Oakam Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Frederic Nze

Pros
  • You can develop your career working with great people (in 9 reviews)

• For those who want experience in finance its a great stepping stone (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • no bonuses, can't really earn more than salary (in 5 reviews)

• I had the displeasure of spending 2 months in the dive of a head office that was based in Croydon at the time, before I could bear no more and left (in 4 reviews)

"Really bad company to work for."

Former Employee - Customer Relationships Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Relationships Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Oakam full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is very multicultural and there's a lot of good people working there. That's all the good I can say about it.

Cons

The salary is low. The training you receive does not reflect the reality of your job. The facilities and equipment are not optimal. When something needs to be fixed or replaced it takes a long time for it to happen. There's no clear path of progression within the company. The company changes it's internal rules and business strategies way too often. There seems to be no communication between departments and you often see unreasonable decisions being made without any explanation. The company doesn't aim to make employees feel as a part of it and you often feel as an expendable piece of equipment.

Advice to Management

Go back to the basics. Treat your employees better and make them feel as an important part of the company. Have your departments discuss changes thoroughly. Give your workers the opportunity to achieve higher goals and recognise the people that go the extra mile to do an outstanding job. Remember that happy employees are more productive and more likely to give the extra effort.

"Not for all the tea in China"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Croydon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Croydon, England (UK)

I worked at Oakam full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The sun setting on my final day at Oakam.

Cons

I had the displeasure of spending 2 months in the dive of a head office that was based in Croydon at the time, before I could bear no more and left. There is absolutely zero redeeming qualities about working here the people are rude and incompetent, the office is grim at best, users have to steal each others network cables due to the lack of the £3 leads which the company refuses to buy more of, the bullying is wide spread, pay and bonus is poor the latter being virtually non existent, and don't be surprised if management tear you a new one for not lying to the FCA or auditors to hide there woeful practises.

The only way I could recommend Oakam is if you are jobless or looking for a start in financial service even then I would recommend hanging around for too long.

Oakam epitomises the saying of " Pay Peanuts" you know the rest.

"WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR. RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!"

Current Employee - Customer Relationships Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Relationships Manager

I have been working at Oakam full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only good thing is the friends that you make there.

Cons

-Management who know nothing. A lot of them shouldn't even be managers, bunch of headless chickens running around
    -Executive board are a joke. They're all so emotional and can't even make firm decisions when it's needed.
    -Always being told to lie to the customers in order to hit targets.
    -Information is always hidden by the senior management from employees in order to exploit them.
    -Bullying of employees
    -Low paid salary

Advice to Management

Stop being stuck up your backside and actually start 'doing' rather than just talking behind closed doors.

"Not recommend to even apply for this job"

Current Employee - CRM in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CRM in London, England (UK)

Pros

I only met great people here and we will stay friends for a long time.

Cons

No chance for salary increase of bonuses , unrealistic targets and they getting bigger every month. .

Advice to Management

Start appreciating the people who works for you, because the way this place is going looks like it will be no people left in 2017 to work for you -listen to us as we the one you need

"..."

Former Employee - Customer Relationships Manager in Croydon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Relationships Manager in Croydon, England (UK)

I worked at Oakam full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only good thing about Oakam are great people that works there

Cons

No benefits,minimum salary long working hours,absolutely no possibility of progress or salary increase,no motivation,politics....

Advice to Management

If you don't start investing in PEOPLE no one would want to work there. You have to start appreciating hard work and motivate people to do better

"not the best"

Pros

Nice people. Good team. Great atmosphere.

Cons

Too much pressure. No appreciation for people.

"Lots to improve"

I have been working at Oakam full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you find yourself in a right place, at a right time, then you might be able to grow. Otherwise, it's quite tricky for advisors to show their abilities and achieve something within company.

Cons

Attitude of the managers towards advisors and support staff.
    Non-existent salary reviews or bonus.
    No benefits for employees.

Advice to Management

Start listenining.

"Great company to work for always reaching for the top"

I have been working at Oakam full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate, driven company and keen to achieve tough goals.
    Lots of opportunity to grow and stretch yourself.

Cons

Can get very busy very quickly. You must be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously as pivots are common.

Advice to Management

Keep on expanding, there more ground to take.

"WARNING"

Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good for arrivals. For 3 months only.

Cons

I warning all before apply to this company. Oakam will being treated like a slave by 15K a year. Offer work in the Store assumes: (serving tea, coffee, washing floors, vacuuming, distribution of leaflets and customer service - who are sometimes dangerous). 2014 - 1st assault with a weapon in hand, 2015 2nd assault with a weapon in his hand applied to head of Advisor. On the other hand if you want to work in the Head Office (oral and e-mail results enforcement work, coaxing customers to take larger amounts of loans, the daily threat of dismissal). While you thinking about executives to count with this that they can fire form job day-to-day. In the last 2 months of the company gone or has been released about 30 people. Employee turnover is huge. No benefits!

Advice to Management

Don't treat people like slaves!

"Every medal has its reverse."

Current Employee - Store Advisor
    Current Employee - Store Advisor

Pros

Oakam is great company to work with as it provides fantastic experience in very challenging environment. It's something more than just loan company, all staff are always friendly and responsive. I'm happy to be at Oakam.

Cons

It's really difficult to find new customers, moreover, development of digital applications get less chances for stores to find them, because of invention of score cards, which automatically blocks "risky" customers.
    Also, a lot of customers get annoyed because of number of calls from Oakam and ask to opt them out from the system, as if they need more loans they now where to find us. One of our mission is to "build relationships" which our customers, however, regular calls are destroying it as we are too "obsessive".
    Existing customers are afraid to apply for TU, because we don't provide BR anymore and Bronze/Silver/ Gold rates are not interesting many of them.

Advice to Management

To think less about targets but more about people. Try to do more marketing and develop something similar to BR system, which would help to attract more customers and let existing customers to apply again and again.