life

6. "Line haul Portland OR"

I have been working at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time

Pros

Excellent 401k, company will match up to 10%, paid benefits for employees and family, we have some old trailers but very well maintained, excellent tractors for line drivers, all of them automatic, very honest company, we get paid for hooks, drops, pre, post trips, rest breaks, we enjoy four days off for thanksgiving and Christmas, I don't remember if also New Years. The respect their drivers and if you do your job good they will leave alone and will make you feel appreciated. Their first core value is: Family comes first, and they will make an effort so we don't have to work on weekends. As a line driver we work some Sundays night. At least in Oregon we don't have drive cams in our tractors and we have a really good group of drivers always ready to help.

Cons

Of course no company is perfect and the most frustrating for the drivers is being forced to drive at 60 mph, we want to run as many miles as we can but if we have a long run we feel stressed because if we deal with traffic or road construction many times we ended up running out of driving time and sometimes we have to wait long for rescue. As a line haul drivers we work at night and we find on the road impaired and drowsy drivers, seniors and inexperienced drivers, drivers on the phone texting, reading and so on. How frustrating and dangerous is not being able to pass quickly and safely those drivers! Some of them drive slow for a few miles then faster and many times we're forced just to drive behind them and at the same time being worry about running out of driving time.

Advice to Management

As drivers we think that driving at 60 mph was ok 20 years ago, we used to have paper logs ;)
    But now? We have e logs and traffic has more than doubled in the Portland and Seattle areas, we now have constant traffic at night and driving at that speed causes lately more and more road rage. Many times it takes many minutes just to pass another driver and traffic behind us get very impatient. For many years we have tried to explain in our drivers meetings that, but we have been just ignored. In Portland we're having hard time hiring new qualified line drivers but we know of many who had gone to other TLT carriers with comparable benefits because if they have experience they know how frustrating is to drive at that speed and they have gone to companies with more reasonable speeds and a little better pay.

"Decent place to work"

I worked at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time

Pros

There are a lot of great people in the company, all working towards providing the greatest experience possible for the customer.

Cons

Management has some more traditional tendencies that tend to hinder growth. Especially when it comes to technology.

"Ops Manager"

Current Employee - Ops Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Ops Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Oak Harbor Freight Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, great work life balance

Cons

Slow amount of work and limited down time

Advice to Management

more sales reps in further areas

"Good company, good opportunity, good benefits"

Current Employee - Non-union Employee in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Non-union Employee in Auburn, WA

Pros

Several specific programs designed to progress employees from entry-level (dock handler) to better opportunities, such as the dock-to-driver program and the inside sales/leadership program.

It is truly an amazing and exciting time to work at OHFL!

Advice to Management

Also, look to add some fat back to the bone in regards to staffing. We need more margin within our system to perform the level of service we want to commit to our customers.

10. "Not the best, but they will hire ANYONE."

I have been working at Oak Harbor Freight Lines part-time

Pros

It is a job that pays money, after three years pay rises to $19 an hour for dockworkers. Standards are low, turnover is high, lasting three years on the dock requires thick skin and a high tolerance for managerial BS.

Cons

Pay starts very low, and doesn't really become worth it until your third year, when it finally jumps. Part timers are given no health insurance and must work around heavy, moving machinery and lift heavy objects frequently. Safety standards are very lax here. Getting injured without insurance can be a career ender. Management is unsympathetic. The company has been sued many times and lost.

Advice to Management

I really have very little to say to management. There are times when I honestly feel that the company is irredeemable.