Oakland Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "General Manager"

Current Employee - Owner in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Owner in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Oakland Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Own Company, self-employed owner contract engineer. Expert on Toyota Production System and lean mfg

Cons

Not enough clients, customers, need better marketing strategy

Advice to Management

None

"Worst experience of my career"

Former Employee - Recruiting Manager in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Recruiting Manager in Lanham, MD

I worked at Oakland Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a 7-11 in walking distance

Cons

CEO is meddlesome and refuses to share decision making authority with SMEs hired to run their respective pieces of the business. In addition, the facilities are atrocious, mold permeates the building and their are dead insects left to decompose in the 70s style ceiling lights. Individual work spaces are not separated from common areas and their appears to be no desire to invest in upgrading the facilities or infrastructure. Very difficult environment to work in by itself but when coupled with ownership's hand's on style you'd be wise to pass on this employer.

Advice to Management

Stick with the rental properties.

"I should have declined the offer of employment"

Current Employee - Staffing Manager in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Staffing Manager in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Oakland Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is small enough that individual employees have direct access to C-level executive. The employee benefits (e.g. healthcare, vacation, 401K) are good and comparable to other companies providing similar services.

Cons

Infrastructure leaves much to be desired and Ownership is hands-on to the point of interfering with SMEs performing their duties. Expectations are unrealistic given the organizations size and current operating status. HR, payroll, and matters of facility security are all handled by a single employee meaning none are performed at a satisfactory level.

Advice to Management

Stick with property management as it appears to be ownership's core area of competence.

"Small company with growth potential."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

Pros

OCG is a small intimate organization with easy access to steak holders. There is professional growth and earning potential with OCG

Cons

The infrastructure is poor as is the process control and oversight. Administrative support staff are asked to multitask and there is no specialization in-house with regard to Accounting, Security, Payroll, HR, etc.

Advice to Management

Invest in infrastructre. Once SMEs are hired to take control of specific processes/ duties senior management needs to buy-in to the change. The status quo needs to change and that starts at the executive level.

"leaving blank"

Pros

Annual meeting trips, people are nice for the most part.

Cons

Pay is not great, not the best management and the head of the company seems to be busy with matters outside the company. Not a bad place to work but I would say third or forth on the list if you have something else.

Advice to Management

As Steve Jobs, hire smart people and allow them to do their job. Listen!

6. "Gave them the benefit of the doubt...wish I wouldn't have"

I worked at Oakland Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They get cake for your birthday.

Cons

Many.... but the Office Manager Kathleen Jacobs takes the cake! She acts nice to your face, but she is the most untrustworthy/unprofessional person I've met in a company work place. She is in charge of way too much too (HR, Office Management, Payments/Billing/Payroll etc.). she is not professional trained to do any of these jobs and I know she has done illegal things too. Every week was an argument over my timesheet and paychecks- I caught her multiple times deducting Vacation Time when she should have been deducting Sick Leave instead. The reason she did this to me and others is because if and when you leave (bc everyone does) they do not have to pay out sick leave. She has also changed my signed and approved timesheets to cheat me out of money or leave...illegal!!! FYI they are under investigation for timecard fraud. She is the CEO's spy and is constantly lying to him about the most frivolous things just to start drama and deflect attention from how poorly she does her own job!

The CEO is another major issue at this company. He is cheap and completed off balanced. He calls his employees at all hours of the night/off hours about ridiculous things bc he is never on site and always needs things at the drop of a hat not matter what. I believe his control freak ways are partly to blame on the fact that he is never at the actual office, so he has his spy Kathleen their making everyone's lives hell. They also force you take an hour lunch break everyday, bc they just want to get as much time out you each week day as possible.

They lied to me upon offering me a job. I was told that comp time/flex schedule and or remote work were all allowed bc of the nature of my position and the crazy hours I need to work to meet tight deadlines. The first time I tried to ever use any of this I was told by the COO that is not our policy and I'm not allowed to have that benefit...even though I was told by the two direct bosses who hired me that I was. I was also pushed to do many things out of my scope of work with little to no support or not provided essential tools I was promised to do my job properly. You will have not no work life balance at this company and it doesn't matter one bit how well you do your job.

When I gave my two weeks notice I was harassed by Kathleen to the point that I ended up not even finishing out my last few days of work their. Just horrible!

Advice to Management

Fire Kathleen Jacobs.... She is running the company in the ground (didn't she pay a consultant for like a months for doing no work and she is the main reason they are being investigated for illegal timecard issues). Lastly, she makes all employees miserable. Stop spending money the go to DR every year and maybe actually fix the "new" bathrooms that leak water everywhere and leaking ceilings. Then maybe invest in tools that people need to do their job more effectively. Oh and if you want your company to be successful maybe you should actually come to the office regularly considering you think it's so important for everyone else to be there 24/7!

"Stay away"

I worked at Oakland Consulting full-time

Pros

I can't think of one.

Cons

No work life balance. CEO with antiquated ideas on how a company treats employees. If you are a go getter and on a career trajectory stay away. This company doesn't care.

Advice to Management

Value your employees who work hard. Not everyone is a slacker. Comp time for working overtime is not unreasonable nor is teleworking occasionally. Respect your employees by at least acting like you care about more than making money.

"Useless Company Owned by a Veteran"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Oakland Consulting as a contractor

Pros

McDonalds restaurant is at a walk able distance from this office.

Cons

The owner does not care how this company runs. He is getting business from Federal Government as he served in Military(???). Staff are not professional. They do not pay on time. The company has some senior executives those are not sensitive to anything but money.

Advice to Management

Recruit consultants on the skills required not they are cheap. Care about client needs.

9. "Great People"

Current Employee - Associate in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Oakland Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent people with whom to work
    Very high calibre client list
    Research based Thought leadership - and deep expertise
    based in Yorkshire - but works globally!

Cons

none i have observed - this is a well focussed, well managed business

Advice to Management

Don't lose the focus on Quality