Oakland Innovation Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael Zeitlyn
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Senior Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Oakland Innovation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. Colleagues are all highly intellectual but very humble and nice to work with. A very good place for science graduates to enter the consultancy industry. 1st month training structure is excellent. One can learn a lot from colleagues.

Cons

Lack of communication in career progression structure in 2015 due to being merged with Science Group.

Advice to Management

Try to keep the Oakland culture after merging into Science Group as a lot of staff stayed on because of the company culture.

2. "Demoralising and Questionable Work Culture"

I worked at Oakland Innovation full-time

Pros

I was lucky enough to work with some interesting people.

Cons

The working environment is not great. The people around you didn't seem like they were enjoying their work and you could feel negative energy floating across the office. It was in a way patronising have the CEO walk around the office more often than not to make sure you are doing your work, and in my opinion, just to make sure we are making him money.

"Not worth joining"

Former Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Oakland Innovation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work is interesting. Projects are mainly within FMCG so fairly varied. Interesting when you are starting out with projects.

Cons

Location is terrible without proper transport connections.
    Although I wasnt there for very long, career progress was slow, leading to a lot of frustration for employees. A number of employees (including experienced ones) were leaving the company. I was told that the working culture took a hit after the acquisition- difficult to say as I didnt know how it was before, but it is not a happy place to work in now. Turnover is reducing year on year.

I wouldnt recommend joining the company as limited career prospects and seems to be a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Improve your working culture. Your employees are your biggest asset- keep them happy.

4. "Positive"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

Pros

Its a fun place to work with lots of interesting people. There is a fast pace of work, but lots of opportunity, and interesting cultural diversity

Cons

There is an Oakland way of doing things

Advice to Management

keep the old style of fun in the new structure

"Interesting and varied work, unfortunate acquisition"

Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

Great, bright people, very friendly environment within Oakland. Excellent clients, and varied work. Decent pay, pension, health and life insurance etc. Very professional environment, and great countryside setting, especially in the summer. Consultants form strong, long term relationships with impressive client base, leading to a lot of repeat business.

Cons

Location. Poor train, bus and road access to the office. Science Group is sucking the fun out of Oakland, obsessed with profit regardless of the impact on the workforce. Oakland will only promote when the business needs it to, or they think they are about to lose someone; senior management have fun, well paid jobs, causing saturated upper levels, impacting progression further down.

Advice to Management

Give the analysts more responsibility! Take them to the client sites, teach them more about the project lifecycle, and dissolve the huge analyst/consultant divide. Stand up for Oakland against Science Group, don't be afraid of them finding out we are being social and organising fun (which is not billable).

If you want analysts to be more productive, stop obsessing over time sheets and let us do our job. If you want accurate forecasts of time spent on projects, force consultants to be honest about the hours they are not billing to the clients. Mid management runs the show, picking up any slack or polishing from the analysts and the stress from above. You need more analysts, and high quality C2s.

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Oakland Innovation full-time

Pros

A modern office full of bright and talented people that work hard and enjoy a wide range of challenging and interesting projects. It really is the people that make Oakland a great place to work with a diverse range of nationalities and scientific disciplines

Cons

Haven't been as busy as it was in the past which means that there has been more time for distractions, this now seems to be changing as the projects are coming in at a faster pace

Advice to Management

Keep at the communications - it has improved, but still needs to be more often and focussed on the right things.

"Demotivating and demoralising"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Oakland Innovation as a contractor

Pros

Flexible working hours. Nothing special there as other companies offer their employee the same flexibility.

Cons

Management really don't treat employee with respect and dignity they deserve

No adequate training given to staff.

Shatters confidence in employees on daily basis.

Staff turnover is twice as high as average staff turnover in Cambridge.

Employees who has a view seen as trouble.

Exaggerate weakness and blow it out of proportion.

Advice to Management

None as they are not interested.

"Demotivating place to work"

I have been working at Oakland Innovation full-time

Pros

The only pro of working here is the flexibility that the company offers. It is especially useful for people with kids (although I do not have any kids so not an advantage for me).

Cons

Where do i start?
    Very demotivating. You work hard, but are not adequately rewarded.
    The company does not care about employee's professional development. It is a 25 year old company so you would expect it to be a bit more secure about its position and develop employees professionally, but they are so worried about employees leaving that insufficient investment is made in training (training offered is a joke!) or encouraging employees to develop client relationship. The latter is almost frowned upon!
    It is an innovation consulting firm, but sadly employees are not allowed to innovate themselves! There are a bunch of really smart people in here, but ideas are not accepted. Leads to a lot of frustration.
    People joining other consulting firms (even those not directly competing with the company) are made to feel miserable, with some also led out of the office!
    Confidence is broken and rebuilt so that they fit into the firm- they call it 'training'!
    I can add a few more, but the fact is a large number of very good (and experienced) people have left in the recent past because of their people management strategy. They were losing experienced people by the 'second', and that presumably was the reason for the owners to decide to sell it to their competitor before everyone left!

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice for management. It is pointless giving them advice since no one listens. They do what they feel is best for their own pockets.