Oakland Housing Authority Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great employment"

I have been working at Oakland Housing Authority full-time

Pros

Job security, pay and coworkers.

Cons

None, it is like all employers- there is room for improvement.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "OHAPD"

Former Employee - Officer/Investigator in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Officer/Investigator in Oakland, CA

I worked at Oakland Housing Authority full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growth, perks, hours, benefits. Great Chief and ability to grow as an officer. You have many different ways to and options to learn about various units. CALEA approved department. Family feel.

Cons

Certain Sergeants and officers are shown favoritism and unfortunately it is the ones with bad values and character flaws. This leaks out into the culture and it affects very negatively. Male to female ratio is big.

Advice to Management

Overall the department is great, just the usual political issues. I believe in the Chief.

3. "Ok place to work with room for improvement"

Current Employee - Housing Representative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Oakland Housing Authority full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For single people or those with one other family member, the least costly medical benefit is free.

Cons

Typical office politics, acts of favoritism, over worked, under paid

Advice to Management

Take care of your staff. If you have well treated, paid and respected employees, the agency could be so much better for all that encounter it.

"If all you want is a paycheck with great benefits"

Former Employee - HAR I in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - HAR I in Oakland, CA

I worked at Oakland Housing Authority full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was nice
    Having a union was nice
    Benefits were nice
    The general consensus was that we were there to help people

Cons

The culture is terrible. It's about who likes who unfortunately. Managers are disrespectful to staff, and make it uncomfortable to work or ask questions. The bullies win here.

Advice to Management

If performance across an entire team was once stellar and then drastically declines, look at the OBVIOUS changes that have possibly caused this. And don't be so quick to make changes. Supermarket sweep mentality (instant gratification) is never good.

5. "terrible place to work"

Current Employee - Housing Representative in Oakland, CA

Pros

benefts are reasonably good considering it is a government job. But salary is lower for housing representatives than it used to be.

Cons

terrible leadership. They go to seminars and trainings to learn how to use all the buzzwords and then try to apply their abstract principles to an environment where it is not suited. Employee morale is very low. Especially since housing representatives have been reclassified to hourly employees.

Advice to Management

Hire management who is well educated but also has strong practical experience in the field and who know what it takes to get the job done.

"Don't walk, run...."

Current Contractor - Housing Assistance Representative in Oakland, CA
    Current Contractor - Housing Assistance Representative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Oakland Housing Authority as a contractor

Pros

Great benefits and an overall cool staff. If you like being micromanaged and cussed out by your boss this is a great place for you.

Cons

Everything else. I mean it's so far beyond worse than typical government in that there's so much corruption within the organization, particularly surrounding their budget and hiring practices. Civil service was created to ensure the most qualified for positions were hired rather than what's happening there. A gross amount of back-handed nepotism or favoritism leaving incompetent staffers in charge of projects and departments they have no business participating in. Meanwhile the cogs that keep the agency spinning are under paid, overworked, treated like step children, then asked to be extremely patient and flexible in dealing with leaders. My headline is don't walk, run because that's the best advice I can give any young professional seeking employment here. Save yourself, leave before you even think about working at this place.

Advice to Management

Hire people qualified to the perform the duties in your bogus job descriptions. Additionally create job descriptions that also fit the type of work employees are actually performing.

"Very little reason to care..."

Current Employee - Housing Assistance Representative in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Housing Assistance Representative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Oakland Housing Authority full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Show up and collect a paycheck. The ability to mindlessly go through life is alive and well at OHA.

Cons

No reason to work hard. The chosen ones get ahead regardless of their abilities. Morons dont get fired and hard working intelligent employees are feared, even though the same idiots have been in management for years.

Advice to Management

Your staff doesnt trust or appreciate your existance. Middle management does as they please, which is not a whole lot. Nobody cares one way or the other, management knows it... And doesnt care either.

"Run this place is crazy"

Pros

Nothing this is a horrible place to work!!

Cons

Working here, co workers, upper management, pay

Advice to Management

Fix this dump

"Value Your People..."

Former Contractor - OS-1 in Oakland, CA
    Former Contractor - OS-1 in Oakland, CA

I worked at Oakland Housing Authority as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Really can't acknowledge any. The compensation was good.

Cons

Left disrespected, not valued, depressed and used... Not trustworthy.

Advice to Management

Everything rises and falls on leadership and if your leadership doesn't care about people, guess what, it will show up in the organization.

"Like walking on eggshells the whole time. They expect you to know the admin plan but there are way too many exceptions."

Former Employee - Office Specialist I in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Office Specialist I in Oakland, CA

I worked at Oakland Housing Authority full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A few small group of people who worked there made the time better. It's all about being happy at work and I hardly felt that

Cons

I was not getting the appropriate training but was asked to execute tasks. Managers were not around, my supervisor was very inexperienced and I wasn't getting what I needed as far as learning and helping clients to the best of my ability. I was told I was asking too many questions but it felt as if I was revealing all that was swept under the rug.
    One manager spoke to me as if I was a 10 year old and always spoke with a condescending tone. She didn't do what she said she was going to do. She was always late or never available for information or support. She went so far as to tell me it was my problem that I wasn't getting the necessary training and told me I was not allowed to email her anymore.
    Many of the veterans lack respect to others and there were so many inefficiencies which made no sense because the department was overstaffed.
    I was hired as a Project Temp Office Specialist. The weekend of Christmas I was informally informed that my job may end due to over staffing. The following week, I went to work, finished my day and got terminated on the spot. The way it went down was very unprofessional and it made me feel devalued, defeated and left a terrible impression working at Oakland Housing Authority. I was told that I was on a list of qualified employees and if any positions opened up, I'd be the first to know and be rehired. One day after I was terminated, an Office Specialist quit. I wasn't called it. I believe this had to do with office politics. I can tell that the management did not like me because I pointed out all the flaws and inefficiencies and maybe I was overeager to learn my job and do it correctly. I wanted to change the stigma of government offices by providing superior customer service but because I was untrained, I felt I was not able to accomplish my goal.

Advice to Management

When you hire people for a temporary position, it would be considerate to let the person know maybe a week in advice at the least that their job will end. I was still in the middle of training and had no idea I would be terminated from working one day to never returning. Also, know their value. I was a certified bilingual translator with many years of experience and I'm sure another department would have been happy to have me.
    The way I was fired lacked tact. It made me feel devalued and foolish for applying myself so entirely to my training in hopes of keeping my job. I would have liked to have had a warning and if I could have been relieved after the holidays. It completely devastated my family Christmas and New Year.