Oakland County, MI Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Good benefits, fiscally sound county, good pay for government work, good work-life balance, interesting work and opportunities (in 4 reviews)

• Great work place , great people , and lots of new thing to learn (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • As part time benefits not available (in 2 reviews)

• You could probably make more working at Costco, the good old boys club is alive and well (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Waterford, MI
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Waterford, MI

I worked at Oakland County, MI part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very close knit group with values in order. Very geared towards customer service and presentation to the communities. Great company to work for!

Cons

Very much about perception and appearance, sometimes clientele have extreme expectations and feel entitled to extremely high standards. Seasonal positions are hard in Michigan.

2. "IT employees nice, management less so"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

Pros

The benefits are at least halfway decent. The employees are willing to help each other.

Cons

Micromanagement is the norm. The building is going to an open office setup where management will be see who is away from their desk even for a second. If employees can think of an easier way to do something, forget it. The answer from management is always that you have to follow their long complicated procedures for even the simplest things. Training is minimal. Technology is always changing, but training is only available for the favored few who butter up the bosses. The way they get people to leave is to tell you that you are moving to an undesirable spot. Noisy, high traffic, bad temperature, whatever. Presumably if you don't take the hint, they find other ways. I was lucky that I could take the hint & go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

You should pay attention to how you really treat people & not just talk about how great you all are. These days, word travels faster and farther than it used to.

3. "IT Department - Not a good experience."

Former Employee - Social Media Specialist in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Social Media Specialist in Pontiac, MI

I worked at Oakland County, MI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were friendly and willing to help when needed. Working outside events made the position tolerable. Working in the basement of a building is very difficult and that is where the shoved our department.

Cons

Management was terrible, they take micromanagement to a different level. Not open to new ideas and a very closed off, non-creative work environment. The process for layoffs is also very unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Trust the talent you hire and let them do their job.

"Love the job, admin does NOT respect us and will not pay us market rate for our hard work in the community"

Current Employee - Public Health Nurse II in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Public Health Nurse II in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at Oakland County, MI full-time

Pros

Autonomy and being able to help the most vulnerable of our population
    Tuition reimbursement
    Respect from members of the community
    Opportunity to go to really interesting and worthwhile conferences

Cons

No respect from HR, sanitarians were given a 16% raise and we were not even though it was in our union contract. New legislation (Public Act 54 of 2011) bans us from getting retroactive pay. Even HR and admins got hefty raises but they hate on us and we are the ones earning the county respect and recognition- NOT HR, not nursing administration.

Advice to Management

Pay us!

6. "Custodial2"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Pontiac, MI

I worked at Oakland County, MI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits insurance limited supervision.life insurance 401A

Cons

Management byist,paycuts benefit changes.supervision favoritism

Advice to Management

Treat employees with honesty,dignity,respect.Harassment on the job creates a hostile work envirment for employees with managment.

"Office Assistant Advancement"

Current Employee - Office Assistant I in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Office Assistant I in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at Oakland County, MI (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pleasant office environment. Professional co-workers. Supervisors who genuinely care about staff.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement within the Admin/Clerical realm are based on a single test given by HR that determines if you meet the minimum qualifications. If you don't qualify under this particular test, there is no recourse to pursue advancement in Admin. There are no other tests, no appeals, no exceptions. Not sure how scoring is done because applicants cannot receive a copy of the test they took or get feedback or information regarding scoring. No primer on how to pass the test. But the kicker is, there are no opportunities for retakes. Everyone is notified the day after testing is closed, then you must wait until testing reopens in one year. There seems to be higher scoring on questions that pertain to situational dilemmas, and minimal scores on actual clerical skills like, accurate typing, spelling, punctuation, grammar, math skills, operating office equipment, etc. I've been Admin for over 20 years, have excellent clerical skills; I am the "go to" person in my office (of 20+ people) for help in Word, Excel and Access and the software that is exclusive to the county and my department. So I am very sure that I aced the skill part of the test. I have no idea how I did on the rest of the test, b/c you can't get a copy of your test or results. When working with a trainee in my dept., I am guessing that scoring for the Admin test must have skipped the skill portion of the test. Her spelling, grammar, punctuation, math etc. leave a lot to be desired. Not to mention, that her level of proficiency on Word and Excel were greatly exaggerated in her interview. I'm disappointed that HR relies solely on this one test which is light in actual clerical skills to determine if a candidate for Admin would be qualified for full-time Admin work; even in the same department where she has already proven herself as a part-time Administrative Assistant. I wish they would look at all aspects of an applicant that wants to advance within the organization.

Advice to Management

Please consider a more well-rounded testing method for employees who would like to advance within the organization. Perhaps basing it on their actual skill set instead of how they answer questions based on random situational scenarios. But at the very least, please consider allowing applicants to obtain a copy of their test and the test results so that they may see where they failed and try to do better the next time. I understand that these tests are performed by an outside company to eliminate nepotism and bias, but there seems to be no room for HR to look at all aspects of an applicant... to consider someone's resume, their work experience, and even recommendations from their supervisors. There's got to be a better way than "the Test" for employees to advance.

"Job Stability & Career Advancement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Oakland County, MI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Oakland County is a very stable organization with competitive, above average benefits.

Cons

My wages are not as high as the what private jobs would offer. There are not many opportunities for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for job enrichment.

9. "Parks and Recreation Seasonal program specialist"

Former Employee - Seasonal Program Specialist in Waterford, MI
    Former Employee - Seasonal Program Specialist in Waterford, MI

Pros

Flexible work hours, nice working outside, good pay

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement, poor management, not a great culture

10. "Great Opprotunities"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Waterford, MI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Waterford, MI

I have been working at Oakland County, MI (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and great staff. Great support from IT and upper management.

Cons

Position needs to be full time.

Advice to Management

Instead of having part time hours, make this a full time position.

11. "Summer Intern"

Former Employee - Student Intern in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Student Intern in Pontiac, MI

Pros

Great salary for a student intern. It was a great way to start learning things for a career

Cons

Tasks can be extremely mundane times, lots of paperwork. I understood after working there why our government is so slow at times

Advice to Management

I really can't say much about this since i was only an Intern. but the organizational vision changes after every election.